France v England TV

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree but fingers crossed one has to remember this match has been arranged at 6/7 weeks notice.

Also the Dragons lost their deal with Bein Sport for the last 2/3 matches.

As soon as I get some more news I will post however the call this afternoon from a member of the Fed informed me that so far its a no.

6 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I agree but fingers crossed one has to remember this match has been arranged at 6/7 weeks notice.

Also the Dragons lost their deal with Bein Sport for the last 2/3 matches.

As soon as I get some more news I will post however the call this afternoon from a member of the Fed informed me that so far its a no.

It is probably fair to say that if this was staged in England we would definitely have a TV deal? 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

The BBC are awash with money

Really? Not so sure about that.

However the costs for a single match probably wouldn't be that much, if they did the studio stuff back in Salford and just took the feed from a crew in France.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

The BBC are awash with money

Nonsense on stilts, however much you and others think that cutting Gary Lineker's salary will make a difference.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

However the costs for a single match probably wouldn't be that much, if they did the studio stuff back in Salford and just took the feed from a crew in France.

Stuff like that tends to end up on the Red Button or website if anywhere.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I hope this can be sorted however looks like it could be online only.

SKY I am told is a no.

BBC also I think the problem is both would require a French TV company to host who would demand a fee to cover their costs.

I am waiting for further info and will post.

Paul

This is ... and I choose my words carefully here ... an absolute shambles.

14 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

SKY I am told is a no.

BBC also I think the problem is both would require a French TV company to host who would demand a fee to cover their costs.

Paul

Slightly concerning that Calatans and Tolouse winning the league leaders shield hasn't converted into enough interest to broadcast an international in France. BBC would always get their feed from a French broadcaster even in normal times. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

11 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Yes, it’s a stealth tax for every household in this country, and not a cheap one. Have you seen what they pay their ‘talent’, and where they go to make their programmes? 

14 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

SKY I am told is a no.

Paul

Surely for a game in France it is the responsibility of the FFR to arrange TV coverage and shouldn't be reliant on UK based broadcasters ?

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

Surely for a game in France it is the responsibility of the FFR to arrange TV coverage and shouldn't be reliant on UK based broadcasters ?

Yes this is correct however a French TV company will require their costs being covered around 35K (That's the problem) everything is Paris centric which is also against getting a TV contract.

From memory the last 2 TV coverage companies in France that covered all the costs were Eurosports and Pathe Sports going back 20 years ago.

Since then Sports + (Canal) wanted costs covering around 300K + a season then recently Bein Sports (No idea with them) it will be interesting to see how SKY handle the million pound game in Toulouse. 

P

27 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Yes this is correct however a French TV company will require their costs being covered around 35K (That's the problem) everything is Paris centric which is also against getting a TV contract.

From memory the last 2 TV coverage companies in France that covered all the costs were Eurosports and Pathe Sports going back 20 years ago.

Since then Sports + (Canal) wanted costs covering around 300K + a season then recently Bein Sports (No idea with them) it will be interesting to see how SKY handle the million pound game in Toulouse. 

P

I stand by my initial comment that that's a shambles.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

What on Earth are you babbling on about? 

Nonsense like this: "Yes, it’s a stealth tax for every household in this country, and not a cheap one. Have you seen what they pay their ‘talent’, and where they go to make their programmes?"

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Nonsense like this: "Yes, it’s a stealth tax for every household in this country, and not a cheap one. Have you seen what they pay their ‘talent’, and where they go to make their programmes?"

It’s not nonsense though pal. If you don’t think the BBC could afford to pay a few quid to show an England RL international then you need to do some research into their finances. The tv licence is also a tax, of which they’re the major benefactor. 

Just now, Eddie said:

It’s not nonsense though pal. If you don’t think the BBC could afford to pay a few quid to show an England RL international then you need to do some research into their finances. The tv licence is also a tax, of which they’re the major benefactor. 

But surely all the privatised broadcasters - which you've said you'd rather the BBC were - will be lining up to show the match so it doesn't matter.

I'm disappointed the BBC doesn't appear to be interested but given that they appear to being asked to pay well above the expected rate because the French can't sort it out, I'm not sure that they should cut any presenter's salary to make it happen.

46 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

P

It really does feel like that £35k cost should be sunk as part of the costs of putting the event on, and then the challenge is to cover those costs as part of the income driven from the game. 

No top level international should be scrapping round for TV coverage over such a modest number.

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

But surely all the privatised broadcasters - which you've said you'd rather the BBC were - will be lining up to show the match so it doesn't matter.

I'm disappointed the BBC doesn't appear to be interested but given that they appear to being asked to pay well above the expected rate because the French can't sort it out, I'm not sure that they should cut any presenter's salary to make it happen.

Have I said I want them to cut a presenters salary to make it happen, or that they should be privatised? You’re good at putting words in other people’s mouths then criticising them aren’t you 😂

23 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I thought France were talking big about the World Cup in four years time? It doesn't augur well if they can't find a channel to televise an International with their biggest rivals

I think it shows the challenges all round tbh. Surely if the cost is only £35k to cover it, we should have the BBC or Sky paying us more than that for UK rights?

It highlights a real issue we have in the game that may other sports wouldn't even have to consider - they would have somebody queuing up to show an England international. Even with all the issues that the RFL have created themselves around the England brand, we really should be able to get coverage for this.

Archived