Salford to move to Moor Lane?

19 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

But that's what happens. People get bored when they're older and get replaced by those who aren't bored.

Churn is just a thing that happens.

That’s where RL is struggling we’re not getting enough young replacing the old from what I see

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

No ######. 

Then why make your point?

People stop doing things all the time.

Rugby league's problem is that we are below replacement.

Football is operating well above replacement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Then why make your point?

People stop doing things all the time.

Rugby league's problem is that we are below replacement.

Football is operating well above replacement.

I made the point because I wanted to say it, it had zero to do with what you are now arguing about. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, HawkMan said:

I wouldn't be too hopeful,  a nephew of mine is on a potential 5 year waiting list for a S.T. I think he said Chelsea,  not sure.

As has been stated a few posts above football attendances are still growing. For every disaffected fan who leaves another takes his place. 

RL really has to hope figures improve in 2022.

Two reasons I don’t get anyone hoping another sport has less followers/viewers. 1.its sad. 2.it ain’t going to impact your own chosen sport. 

I don’t know if it’s just a RL thing (I’ve mainly been around football (and there’s none of it there) so can’t speak about other sports), but it serves no purpose. You might get comments like egg chasers or toffs game, but never come across anyone who’d actively want to see less follow them. If RL struggles to grab attention the focus/envy shouldn’t be on a sport that gets most (or even the other rugby code RU which doesn’t get much either), the focus should be on what can be done to make RL more appealing.

Wigan vs Leeds, 7k for a playoff game. That’s where the focus should be. What changes can be done to entice more to watch the game.

17 hours ago, Red Willow said:

Persoanlly Moor lane is the worst of the 3 grounds to get to and park.  (Weaste and Willows are the area and ground name and are the same thing)

Salford aren't a well supported club, even in the glory days. Think more will drift off from the crowds if Moor lane becomes a reality.

What would you propose those who run the club do given the current circumstances they find themselves embroiled in?

I would hope SRD, the Council, the residents and TfGM could work together in addressing how to get to Moor Lane.

If I was asked then I would say free/minimal cost supporters buses from Walkden, Swinton, Eccles and Weaste to the ground ala what FC United do from town to Moston. The Supporters Trust already has its own bus which looks popular.

Maybe ring and ride service for supporters who may have certain needs, especially mobility.

Park and ride at Agecroft, Prestwich Village and/or Heaton Park with a free/minimal cost bus service to the ground.

Free parking passes for residents, keen policing of parking. 

Encouragement of a pre-paid scheme where resident's parking can be rented by supporters during match time. This is popular in London.

If you are really ambitious stick a play area on the grass at the neighbouring school that could double as a car park. Or allow car parking at the Police Training Centre.

Might be a need for some sensible re-figuration of Moor Lane to allow some extra parking, traffic flow and to manage the crowds especially apres-match.

If you can and want to walk the short distance to the ground from Bury New Road, the Witch Way/X42 bus (Manchester-east Lancashire) regularly runs here till way late. 

My thoughts, I'd encourage others.

Edited by idrewthehaggis

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, clogdance said:

Bolton v Wigan Athletic in League One on Saturday, attendance was over 20,000. How does football manage to be so popular ?  

It’s a cycle of lots of coverage and popularity breeds more popularity and coverage. If you look at the top soccer league in Australia A-League the attendances are lower than the NRL, probably similar to Super League. If a sport is hidden away out of sight people will not come flocking to it. It’s why we need to get as much coverage as possible on free to air tv. 

8 hours ago, clogdance said:

Bolton v Wigan Athletic in League One on Saturday, attendance was over 20,000. How does football manage to be so popular ?  

Football is the one truly global game. It is easy to play, even on your own as anyone can kick a ball against a ball - unlike rugby. Because it is national/global it doesn’t feel small-time. It is also simple to understand the basic rules and from there you can pick up nuances and tactics as you go.

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s a cycle of lots of coverage and popularity breeds more popularity and coverage. If you look at the top soccer league in Australia A-League the attendances are lower than the NRL, probably similar to Super League. If a sport is hidden away out of sight people will not come flocking to it. It’s why we need to get as much coverage as possible on free to air tv. 

I remember my dad, may he RIP, telling me endless stories of him going to places like Charlton and Fulham in the 50's with crowds of 50,000, Blackpool, Stoke, Preston , all had massive crowds,  in the days when not many had TV's. So tv coverage helps but football was global in the 1930's with the first World Cup. Football is an instinctive sport, go into a park and you see kids with jumpers for goalposts having a kick about with little chance of injury. Also of note is football started with 12 teams based in the North West and Midlands,similar to RL , one grew the other didn't,  I don't know why exactly,  perhaps someone else could answer that. 

The original football league teams were:

Accrington, Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Burnley, Everton, Preston North End, Aston Villa, Derby Country, Notts County, Stoke City, West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Edited by HawkMan

8 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

What crowds do Salford football currently average? May be a guide to what Salford RLFC could expect

Pre Covid they were about 3000 I believe, so a similar figure to Salford Reds at the AJ Bell Stadium. 

It’s a sad fact to accept as Moor Lane really shouldn’t be up to Super League standards, but the cost cutting move makes sense to a Salford Reds side that just hasn’t been able to attract supporters to its games.

Edited by Sir Kevin Sinfield
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I remember my dad, may he RIP, telling me endless stories of him going to places like Charlton and Fulham in the 50's with crowds of 50,000, Blackpool, Stoke, Preston , all had massive crowds,  in the days when not many had TV's. So tv coverage helps but football was global in the 1930's with the first World Cup. Football is an instinctive sport, go into a park and you see kids with jumpers for goalposts having a kick about with little chance of injury. Also of note is football started with 12 teams based in the North West and Midlands,similar to RL , one grew the other didn't,  I don't know why exactly,  perhaps someone else could answer that. 

In partial answer to your last point, the masses won control of football from the toffs in the 1800s, in Rugby the solution arrived at in that debate was a split. On top of that, the attitude of the Northern RFU clubs was pretty consistently protectionist which alongside RU hypocrisy and shamateurism meant that the "Rugby League" didn't grow to encompass more clubs over a larger area like the "Football League" did.

37 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

In partial answer to your last point, the masses won control of football from the toffs in the 1800s, in Rugby the solution arrived at in that debate was a split. 

Interestingly (to an extent) there was also an amateur fightback within soccer after that time - hence the creation and ongoing existence (albeit now diminished) of the Amateur Football Alliance.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I imagine 3k at Moor lane would feel like more than 3k at AJ Bell?

If they moved and had a big game, maybe they could use AJ Bell for specific matches? 

I think more teams should possibly look at doing this, especially those renting much larger football stadiums such as my own team Hull. 

On the thread about the Billy Boston stand, someone said Wigan should probably look at getting an 18,000 or so stadium themselves and I think this should maybe be the case for Hull and Huddersfield as well. We'd probably be alright with 15,000 and Huddersfield 10,000.

We could still play the derby at the MKM. Playing a big game like that at a larger stadium as a one off would possibly encourage a larger crowd as well because it would feel more like an event I think. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

On the thread about the Billy Boston stand, someone said Wigan should probably look at getting an 18,000 or so stadium themselves and I think this should maybe be the case for Hull and Huddersfield as well. We'd probably be alright with 15,000 and Huddersfield 10,000.

You're looking at £20-30 million to do that. Hard to see any of those clubs being able to make a good business case to borrow that kind of money. 

2 hours ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I imagine 3k at Moor lane would feel like more than 3k at AJ Bell?

If they moved and had a big game, maybe they could use AJ Bell for specific matches? 

46 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I think more teams should possibly look at doing this, especially those renting much larger football stadiums such as my own team Hull. 

We could still play the derby at the MKM. Playing a big game like that at a larger stadium as a one off would possibly encourage a larger crowd as well because it would feel more like an event I think. 

Leeds got their record attendance when Headingley was getting developed and they took a few games to Elland Road. Despite the bigger attendances it didn’t make sense financially to go back to Elland Road, as after paying to rent the stadium Leeds were better off and made more profit with a smaller attendance at Headingley.

I think we should move to a kind of mini magic double header on the road games. This would share out the costs of hiring bigger venues. Something like this in year 1.

Wigan V Saints and Salford v Warrington at a Man City’s ground or Anfield

Leeds v Huddersfield and Wakefield v Castleford at Elland Road or Bramhall Lane

Keep the Hull v Hull in Hull and Catalans v Toulouse in France 

• Like 1

Saw the point made on Twitter before but it is worth repeating. Salford moved stadiums in order to comply with the RFL's minimum standards. Other clubs made no such efforts. And here we are, with Salford potentially about to become homeless. Victims of complying with the regulations at the time.

• Like 1