Match Thread: Championship Semi-final, Featherstone Rovers v Halifax Saturday-2nd-October-2021

The Phantom Horseman

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping the scoreline is such that I'll want to carry on watching after halftime, but I have my doubts 😬

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

57 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

High chance of rain forecast for Saturday, 40% from around 2pm rising to 80% by KO time with a moderate (uphill) breeze

Looked like it could be pretty poor conditions from the forecast I saw at breakfast this morning. Won't be many stood on the terraces! 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

14 hours ago, jamescolin said:

Any team news for the game? I hope we have a full team out. UTR

21-man squad quad will be announced 48 hours before the game as is always the case, so Thursday afternoon is when we can expect it.

So the discussions on page 1 of this thread is still pretty much where we're at, and given we probably only have about 20-21 fit players we're unlikely to have too many clues until the 17 are announced an hour before kick off on Saturday.

38 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Makes it a bit more interesting if it chucks it down.

Yes, would definitely be a bit of a leveller (warm and dry forecast for Toulouse). As I've posted on the main forum one of the outsiders winning on Saturday wouldn't be that much of a shock to me but (and I'm pretty sure you agree) backing that up the following week would be unlikely. I only hope that Covid plays no part in any of the 3 games coming up.

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Yes, would definitely be a bit of a leveller (warm and dry forecast for Toulouse). As I've posted on the main forum one of the outsiders winning on Saturday wouldn't be that much of a shock to me but (and I'm pretty sure you agree) backing that up the following week would be unlikely. I only hope that Covid plays no part in any of the 3 games coming up.

I just can't see either of the outsiders winning, Toulouse and Fev are a distance clear of any of the other teams. 

5 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Yeah I think we have a better chance than Batley, I can only see a Toulouse rowt in that one, but like you say to win two games as massive outsiders would be miraculous. Its weird but I do want a Toulouse V Fev final because it would be a really exciting game but I just want us to compete and have a bit of excitment for ourselves. I just hope we don't get hammered.

12 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

I just can't see either of the outsiders winning, Toulouse and Fev are a distance clear of any of the other teams. 

I don't think even Fax fans think that their team is as good as ours, but perhaps a better question to ask is, if this Fev team played this Fax team ten times, how many of those games would we win? I think we'd beat Fax at least eight, maybe nine times out of ten but you'd probably get an upset in one of those games, and that's why it's not a foregone conclusion.

Even though we may "be a distance clear" of the other teams bar Toulouse, we have still had some close calls. We won at York with a breakaway try when they were going for the match-winning drop goal; Widnes would probably have beaten us in the 1895 Cup semi final with some steadier finishing; we beat Halifax and Batley by 8 points each, and Bradford by 6.

If there's one thing my background in betting has taught me it that it's always better to think in probabilistic terms rather than deterministic ones when predicting an outcome. I reckon we have about a 90% chance of winning this weekend.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I don't think even Fax fans think that their team is as good as ours, but perhaps a better question to ask is, if this Fev team played this Fax team ten times, how many of those games would we win? I think we'd beat Fax at least eight, maybe nine times out of ten but you'd probably get an upset in one of those games, and that's why it's not a foregone conclusion.

Even though we may "be a distance clear" of the other teams bar Toulouse, we have still had some close calls. We won at York with a breakaway try when they were going for the match-winning drop goal; Widnes would probably have beaten us in the 1895 Cup semi final with some steadier finishing; we beat Halifax and Batley by 8 points each, and Bradford by 6.

If there's one thing my background in betting has taught me it that it's always better to think in probabilistic terms rather than deterministic ones when predicting an outcome. I reckon we have about a 90% chance of winning this weekend.

I do like UB 40❗😃

4 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

In 2010 we played 'fax 3 times before the GF winning all 3 with an aggregate score of something like 120-50 but in the one that really mattered... . 

No Junior Moors if the RFL Match centre alphabetical order protocol is being followed.

That will be a major blow with Day, Harrison and Springer already missing from the pack.

Fergie's in the 21 but remains to be seen if he plays.

Walker and Welham the 2 players missing alphabetically you'd presume.

https://www.rugby-league.com/match-centre/match-preview/2216678

I'd guess Beckett, Blackmore, Parata and Fergie to miss out, or Cooper if Fergie is selected.

44 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

In 2010 we played 'fax 3 times before the GF winning all 3 with an aggregate score of something like 120-50 but in the one that really mattered... . 

Exactly bottom line FAX can't win but FEV can lose all depends on what we bring to the table

Looks like a strong squad.Who do you leave out. Do you leave out Parata in favour of Holmes?? Leave out Beckett and Cooper play Ferguson ?? and Blackmore for Gale ?? Whod be Webster certainly not me.

Archived