Salford to move to Moor Lane?

Just now, Chris22 said:

Saw the point made on Twitter before but it is worth repeating. Salford moved stadiums in order to comply with the RFL's minimum standards. Other clubs made no such efforts. And here we are, with Salford potentially about to become homeless. Victims of complying with the regulations at the time.

Salford moved because they took a balanced decision that The Willows was more of a burden than a new ground would be. That may, even with how things have panned out, have been the correct decision.

The RFL's minimum standards have always been circumventable.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Salford moved because they took a balanced decision that The Willows was more of a burden than a new ground would be. That may, even with how things have panned out, have been the correct decision.

The RFL's minimum standards have always been circumventable.

I am not a Salford fan but I disagree with your opinion that Salford may have made the right decision to leave The Willows.

They lost a lot of fans by moving.Bad enough but they lost a lot more than that as they lost big revenues as they owned the ground and variety centre.

Salford should have over a period of time refurbished The Willows,after all and with all due respect to them Cas and Wakefield play in stadiums that I question whether or not they should have their safety licence revoked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

I am not a Salford fan but I disagree with your opinion that Salford may have made the right decision to leave The Willows.

They lost a lot of fans by moving.Bad enough but they lost a lot more than that as they lost big revenues as they owned the ground and variety centre.

Salford should have over a period of time refurbished The Willows,after all and with all due respect to them Cas and Wakefield play in stadiums that I question whether or not they should have their safety licence revoked.

The Willows was unsafe and costing tens of thousands just to maintain as “really really poor”.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Have to laugh about how having a brand new facility built for them is being cited as the reason for Salford's current plight. I don't recall at the time the dissenting voices saying, no we must stay The Willows as it would all end in tears. Truth is, offered the same opportunity,Trinity or Cas would've snapped the hand off the LA/developer for what Salford we're given. The fact they are where they are isn't because they were moved on against their will, more so they haven't been able to make the most of the opportunity of a brand new facility. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Have to laugh about how having a brand new facility built for them is being cited as the reason for Salford's current plight. I don't recall at the time the dissenting voices saying, no we must stay The Willows as it would all end in tears. Truth is, offered the same opportunity,Trinity or Cas would've snapped the hand off the LA/developer for what Salford we're given. The fact they are where they are isn't because they were moved on against their will, more so they haven't been able to make the most of the opportunity of a brand new facility. 

Harsh but fair.

Sale got over 8k last week for a league game there and they charge nearly double for ticket prices. Seem logistics and problems only exists for Salford.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s a cycle of lots of coverage and popularity breeds more popularity and coverage. If you look at the top soccer league in Australia A-League the attendances are lower than the NRL, probably similar to Super League. If a sport is hidden away out of sight people will not come flocking to it. It’s why we need to get as much coverage as possible on free to air tv. 

But Liverpool FC could fill a stadium in Australia that no NRL team could.

A lot of it is down to the quality. 

And why do you think so many Australians showed up to watch Liverpool? It’s the same reason Wembley gets filled for NFL games. Those teams are massive International brands because they are the League they play in has so much exposure and coverage.

23 minutes ago, DC77 said:

But Liverpool FC could fill a stadium in Australia that no NRL team could.

A lot of it is down to the quality. 

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The Willows was unsafe and costing tens of thousands just to maintain as “really really poor”.

I don’t disagree with you on that one to be fair.Yes it was an old stadium that had seen better days.But I still say that the stadium could have been refurbished,been done at Widnes.

5 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Only RU in top flight for a huge geographical spread so bit more of a wider affluent base to go from. Salford got unlucky with Covid not allowing them to exploit their GF appearance and no trip to Wembley either.  

Salford would benefit from a team in central manchester they can grow to hate and also a facility that can be exploited 24 7. 

There is no way Salford fans would ever accept moving into Manchester or indeed rebranding as a Manchester club.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

There is no way Salford fans would ever accept moving into Manchester or indeed rebranding as a Manchester club.

Think the suggestion is to get them a Manchester rival i.e. Manchester Rangers. 

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

I don’t disagree with you on that one to be fair.Yes it was an old stadium that had seen better days.But I still say that the stadium could have been refurbished,been done at Widnes.

Did Widnes own Naughton Park? Aren't they essentially tenants to the local authority now? 

Salford wouldn't have been able to afford to refurbish The Willows and retain ownership. 

When Salford sold The Willows, Red City Developments was building the stadium.  This would have provided an income. The Willows needed huge amounts spending to keep the safety certificate.

Brian Kennedy the then owner of Sale was offered a share of the new stadium but refused. Later Sale had to move after doing the dirty to Stockport County. History repeats with this latest move. It should be interesting to see which sport/team come on on top.

Moor Lane is an awful place for a stadium, the crowds won't improve. The low crowds have little to do with the move, the constant drama is the issue.

2 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

But Salford hardly have any fans, there is no point pandering to them. I have no idea about Salford moving to or becoming Manchester, but if it’s a chance it could be a success they should go for it rather than continuing to play in front of crowds of 3000 fans for Super League games and worrying about upsetting some old time supporters. Any true fans would move to their clubs new home.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Salford as a part time team in the smaller stadium.  Aim for 2000 adult season tickets with under 18's free with paying adult.  3g pitch in use Day and night so commercial partners and sponsors get their moneys worth.  Aim for 4k average as club challenges to get bk to SL in stronger position. 

So the answer to Salford’s problems is move to a poor,tiny stadium,drop a division,go part time & play on a plastic pitch that little Freddie & his school mates can play on.

If I was a Salford fan I’m not sure I’d be impressed with that strategy & I’m pretty sure their fans would continue to dwindle away.until you’d be left with a 1000 or so aging diehards.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

So the answer to Salford’s problems is move to a poor,tiny stadium,drop a division,go part time & play on a plastic pitch that little Freddie & his school mates can play on.

If I was a Salford fan I’m not sure I’d be impressed with that strategy & I’m pretty sure their fans would continue to dwindle away.until you’d be left with a 1000 or so aging diehards.

How about Super League Europe put this to bed by saying you cannot compete in SL with a ####### 5k stadium? FFS it is an embarrassment to the competition. I don't care what their current crowds are, they are getting £1.6m in central distribution to be elite.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

How about Super League Europe put this to bed by saying you cannot compete in SL with a ####### 5k stadium? FFS it is an embarrassment to the competition. I don't care what their current crowds are, they are getting £1.6m in central distribution to be elite.

It is an embarrassment that a club playing in Soccer’s 4th division considers a stadium too small and inadequate, whereas a Super League club thinks it’s suitable for them. Too many small clubs survive on the £1.6m Sky money which is all generated by the big clubs. The sooner Super League outgrows the small time ambition-less clubs the better. Toulouse have done it, hopefully Newcastle, York and Bradford can follow them. Those clubs all have ambition and potential.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It is an embarrassment that a club playing in Soccer’s 4th division considers a stadium too small and inadequate, whereas a Super League club thinks it’s suitable for them. Too many small clubs survive on the £1.6m Sky money which is all generated by the big clubs. The sooner Super League outgrows the small time ambition-less clubs the better. Toulouse have done it, hopefully Newcastle, York and Bradford can follow them. Those clubs all have ambition and potential.

Bradford ? 
They play in a dump that needs bulldozed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Salford have no foundation or future playing in their oversized box.  I think 4000 or a 5000 stadium is fine.  If you actually have analternative for Salford to have a viable future lets hear it.

Under either model  (franchising or p and r) Salford will either get kicked out or be relegated as they cannot financially compete due to zero income streams. 

The plan would have to be to use an asset to get as many kids playing league as possible, rebuild the fanbase through youth engagement and actually create a decent matchday atmosphere.

You dont have an alternative so you should probably suggest one or pipe down. 

They have no future playing in a toy stadium that will do little to attract crowds.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Play in a stadium that doesn't look fit for Northern Conference football or find your level.

Yes and moving to Moor Lane would partly be about finding our level - which is in reality halfway between SL and Championship.

We also have very little choice at the minute - it looks like this option or we’re homeless.

7 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

Yes and moving to Moor Lane would partly be about finding our level - which is in reality halfway between SL and Championship.

We also have very little choice at the minute - it looks like this option or we’re homeless.

I have nothing against Salford who have a great history but I really can't see what the difference is between Hunslet and Dewsbury being denied promotion in 1999-2000 ish and Salford wanting to play in a tiny box stadium. Twenty years on we are supposed to be moving forward aren't we?

Wakefield were initially denied promotion over their stadium 1998 (yes 1998!) and they wangled this fabricated story about playing games at Barnsley. Hunslet were then denied promotion despite having a 2500 grandstand and offering to erect temp seating. Dewsbury's stadium is exactly what we are talking about with Salford - denied!

Now, two decades on Ealing Trailfinders and Moor Lane are being allowed into SL - which still has Cas and Wakefield FFS. We then wonder about attractiveness to broadcasters and big name sponsors. 

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 6

As an outsider looking in,Salford’s move to Moor Lane is in the immediate term sensible as they will be playing in a stadium they can afford to play in.It keeps them within their boundaries and keeps them in their own area.

But there is a problem further down the line. And that problem is the low capacity of the stadium.Will that be sustainable for Super League long term?And I think it is unlikely that stadium can be expanded further.

I don’t in all honesty think long term Salford will be an elite Super League club.Maybe if there is a Super League 2 say that might be their level.

• Like 1