Match Thread: Championship Semi-final, Featherstone Rovers v Halifax Saturday-2nd-October-2021

The Phantom Horseman

Do you concentrate 100% on this game, or do you have half an eye on the final? If they get to the final they need matchwinners like Fergie in the side, especially if Moors is out. So he needs to play about 20 mins on Saturday, which is probably not the best option for the semi?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As stated in above posts it looks like plenty of forward play down the middle Sat.So my team would be.On reflection it would be daft not to play Websters choice Walker at Full Back.    Walker Hall Welham Hardcastle Gale       Brown Chizzy    Koppy Jones Ferres    Halton Lockwood  Bussey. Subs Parata Davies Holmes and Ferggy.Think that team would be good enough for a double point win.

For me webbo's big decisions are for the bench

1st     JD first name on the sheet

2nd   calum or jack which one starts 

3rd     second hooker or a 3rd half back 

4th     does fergie get the nod  or is it coops/ beckett 

Eleven  of the others  pick themselves webbo  just has to decide does  craig H play on the wing or in the centre with ben or josh making up the first thirteen

14 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

As stated in above posts it looks like plenty of forward play down the middle Sat.So my team would be.On reflection it would be daft not to play Websters choice Walker at Full Back.    Walker Hall Welham Hardcastle Gale       Brown Chizzy    Koppy Jones Ferres    Halton Lockwood  Bussey. Subs Parata Davies Holmes and Ferggy.Think that team would be good enough for a double point win.

The bench is short of a forward. Five pivots in 17 is too many.

1 minute ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Put another forward in then Holmes has to drop out .Who is going to cover the backs?.

The same players who have covered the backs every game this season, three forwards and a pivot.

You are not always right even if you think you are.

No-one is. It's a forum of opinions. Unless James Webster is on here.........

9 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Put another forward in then Holmes has to drop out .Who is going to cover the backs?.You are not always right even if you think you are.

A bit unnecessary that, I think. Especially as his point is correct about it being unlikely that we'd go with both Holmes and Parata on the bench and only two middles.

1 minute ago, marklaspalmas said:

The same players who have covered the backs every game this season, three forwards and a pivot.

No-one is. It's a forum of opinions. Unless James Webster is on here.........

So do you leave Holmes out and have no cover for the backs.In the threequarters we have Welham and Hardcastle who could do a short stint in the back row in an emergency.Whats wrong with some forwards playing 60min+ or even the odd one 80 min.I don't want Webster to leave Parata out because i think he can give us some go forward down the middle.If another forward is picked i presume it would be Field who has not let us down.

1 minute ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

A bit unnecessary that, I think. Especially as his point is correct about it being unlikely that we'd go with both Holmes and Parata on the bench and only two middles.

Like me you have strong opinions .Post what you think the team should be.The team i picked is a team i think would be best suited to win the game.That's why i picked Bussey at 13 a bit more mobile than Locky  and better ball handler.One of my favourite players John Davies only on the bench because he gives us energy and uplift when he comes on.Who would you leave off the bench not Webster Parata or Holmes?.I think you would probably pick Field instead of Parata.Field has not let us down and is improving but i think Parata will be more dangerous for this game.

29 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

So do you leave Holmes out and have no cover for the backs.In the threequarters we have Welham and Hardcastle who could do a short stint in the back row in an emergency.Whats wrong with some forwards playing 60min+ or even the odd one 80 min.I don't want Webster to leave Parata out because i think he can give us some go forward down the middle.If another forward is picked i presume it would be Field who has not let us down.

Well, again, picking the team is a tough job I'm not qualified to do.

In a ideal world, I would have a team of 25+ because I like all our players.

but for this match v Fax, in my opinon, which may be wrong, I think we need....

Three middles off the bench like every week. For mine, Davies, Field and Fergie over Coops for size. That leaves room only for Parata or Holmes. I'd go for Holmes and I think Dean Parata is a great player.

Whichever team is put out, I think we'll win.

6 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Like me you have strong opinions .Post what you think the team should be.The team i picked is a team i think would be best suited to win the game.That's why i picked Bussey at 13 a bit more mobile than Locky  and better ball handler.One of my favourite players John Davies only on the bench because he gives us energy and uplift when he comes on.Who would you leave off the bench not Webster Parata or Holmes?.I think you would probably pick Field instead of Parata.Field has not let us down and is improving but i think Parata will be more dangerous for this game.

Have nothing against strong opinions, just suggesting that Mark LP is "not always right even if he thinks he is" was a bit over the top.

As for your question: it's not so much down to which individual I'd leave out but more how many of which type of player you have on the bench ie playing 2 pivots and two middles off the bench rather than 1 pivot, three middles. If you only have Davies and Fergie as middles that totally changes the usual system of substitutions that most coaches use.

It means that you can spell two out of Kopczak, Lockwood and Bussey at the usual time (ie around 25 minutes) but the other one would probably have to play on well into the second half...and then when you spell him (let's say you ask Locky to play the first 50 minutes) you are bringing back either Kopczak or Bussey meaning you only have one other middle available when you'd want to spell Davies and Fergie.

Of course you can ask one of the middles to play big minutes but the argument would be that they are much less effective when asked to do so (Locky in particular hardly ever misses a tackle when he's fresh but he does when he's tired) and two of our middles are 34 and 35. It would be really unusual to play two pivots on the bench as it just makes the interchanges and getting the most out of your middles much more complicated.

I think Webster will leave Out Parata for Field.And Field would get the nod from me over Cooper .Can't see why we have to go with the same format for every game.Sometimes adjust the team to your opponents strengths and weaknesses.If our left edge lets us down again and we get beat Webster must carry the can.

Personally I'd leave Holmes out (though he is a game changer in his own right) because personally I believe that we can gain in and around the ruck with Parata's ability to see a gap in tiring defences. We can move Jones, Davis or Halton into the 3/4s if injuries dictate, which IMO is a better option that putting Holmes there if needed. Therefore 3 middles/2nd rowers on the bench for me and given the weather forecast the bigger the better. Therefore my side would be:

Walker Hall Welham Hardcastle Gale

Chizzy Brown

Koppy Jones Lockwood Ferres Halton Bussey

Subs Parata Davies Ferggy Cooper

Though I can see Ferguson missing out to Field. Field has played well for me this year, but just feel that Ferggy would give us a bit more grunt (dare I say mongrel) if the going gets tough. Just like everyone on here my opinion  does matter one jot, but keeps us entertained guessing while @4:30 tomorrow.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

32 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Personally I'd leave Holmes out (though he is a game changer in his own right) because personally I believe that we can gain in and around the ruck with Parata's ability to see a gap in tiring defences. We can move Jones, Davis or Halton into the 3/4s if injuries dictate, which IMO is a better option that putting Holmes there if needed. Therefore 3 middles/2nd rowers on the bench for me and given the weather forecast the bigger the better. Therefore my side would be:

Chizzy Brown

Though I can see Ferguson missing out to Field. Field has played well for me this year, but just feel that Ferggy would give us a bit more grunt (dare I say mongrel) if the going gets tough. Just like everyone on here my opinion  does matter one jot, but keeps us entertained guessing while @4:30 tomorrow.

That would be my team as well.

2 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Chizzy Brown

Yep, I'd go with that too.  Makes perfect sense, especially with the weather we're forcast.

Just looked at the 'fax squad and there's not a single player I'd take of theirs. So why am I so nervous about this game?

28 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Just looked at the 'fax squad and there's not a single player I'd take of theirs. So why am I so nervous about this game?

Because it’s a semi.

Fev by 20 for me as I’ve told Ovenden Grumt. He knows it makes sense 😂

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

Archived