Jump to content

Super League gets a whisky or two ... (and a gin, and a vodka ...)


Recommended Posts


If they can get them out in time I can see a few of these selling at Christmas, not sure about the rest of the year. Any new sponsors that come on board is good news.

 

As part of our partnership, The Loch Lomond Group will produce a range of limited-edition club branded products, which will see a percentage of the proceeds fed back into clubs as well as the charities of their choice.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting and very much a different vibe to some of our more traditional sponsors. Taking the comments on the press release at face value it is also interesting that the company refers to the sports place in communities and the importance of participation.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Its a fairly low end brand of scotch whisky,  must admit when they came on board with wigan I had to do a bit of checking as I hadn't heard of them

Doesn’t matter where their product sits in the price scale of whisky, they’re a national brand who already work with some prestigious tournaments such as the open golf (not that I watch golf myself). This is good news. 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

They've partnered with Wigan all of this year haven't they?

According to the press release, yes.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Doesn’t matter where their product sits in the price scale of whisky, they’re a national brand who already work with some prestigious tournaments such as the open golf (not that I watch golf myself). This is good news. 

All national brands are welcome as long as it's nothing like the Eddie Stobart deal

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Doesn’t matter where their product sits in the price scale of whisky, they’re a national brand who already work with some prestigious tournaments such as the open golf (not that I watch golf myself). This is good news. 

national brand it may be, but as a seasoned whisky drinker, wasn't a brand i was familiar with.

 

i'm more familiar with their mass produced brands of blended whisky high commisioner, and Glens vodka, again lower end brands which they probably sell a fair few of (which keeps the lights on at the single malt distilleries)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Szymala said:

Is this not classed as alcohol sponsorship, which I thought had been outlawed with Stones Bitter etc ? Circumventing the system ?  

It’s just tobacco that was banned iirc, alcohol is advertised all over the place. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Damien said:

Its not outlawed. The 6 Nations is sponsored by Guinness.

Indeed. We've also had the Tetley's Super League and Challenge Cup in that time, as well as Singha Beer sponsoring the WC. 

It does become an issue with sponsor logos appearing on kids shirts, as it does for betting companies. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

It does become an issue with sponsor logos appearing on kids shirts, as it does for betting companies. 

Indeed - and should we have any Muslim/other players who are against alcohol then the logos get covered up.

But there's no law against it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Its a fairly low end brand of scotch whisky,  must admit when they came on board with wigan I had to do a bit of checking as I hadn't heard of them

I'm not sure it is a low end brand tbh. A less well known one maybe, but they have some expensive whisky for sale, and they have partnerships with brands like The Open. 

It'll be interesting to see what they advertise through us, as their starting point was Glen's Vodka which absolutely is low end. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They've also presented the occasional bottle to visiting players who have achieved some kind of career milestone. I remember someone from another club Tweeting about receiving one after the match.

And they're not exactly shy and retiring. Their website's headline says "Home to the best whisky in the world" which, according to them is the 25yo Glen Scotia. A bold claim - has anyone tried it?

If they've decided to go from a single club sponsor to a whole SL one, then the hookup with Wigan must have gone well.

Edited by Futtocks

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

They've also presented the occasional bottle to visiting players who have achieved some kind of career milestone. I remember someone from another club Tweeting about receiving one after the match.

And they're not exactly shy and retiring. Their website's headline says "Home to the best whisky in the world" which, according to them is the 25yo Glen Scotia. A bold claim - has anyone tried it?

If they've decided to go from a single club sponsor to a whole SL one, then the hookup with Wigan must have gone well.

Yep, they refer to the Wigan sponsorship going well. 

I think this is the first new SL deal for a while, so it is very welcome! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

They've partnered with Wigan all of this year haven't they?

It would certainly appear they've partnered with the squad since about round 7, I think.

Hopefully for Wigan fans a sponsorship with the Priory Clinic will be in place before Thursday night.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Indeed. We've also had the Tetley's Super League and Challenge Cup in that time, as well as Singha Beer sponsoring the WC. 

It does become an issue with sponsor logos appearing on kids shirts, as it does for betting companies. 

Isn't there some soccer clubs who have Thai beer sponsors?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...