Salford to move to Moor Lane?

10 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I wouldn’t get too carried away with the redevelopment. The toilets are portaloos, and there are no indoor concourses with the new stands essentially being metal steps brought off the back of a lorry rather than being permanent concrete terracing. 

That’s not the point. The basics are in place. There is some space to develop. Toilets and corporate are easy add ons. A more modest version of what’s ar Odsal would easily sort that. Wouldn’t take a huge amount to bring it up to 7k with corporate.

wWhat matters is where it is. Go on google maps and see. It’s not stuck in the middle of nowhere under a bypass and miles from the nearest house. It’s neat houses, within walking distance of many of its traditional fans and on three! Major bus routes.

Salford fans were never your Range Rover brigade. So driving for miles to pat a tenner to park was never on. The AJ was a non starter for me even if they had done well, it just doesn’t suit a working class club.

Where new stadia is concerned those who stay close to there old grounds do best, out of town people warehouses don’t work.

For me Trinity re-developing BV is probably the best thing that has happened to the club in years. NM would have done exactly the same to us as has happened to Salford imo.

Moor Lane is a modest new start but one they can build on if they are patient and prudent. For me it’s the only way Salford can save itself as they simply can’t survive at the AJ.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

That’s not the point. The basics are in place. There is some space to develop. Toilets and corporate are easy add ons. A more modest version of what’s ar Odsal would easily sort that. Wouldn’t take a huge amount to bring it up to 7k with corporate.

wWhat matters is where it is. Go on google maps and see. It’s not stuck in the middle of nowhere under a bypass and miles from the nearest house. It’s neat houses, within walking distance of many of its traditional fans and on three! Major bus routes.

Salford fans were never your Range Rover brigade. So driving for miles to pat a tenner to park was never on. The AJ was a non starter for me even if they had done well, it just doesn’t suit a working class club.

Where new stadia is concerned those who stay close to there old grounds do best, out of town people warehouses don’t work.

For me Trinity re-developing BV is probably the best thing that has happened to the club in years. NM would have done exactly the same to us as has happened to Salford imo.

Moor Lane is a modest new start but one they can build on if they are patient and prudent. For me it’s the only way Salford can save itself as they simply can’t survive at the AJ.

Pretty true but its not a SL quality ground, and does not take away from the situation of Salford being in SL is because the didn't meet their CVA obligations and cant afford rent at the AJB - ie they spent it on players. If they had settled those bills would the squad have been good enough to stay up?

9 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Pretty true but its not a SL quality ground, and does not take away from the situation of Salford being in SL is because the didn't meet their CVA obligations and cant afford rent at the AJB - ie they spent it on players. If they had settled those bills would the squad have been good enough to stay up?

Need to judge everybody the same though. Say Wakefield & Castleford. If they’d bothered to get their grounds up to standard would they have afforded the squads that’s kept them in SL

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Exactly fella. I went to loads of games at the Willows back in the day with Rovers, and Salford probably only got 4k back then n’all, but even though it was clearly a right s***hole it always had a lively vibe. They can get that back at Moor Lane, could be great 

And if it sells out for some games then good. Makes tickets rarer and more coveted 

The corporate side will need thinking about I think (I'm no expert on this!) 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

And if it sells out for some games then good. Makes tickets rarer and more coveted 

The corporate side will need thinking about I think (I'm no expert on this!) 

The corporate side will be important eventually but given current situation understandable its not high up on the priority at the moment. For me as I've said else where its a big opportunity for SL and one some clubs need to put more focus on in enhancing the revenue potential.   

Not one for Salford to be worried about at this stage, especially if they don't get any revenue from that from the AJ.

For context Leeds highest revenue stream is from corporate.

The move seems a good option.

Edited by redjonn

2 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Spot on, I`m sure I read somewhere the ground has been set up so expansion, additional blocks (corporate, toilet etc) can be easily added when deemed appropriate. So by that I`m guessing the utilities infrastructure is all there, connections ready etc. Maybe Salford moving there would be the impetus to do the additional work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

The corporate side will be important eventually but given current situation understandable its not high up on the priority at the moment. For me as I've said else where its a big opportunity for SL and one some clubs need to put more focus on in enhancing the revenue potential.   

Not one for Salford to be worried about at this stage, especially if they don't get any revenue from that from the AJ.

For context Leeds highest revenue stream is from corporate.

The move seems a good option.

It is not an inspiring place im afraid 

7 hours ago, Spidey said:

Need to judge everybody the same though. Say Wakefield & Castleford. If they’d bothered to get their grounds up to standard would they have afforded the squads that’s kept them in SL

Hold on, at what point have Wakefield ever spent big money on players? We've never been near the cap and on occasions have had squads that by rights should have been in the championship. In our 20 years in SL i can't think of one point where we could have cut the player costs enough to make even a dint on BV. And that's without the well known scandal regarding WMDC and the supposed developer of NM. Your argument is incredibly over simplistic.

For all our recent woes we have still managed to pay our bills and make a tiny profit, something Salford have failed to do. That said we will struggle as will all clubs in the future as the TV revenue reduces, so nobody should cast stone.

5 hours ago, dkw said:

Spot on, I`m sure I read somewhere the ground has been set up so expansion, additional blocks (corporate, toilet etc) can be easily added when deemed appropriate. So by that I`m guessing the utilities infrastructure is all there, connections ready etc. Maybe Salford moving there would be the impetus to do the additional work.

Would seem odd for Salford City to move if it was so easy to expand though surely?

53 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Hold on, at what point have Wakefield ever spent big money on players? We've never been near the cap and on occasions have had squads that by rights should have been in the championship. In our 20 years in SL i can't think of one point where we could have cut the player costs enough to make even a dint on BV. And that's without the well known scandal regarding WMDC and the supposed developer of NM. Your argument is incredibly over simplistic.

For all our recent woes we have still managed to pay our bills and make a tiny profit, something Salford have failed to do. That said we will struggle as will all clubs in the future as the TV revenue reduces, so nobody should cast stone.

All while playing in a dump. If Salford or say Leigh or Widnes stayed in their dumps maybe they’d be where Wakefield are now. That was the point being made

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

68 by 112 is the minimum size, could the pitch be adjusted to meet minimum requirements?

It's not scientific by any means but judging by google earth you could potentially steal another 3.5 metres at each end. Would be tight up to the hoardings though. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

10 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

68 by 112 is the minimum size, could the pitch be adjusted to meet minimum requirements?

Out of interest: was the Moor Lane pitch the same size as it is now when Swinton were based at the ground (albeit in its unrebuilt state)?  

Edited by Hopping Mad

9 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Pretty true but its not a SL quality ground

Despite much breath and wearing out of keyboards, it's extremely obvious that there is no such thing as a SL quality ground.

SL/RFL are quite happy for the premier competition to be played in falling down death traps, or on Amateur Rugby Union fields, with a temporary stand. Or indeed in giant holes in the ground with funny looking corners.

It will be a long way off being the worst stadium in SL.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

They're supposed to be buying the AJ Bell off the council with Sale. From what I've seen negotiations are currently ongoing over including Moor Lane to the council as part exchange in that too.

Ah right, didn't realise that's what's happening.