Salford to move to Moor Lane?

Read somewhere recently and there's some talk flying around that the soccer club Salford FC could jointly buy the AJ Bell stadium with Sale Sharks and the council could buy the soccer ground Moor Lane for Salford RL to play in. 

I'd be interested to know what Salford fans think. Although Moor Lane is much smaller I think it has a much better atmosphere, similar to their historic ground. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Read somewhere recently and there's some talk flying around that the soccer club Salford FC could jointly buy the AJ Bell stadium with Sale Sharks and the council could buy the soccer ground Moor Lane for Salford RL to play in. 

I'd be interested to know what Salford fans think. Although Moor Lane is much smaller I think it has a much better atmosphere, similar to their historic ground. 

This came up on here last week or so

Ground looks better in terms of atmosphere with 4000 fans in compared to 4000 in AJ Bell

Doesn't look like any corporate facilities though? 

24 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

This came up on here last week or so

Ground looks better in terms of atmosphere with 4000 fans in compared to 4000 in AJ Bell

Doesn't look like any corporate facilities though? 

No I couldn't see any corporate facilities at Moor Lane but perhaps that can be developed over time? 

Seems like a lack of ambition to move to stadium with a capacity of 5100

If Salford are going to accept that they are going to be a Championship club with maybe an occasional foray into SL, then I guess it makes sense. If they have ambitions to be a major player in SL and to grow their crowds significantly, then it doesn't. 

What ambitions do Salford have?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The storm said:

Salford seem to have down graded everything about the club 

This is pretty much how it unravelled at London. A 5000 capacity stadium more often than not means 2k crowds rather than house full signs every week. Fans are not stupid they can see where the trajectory is going.

• Like 2

If SL goes down to 10 clubs for 2023 then Salford will be one of the firm favourites to go down so the rent and capacity on Moore Lane will probably suit them if that happens. I do wonder if the club is looking at repositioning itself to be a sustainable Championship/SL2 club.

Edited by Whippet13

It’s possible to add corporate facilities to Moor Lane I’m sure.

It’s a decent stadium, almost entirely rebuilt in the last 3 years, and anyone questioning Salford’s ambition just needs to look at their attendances for 20+ years… sometimes you need some realism, and grow from a secure platform? I know it’s not the perfect location, still a bit away from the urban action, but it looks much better located than the AJ Bell at least.

Also, Gary Neville seems like a pretty stand-up bloke, always with one aye on his reputation in the community and doing the right thing not the best-for-him thing… that’s a long way from any of the Broncos ground-change partners for people making that reference. Good luck to ‘em I say. 

• Like 11

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

52 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Which is closer to Salford’s traditional fan base, the AJ Bell or Moor Lane? I often hear people on this forum moaning that the former is outside Salford, hard to get to and away from their fan base; is that also the case with Moor Lane? 

Moor lane is closer than the AJ Bell but is not that close to the old Willows. However it is far better served by public transport and far nearer to where people actually live.

It’s a far more suitable stadium for Salford imho and has the capacity to be upgraded and upsized. The basics are certainly there.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Which is closer to Salford’s traditional fan base, the AJ Bell or Moor Lane? I often hear people on this forum moaning that the former is outside Salford, hard to get to and away from their fan base; is that also the case with Moor Lane? 

Which is the cheaper option?

3 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

It’s possible to add corporate facilities to Moor Lane I’m sure.

It’s a decent stadium, almost entirely rebuilt in the last 3 years, and anyone questioning Salford’s ambition just needs to look at their attendances for 20+ years… sometimes you need some realism, and grow from a secure platform? I know it’s not the perfect location, still a bit away from the urban action, but it looks much better located than the AJ Bell at least.

Also, Gary Neville seems like a pretty stand-up bloke, always with one aye on his reputation in the community and doing the right thing not the best-for-him thing… that’s a long way from any of the Broncos ground-change partners for people making that reference. Good luck to ‘em I say. 

I wouldn’t get too carried away with the redevelopment. The toilets are portaloos, and there are no indoor concourses with the new stands essentially being metal steps brought off the back of a lorry rather than being permanent concrete terracing. 

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Maybe. Look on YouTube for Salford FC games.... When it has 4000 in it looks a good atmosphere... 

Exactly fella. I went to loads of games at the Willows back in the day with Rovers, and Salford probably only got 4k back then n’all, but even though it was clearly a right s***hole it always had a lively vibe. They can get that back at Moor Lane, could be great 

• Like 5

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Just now, Leyther_Matt said:

I wouldn’t get too carried away with the redevelopment. The toilets are portaloos, and there are no indoor concourses with the new stands essentially being metal steps brought off the back of a lorry rather than being permanent concrete terracing. 

Aye, I hear ya, but it’s neat and tidy and a viable platform at least eh. Unless I’m missing something Salford only exist at the AJ Bell on the basis that the council is too embarrassed to wind the club up? Just continues to roll over the debt, use leverage to protect their rent vs. landlord manoeuvres etc etc 

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Maybe. Look on YouTube for Salford FC games.... When it has 4000 in it looks a good atmosphere... 

Just had a look. I think it looks ok, good atmosphere as you mentioned. It does look quite small for what we would like a SL stadium to be, so perhaps one or two of the stands can be extended a bit as a mid to long term objective.

Edited by The Daddy
  • Like 1

I do think that when you weigh things up a smaller, but compact Moor Lane is better than an atmosphereless AJ Bell. 

In the short term, Moor Lane probably just needs one or two of the stands being developed with some corporate facilities and an increase in capacity to around 7000

• Like 4

Can one of the admins merge the two threads on this? 

• Like 1

Been to Moor Lane as an Oldham Athletic fan in a sold out away end and the atmosphere was great, from the away fans at least. The parking situation isn’t great, which would definitely be an issue when Wigan, Saints, Leeds etc. are in town, but the transport links into the centre of Manchester are there at least.

The ground as a whole probably suites the RL club better in many ways, but it’s definitely a down grade in terms of how it looks on TV, something you hear mentioned in conversations about Super League’s image on TV/Sky deals.

I can see Salford as a strong Championship side in a 10+10 league system. 

• Like 2

This is about survival - to avoid a Swinton situation.

Salford can’t afford the rent at AJB. They are out after the purchase.

They must though own Moor Lane so it’s their club - which can be developed over time….and crucially earn money from food sales etc at the ground (which they don’t at AJB)

The move from the Willows must be amongst the worst handled moves in the history of sport

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1