Salford to move to Moor Lane?

Eddie is just a bit sore because his beloved Norwich which he sort of supports are bottom of the Premier League and already look doomed and might as well give up if they lose on Saturday to Burnley. I honestly have £10 on Burnley. 

As for SRD  it's a shame they couldn't stay at the AJ Bell with SCFC, then presumably we'd be right behind the Neville's vanity project. 

1 minute ago, HawkMan said:

Eddie is just a bit sore because his beloved Norwich which he sort of supports are bottom of the Premier League and already look doomed and might as well give up if they lose on Saturday to Burnley. I honestly have £10 on Burnley. 

As for SRD  it's a shame they couldn't stay at the AJ Bell with SCFC, then presumably we'd be right behind the Neville's vanity project. 

I couldn’t care less that Norwich are bottom, every other club has owners worth over £1bn except Watford who aren’t far off - it’s not a level playing field, and I’ve gone right off professional football anyway.  The reason I don’t like Salford City is because they’ve bought success, much like I don’t like Chelsea or Man City.

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

I couldn’t care less that Norwich are bottom, every other club has owners worth over £1bn except Watford who aren’t far off - it’s not a level playing field, and I’ve gone right off professional football anyway.  The reason I don’t like Salford City is because they’ve bought success, much like I don’t like Chelsea or Man City.

Gee you'd be a interesting chap at dinner parties... have you ever been on "Come dine we me?"

1 minute ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Gee you'd be a interesting chap at dinner parties... have you ever been on "Come dine we me?"

I don’t go to dinner parties, prefer the pub, but there’s no need to resort to cheap insults because my opinion is different to yours. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hammerless Nail said:

This raises an interesting point. Salford City don't have too many fans (understandable given that they have the biggest football club in the country - one of the biggest in the world, even - right on their doorstep, and a second, mid-table, club even closer; just at the other end of Trafford Road, in fact).

Those fans they do have are going to encounter the same problems Red Devils fans have in getting to the AJ Bell: it's either a single road or the motorway, and these two routes also take thousands upon thousands of people to the Trafford Centre, where they can experience all the same shops they can experience on any modern high street, but in an environment that echoes like the local swimming baths (you can hear the child screaming, but you can't tell where it's coming from).

In fact, it's going to be worse for the football fans, as they'll likely be playing most of their matches on a Saturday afternoon - peak window licking time at the Trafford Centre - and will be playing during the four month run up to Christmas - peak peak window licking time at the Trafford Centre.

I hope Gary Neville and the other owners put more thought into this than the Red Devils' owners did.

Reason that Salford City are moving to AJ Bell is because they have aspirations to move into the Football championships, if they were to get there then Moor Lane doesnt meet the minimum requirements and as such they would have to move. the only stadium in the city that does meet these standards is the AJ Bell and if they didnt buy in with Sale they would then have to try and purchae from sale which is going to be more difficult. 

4 minutes ago, To Be Confirmed said:

Reason that Salford City are moving to AJ Bell is because they have aspirations to move into the Football championships, if they were to get there then Moor Lane doesnt meet the minimum requirements and as such they would have to move. the only stadium in the city that does meet these standards is the AJ Bell and if they didnt buy in with Sale they would then have to try and purchae from sale which is going to be more difficult. 

A reminder here, incidentally, that promotion up the football pyramid is never automatic and is standards based.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

A reminder here, incidentally, that promotion up the football pyramid is never automatic and is standards based.

I can’t recall a football league team ever being denied promotion on those grounds though, they’d usually be given a few years dispensation to sort things out. 

34 minutes ago, Eddie said:

So you’ll be hoping no new clubs with ambition & money will  enter League 1 in the future then and Toulouse fail in the playoffs as they have spent more money to be full time than the others.

4 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

So you’ll be hoping no new clubs with ambition & money will  enter League 1 in the future then and Toulouse fail in the playoffs as they have spent more money to be full time than the others.

Putting words in my mouth again I see. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I can’t recall a football league team ever being denied promotion on those grounds though, they’d usually be given a few years dispensation to sort things out. 

You've chosen your words carefully there. There have certainly been blocks outside of, and into, the Football League. Sutton United had to rip up their pitch this season or else they couldn't have gone up - for example.

With regards to within, I understand that the bottom two tiers have shared standards as do the top two. Given the standards have been in place for 25 years now, I doubt there's any club looking at moving up who doesn't know what, if anything, they'd need to do.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Eddie said:

Plenty of non league teams have had promotion denied because of facilities or pitch issues,my own local club had to spend a large amount of money on pitch alterations because it wasn’t within the acceptable tolerance in regards to being perfectly rectangular and they are in the NW counties league.

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

You've chosen your words carefully there. There have certainly been blocks outside of, and into, the Football League. Sutton United had to rip up their pitch this season or else they couldn't have gone up - for example.

With regards to within, I understand that the bottom two tiers have shared standards as do the top two. Given the standards have been in place for 25 years now, I doubt there's any club looking at moving up who doesn't know what, if anything, they'd need to do.

Yes I chose my words carefully, because Salford are already in the football league. But yes agreed football clubs know what they have to do, whereas RL clubs probably don’t. 

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

So do you think most of the people who go to watch Salford City support just them and not another club? 

It depends how you define 'support'.

There are loads of, say, Man U 'supporters' who never set foot in Old Trafford. Many because they can't afford to. Some will actively (i.e. by actually attending matches) support other clubs - including the likes of FC United of Manchester and Salford City (or the dozens of other non-league clubs in the Manchester/Salford area).

My experience of watching Salford City - and I've been to five games at Moor Lane, in various leagues - indicates the club has plenty of locally-domiciled fans who've started watching live football because, all of a sudden, Salford has a football team worth supporting. At rock bottom admission prices, too.

During the club's 'bankrolled' seasons, Salford City's average gate has risen from 150 to 2,500+. You don't think, of circa 251,000 Salfordians, there aren't quite a few who are happy simply to support a football team called Salford - and really aren't interested in any other club?

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

You don't think, of circa 251,000 Salfordians, there aren't quite a few who are happy simply to support a football team called Salford - and really aren't interested in any other club?

I doubt it, they’ll all have been football fans before, and if they aren’t among the 50 who used to watch Salford they’ll have supported a team previously, most likely Utd and in some cases City. If they supported another non league team they’ll have stuck with them.  If there was such a strong bond with teams called Salford, the RL team wouldn’t be struggling for fans so much. 

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I doubt it, they’ll all have been football fans before, and if they aren’t among the 50 who used to watch Salford they’ll have supported a team previously, most likely Utd and in some cases City. If they supported another non league team they’ll have stuck with them.  If there was such a strong bond with teams called Salford, the RL team wouldn’t be struggling for fans so much. 

Extending your analysis (nobody can be attracted to a sport without having a prior interest in it), there is no prospect of any rugby league club, in any expansion area, attracting any support.

Maybe Salford RLFC can't attract a decent crowd because, bar their recent Grand Final blip (and unlike Salford City FC), they've achieved next to nothing since the early 1970s.

Edited by Hopping Mad

21 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Extending your analysis (nobody can be attracted to a sport without having a prior interest in it), there is no prospect of any rugby league club, in any expansion area, attracting any support.

Maybe Salford RLFC can't attract a decent crowd because, bar their recent Grand Final blip (and unlike Salford City FC), they've achieved next to nothing since the early 1970s.

That’s not what I’m saying at all, however I do doubt that many of any people who go to watch Salford City weren’t interested in football before the Neville’s & Co took over. If you think there’s 2000 people in Salford who weren’t interested in the game but now go to watch them that’s fine, we can agree to differ. 

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

That’s not what I’m saying at all, however I do doubt that many of any people who go to watch Salford City weren’t interested in football before the Neville’s & Co took over. If you think there’s 2000 people in Salford who weren’t interested in the game but now go to watch them that’s fine, we can agree to differ. 

I'd say one of the big differences between football and rugby league is the former is growing (and is only too clearly capable of growing) its audience year on year whereas, sadly and conversely, the latter's audience appears to be shrinking rapidly.

• Like 1