Sat 25 Sept: Batley Bulldogs v Bradford Bulls KO 15:30 (TV)

Who will win?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Batley Bulldogs
    • Bradford Bulls

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/09/21 at 15:00

1 minute ago, dkw said:

Good player Elliott, good bloke too. Could go on to have a very good RL career, possibly even in SL.

He's got some pace all right and his technique was good when the defender came in.

Enjoyed the game and the atmosphere was great.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Tremendous entertainment, what did Bazzer say during the Wiggin/ Leeds game, don't expect to entertained when a clubs season depends on the result! Another load of guff from the Oldham sage. 

Wasn’t the most expansive rugby but the efforts phoned in by a couple of our bigger clubs this weekend was certainly shown up by these part-timers.

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Wasn’t the most expansive rugby but the efforts phoned in by a couple of our bigger clubs this weekend was certainly shown up by these part-timers.

Yep no way would either of those teams beat a SL club, but does that matter, this sport is in the entertainment industry something that bypasses a lot of SL coaches.

5 minutes ago, JonM said:

I know he played his first RL game at Loughborough Uni, but where's he from originally?

Certainly scored some great tries this season.

Think he’s from London but he went to a private (boarding) school in Brighton, would you believe? Challenges a few stereotypes, that lad.

Excellent game, on the edge of seat stuff. Although the Dogs were 16 up at half time there was  a bit too much one man stuff,  moving the ball about would have brought better results. Great defence by the Dogs..

On 24/09/2021 at 16:19, LongStandingBull said:

I’d say batley and I’d make them favourites too.

Bradford are in horrible form and I’ve said for a while they are happy to have made the playoffs and mentally checked out.

Plus home advantage should see Batley home as winners

Looks like I was right with this. Congratulations Batley. The best team won on the day. Good luck in the next round and we will see you again next year

Didn't see the game ... working and telly disconnected for associated purpose. However, I have some confidence in thinking that we won't get promoted with John Kear at the helm. "Not getting relegated " is our style of play these days. We have no mavericks and I think we play what amounts to stereotype rugby. The worst thing about today's result is that I'm not right bothered about it.

I'm bored stiff with relentles five drives and a kick. Mind you, it makes the fans' pubtime reminiscences much more fun than they were when we actually won stuff.

Stockholm syndrome has kicked in and, yes. I'll be renewing season tickets. To be fair, I've had forty-odd years of paying Income Tax and I'm never been overjoyed about that either.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

15 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Ran out of steam at end of season.  Well done Batley but Bulls best finish in 5 years I think and finally have some stability . 

Expecting even tougher battle for playoffs next year with Newcastle York and Widnes all stronger plus Barrow wont be an easy win.  

Hope free juniors is promoted and we can push for 5k in ground next year. 

Err, are you forgetting Leigh, do so at your own peril, there is no team yet but it will be one of the strongest in the Championship.

How about my 10 bob against yours that says Leigh finish higher than any of those you mention in '22?

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Err, are you forgetting Leigh, do so at your own peril, there is no team yet but it will be one of the strongest in the Championship.

How about my 10 bob against yours that says Leigh finish higher than any of those you mention in '22?

He said battle for the play-offs, not battle to finish top or achieve promotion. Otherwise why would he leave out all 4 teams who have made the semi finals, three of whom will still be in the Championship next season? He's just listed 3 teams who might progress to challenge for the play-offs next season.

20 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

He said battle for the play-offs, not battle to finish top or achieve promotion. Otherwise why would he leave out all 4 teams who have made the semi finals, three of whom will still be in the Championship next season? He's just listed 3 teams who might progress to challenge for the play-offs next season.

Simply because, he has been the self appointed Champion of Newcastle and York all season long, he would have had them promoted this season even though they would have been no better if not worse ill prepared than Leigh this season.

Anyway, I have just made him a slight wager for fun.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Simply because, he has been the self appointed Champion of Newcastle and York all season long, he would have had them promoted this season even though they would have been no better if not worse ill prepared than Leigh this season.

Anyway, I have just made him a slight wager for fun.

Ah ok. He's actually probably going to be right about Newcastle being stronger if rumours about their recruitment turn out to be right. Though whether that turns them into legit promotion contenders we'll have to see.

On 26/09/2021 at 01:40, Wolford6 said:

Didn't see the game ... working and telly disconnected for associated purpose. However, I have some confidence in thinking that we won't get promoted with John Kear at the helm. "Not getting relegated " is our style of play these days. We have no mavericks and I think we play what amounts to stereotype rugby. The worst thing about today's result is that I'm not right bothered about it.

I'm bored stiff with relentles five drives and a kick. Mind you, it makes the fans' pubtime reminiscences much more fun than they were when we actually won stuff.

Stockholm syndrome has kicked in and, yes. I'll be renewing season tickets. To be fair, I've had forty-odd years of paying Income Tax and I'm never been overjoyed about that either.

Ever since Kear coached Batley, I have said that his style of playing/coaching is only acceptable as long as they win. It is boring and the only hope is that your team win, which deflects from the style of play. Kear brought Batley some success, and it was enjoyable, but grindingly dull at times. (I would say I wouldn't swap the successes of 2013 and 2016 for anything though!)

19 minutes ago, distantdog said:

Ever since Kear coached Batley, I have said that his style of playing/coaching is only acceptable as long as they win. It is boring and the only hope is that your team win, which deflects from the style of play. Kear brought Batley some success, and it was enjoyable, but grindingly dull at times. (I would say I wouldn't swap the successes of 2013 and 2016 for anything though!)

Batley are a better side now than they were under Kear imo.  They play very well as a collective, which is what it’s all about.

Bradford will not change under him.

On 27/09/2021 at 14:45, distantdog said:

Agreed, the most impressive thing for me this season, is not just that we have won so many games, it has been we have won so many playing a very good brand of rugby.

Given our budgetary constraints, I never thought we would be able to replicate the successes we saw under JK or Harrison, whilst having a team that could play an attractive brand of football. Sunday was a bit of a typical grinding playoff game, compared to many this season. 

4 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

Agreed, the most impressive thing for me this season, is not just that we have won so many games, it has been we have won so many playing a very good brand of rugby.

Given our budgetary constraints, I never thought we would be able to replicate the successes we saw under JK or Harrison, whilst having a team that could play an attractive brand of football. Sunday was a bit of a typical grinding playoff game, compared to many this season. 

I largely agree. This season has been more or less, a pleasurable experience. That may be down to the unexpectedness of the success but our style has been a bit of a surprise. With a couple of exceptions, our wins under Kear were generally dull, and the two seasons 2014 and 2015 were really tough. 

The grind we saw last weekend was the best kind, a bit like the grind we saw in the first half of the NRC semi against Leigh.

Archived