France v England TV

46 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It really does feel like that £35k cost should be sunk as part of the costs of putting the event on, and then the challenge is to cover those costs as part of the income driven from the game. 

No top level international should be scrapping round for TV coverage over such a modest number.

I was going to post something like this. If the organisers aren't confident enough of being able to cover 35k from match profits then something is disastrously wrong. I'd have also thought that getting a uk broadcaster to pay at least 35k should be easy for a couple of hours of ready made content.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Damien said:

I was going to post something like this. If the organisers aren't confident enough of being able to cover 35k from match profits then something is disastrously wrong. I'd have also thought that getting a uk broadcaster to pay at least 35k should be easy for a couple of hours of ready made content.

Well yeah, the BBC with their 35,000 staff and £5.1bn revenue could do it if they wanted to. Far be it from them to show what licence payers want though, there’s BBC3 programmes to be made. 

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Well yeah, the BBC with their 35,000 staff and £5.1bn revenue could do it if they wanted to. Far be it from them to show what licence payers want though, there’s BBC3 programmes to be made. 

I don't really care much for arguing about the BBC. I'd have thought even Channel 4 or Channel 5 would be open to content for the small price it would cost that they can easily then sell as new live sports content. Loads of random RU internationals seem to pop up on those channels.It's also something new to sell to advertisers.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Have I said I want them to cut a presenters salary to make it happen, or that they should be privatised? You’re good at putting words in other people’s mouths then criticising them aren’t you 😂

"I’m not too fussed about the BBC or what they do, I’d privatise them in a heartbeat" - Eddie, 4 September 2021

"Have you seen what they pay their ‘talent’" - Eddie, 22 September 2021

But, nah, I'm just putting words into your mouth.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

23 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

"I’m not too fussed about the BBC or what they do, I’d privatise them in a heartbeat" - Eddie, 4 September 2021

"Have you seen what they pay their ‘talent’" - Eddie, 22 September 2021

But, nah, I'm just putting words into your mouth.

Nice stalking chief. I was referring to what I said on this thread. 

33 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

What percentage of licence payers do you genuinely think are crying out for France vs England in an RL friendly? 

No idea, but it’s many more than those who want to watch some of the other tripe they churn out, and at much lower cost too. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Nice stalking chief. I was referring to what I said on this thread. 

It's not stalking if I actually remember what you said - and also one of those quotes is actually on this thread.

But, no matter, I'll leave it. It's probably very boring for everyone else.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

40 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't really care much for arguing about the BBC. I'd have thought even Channel 4 or Channel 5 would be open to content for the small price it would cost that they can easily then sell as new live sports content. Loads of random RU internationals seem to pop up on those channels.It's also something new to sell to advertisers.

The RU internationals on Channel 4 are part of specific longer-term deals, not one-offs. But, obviously, Channel 4 have stepped in at short notice to show cricket and tennis.

No idea about Channel 5.

I also think the RFL with its blasé attitude towards international Rugby League have not helped in the slightest. Games such as this one when played at home have been treated with contempt and something not worth taking seriously. We have never even developed a regular in season international schedule to even sell England matches over a longer term to broadcasters either. Its hardly surprising when it then becomes difficult to get anyone to show a hastily arranged end of season international.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

I also think the RFL with its blasé attitude towards international Rugby League have not helped in the slightest. Games such as this one when played at home have been treated with contempt and something not worth taking seriously. We have never even developed a regular in season international schedule to even sell England matches over a longer term to broadcasters either. Its hardly surprising when it then becomes difficult to get anyone to show a hastily arranged end of season international.

Are you saying that the ‘All Stars’ game wasn’t taken very seriously? I’m amazed that Sky bothered to show that tbh, maybe the extreme cr@pness of it is why they’re not interested in the France game. 

Despite the RLWC postponement and all that 'shenanigans' it is a miracle that the BBC are still planning on showing every game across the tournament  - some amazing work/pressure done behind the scenes to make that happen.

If worse comes to the worse we should be giving them this game for a free almost a thank you for staying on board as a partner.

35K is peanuts in the scheme of things and should be found to ensure live free to air coverage in the UK and coverage in France too.

Yes however someone still has to provide the match day coverage.

Try shipping over cameras and equipment now to France after brexit (We have been quoted 45000 euros to ship over a 200m LED unit to cover import taxes and VAT)

Unless there is a local provider on the ground in France it's impossible 

P

This is a nutshell sums up Rugby League's problem. No global body means no coordination to create a TV rights cycle. We should be selling a four year cycle of rights ending with World Cups. But that needs a proper schedule of fixtures, if your just ad hoc arranging games it's difficult to profitise. 

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Try shipping over cameras and equipment now to France after brexit (We have been quoted 45000 euros to ship over a 200m LED unit to cover import taxes and VAT)

P

😡😡😡😡😡

3 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

P

It’s not viable. They are playing England you know. Do you want it streamed also to show an embarrassment of the sport? France need to play Canada or someone of equal ability. Then send the cameras.

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

Are you saying that the ‘All Stars’ game wasn’t taken very seriously? I’m amazed that Sky bothered to show that tbh, maybe the extreme cr@pness of it is why they’re not interested in the France game. 

Again it’s not viable. Let France play who they can contend with. Why you have use Sky as excuse to justify Internationals is beyond me.

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

No idea, but it’s many more than those who want to watch some of the other tripe they churn out, and at much lower cost too. 

What you see as "tripe", someone else doesn't. That's why the BBC airs it.

If there was that much demand from the BBC audience for a hastily-arranged England RL friendly, the BBC would air it. And if you don't know how many people would watch it, you can't say that it is any more or less demand for it than any other programming. 

The crux of this, as it ever is, is that RL hasn't worked hard enough to make itself hard to ignore. That's why it doesn't get the media attention that many of us probably think it deserves. 

7 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

What percentage of licence payers do you genuinely think are crying out for France vs England in an RL friendly? 

11 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

If there was that much demand from the BBC audience for a hastily-arranged England RL friendly, the BBC would air it. And if you don't know how many people would watch it, you can't say that it is any more or less demand for it than any other programming. 

Maybe if, as Rugby League fans, we called it a Test match rather than a friendly it would hold more value.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

17 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

What you see as "tripe", someone else doesn't. That's why the BBC airs it.

The crux of this, as it ever is, is that RL hasn't worked hard enough to make itself hard to ignore. That's why it doesn't get the media attention that many of us probably think it deserves. 

I would guess somewhere around 600,000 people would watch it. That is a lot more than some BBC programmes that cost a lot more than £35k to make.  

the usual conversation will be had about the game the week after in workplaces all around Britain- did you see the match? =what match? - the eng v france match= i didnt hear anything about it, i didnt know it was on - and then it will be tuesday - then wednesday 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

8 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Hope you are not having a go at the people on here for that..... 👀

🇪🇺

10 hours ago, Damien said:

100%

Archived