Thu 23 Sept: Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos KO 19:45 (TV)

Who will win?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/09/21 at 19:15

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I have the BBC Five Live SE radio commentary and it sounds like everyone's scared to try anything risky.

Keep with that commentary.

Sky’s comes from an alternative dimension.

This is beyond safety first. This is two teams who just don’t seem to have any attacking plans and relying on decent defence and their opponents making errors.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I have the BBC Five Live SE radio commentary and it sounds like everyone's scared to try anything risky.

I wouldn't say that. Leeds have been throwing the ball away in silly fashion, and Wigan have generally been the same as they have for most of the season.

1 minute ago, Leeds Wire said:

It’s strangely gripping. It’s a case of who will be the worst of the two rather than who is the best.

I’m going for 1-0 to Wigan.

It doesn't really matter how good it is. One of these "poor" teams will go to the semi finals. That's all that matters.

I'm sure that entertaining wigan's biggest hater DKW is the last thing on their minds.

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

An Aussie NRL commentator more secure about the sport would’ve said it was a stinker of a half. We feel the need to insult the viewer’s intelligence by resorting to describing rudimentary defence as exciting. 

O’Connor said “it’s quick and intense” then later said “it’s been a brilliant contest so far”

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

There’s a total disconnect between the commentary and the game i’m watching . 

This is every bit as bad as the recent Hull v Wigan game that Brian Carney was so scathing about. Unsurprisingly he's not being so forthright about this one. 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

We feel the need to insult the viewer’s intelligence by resorting to describing rudimentary defence as exciting.

The one thing that's worse than that is describing every average player's basic rugby as if it's world-class. It starts to get a bit cringeworthy by the 30th time it's used before half-time.

Just now, Saint 1 said:

Is that really all that matters? I would have thought that building fluidity and performance would be as important at this stage given the goal is to win a Grand Final.

Yes, getting through this game is all that matters.

Do you think Wigan. or Leeds would really like to look back on this and think "We were really fluid and our performance was great but now we can sit down until next February"?

A less insecure sport, like Football, would report this in tomorrow's papers with "well, you get dud matches sometimes."

A more delusional (15-a-side) sport would report this in tomorrow's papers with "more pulsating than the throbbiest throbbing thing you could ever begin to imagine."

I guess I'll wake up to "it's the end of the WORLD!!!"

It's just a poor 40 minutes, which may well be followed by another.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

I think the winner would much prefer to go through to the next round going "we played really well there and are can be confident for next week" rather than "we won only because the only team was even worse than we were"

Maybe they would, but I think both of them would rather pick through a scrappy win than an adventurous loss. 

7 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Slaughtering a commentary team for talking up a dull game is so rugby league,funny how the late Bill McClaren was called legendary for doing the same for decades in the other code.

Not in our house he wasn’t …

Archived