James Roby Retires from International RL

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/james-roby-announces-international-retirement/

Love Rugby League reporting that James Roby has announced his retirement from International Rugby league. 

What a great player and what a pity he didn't get to bow out at the world Cup this year. I think he could have done a great job this year but possibly next year would be a year too far, so probably the right decision. Nothing to be proved or gained in playing him against France, time to give a younger player a chance. 

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

And things like this are one of the great tragedies of the World Cup being put back a year. I have no doubt he would have made the World Cup his swansong if it had taken place this year.

A great player over many, many years. Even in his twilight years he is still fantastic.

As mentioned on here a few times, I still think he is the best starting hooker we have available and I would also have made him the captain of the World Cup squad.

He has had a great career and so I am sure he has few regrets but being involved in the biggest and best home World Cup would have been a highlight... but not to be.

It opens a door for others in what is a relatively strong position for us.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Saints’ best ever No9 IMO. Top quality. 

Ey up, another statue being erected of another best ever Saints hooker.

Surely they should be putting one up to Clock Face's Fag Ash Lill first, I am told by them over't lump she has been St.Helens best hooker for years.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

8 hours ago, Dunbar said:

As mentioned on here a few times, I still think he is the best starting hooker we have available and I would also have made him the captain of the World Cup squad.

He has had a great career and so I am sure he has few regrets but being involved in the biggest and best home World Cup would have been a highlight... but not to be.

It opens a door for others in what is a relatively strong position for us.

As I've mentioned before, I dont agree with your first paragraph at all. The rest you cant argue with. A quality hooker, and a fantastic role model, in a quality team.

Slowing down with age but the speed and quality of his distribution , together with his ridiculously effective defence, mean he's still a high quality player.

When you're used to watching Roby at 9 some of the other hookers seem to move in slow motion getting the ball away from the PTB.

What a player he's been - labelled as nothing but an impact scooter in his early years, matured into a magnificent all round hooker.

On 22/09/2021 at 12:34, DavidM said:

Real shame he couldnt finish with a home world cup , but he’s a legend . The guy is superhuman , and his consistency , quality , impact on a team and longevity at a high level puts him up there with Cameron Smith 

While I am delighted to have seen Roby play out his career here and achieve what he has, I would also have loved to have seen him in the NRL in his prime... I genuinely believe that he would be held in the same esteem as Smith.  Different types of game at 9 but both outstanding. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

A fabulous player. Still showed that he has got it in this year's Cup final with big contributions once again. Won everything there is to win at club level, both individually and at club level (apart from the Lance Todd Trophy). His career is winding down but one of the finest to pull on our shirt. And clearly a very level headed bloke too.

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

While I am delighted to have seen Roby play out his career here and achieve what he has, I would also have loved to have seen him in the NRL in his prime... I genuinely believe that he would be held in the same esteem as Smith.  Different types of game at 9 but both outstanding. 

He was as good as Smith all day long! Shame he never played NRL as the Aussies would have seen how good he was - saying I remember the Aussies saying a number of times ( and before the 2017 WC) that Roby was the one player they aways talked about before playing England as they new how good he was.

Archived