Salford to move to Moor Lane?

While there’s some good and fair points on here there’s also a case of some kicking a club when it’s down.

Salford are not a big club. The Super League 1.5 joke was about right - along with a few others we are not really big enough for SL in terms of crowds. But only a few clubs are.

So were caught in the old catch-22 situation… move to Moor Lane in a ground that is perfect for now in terms of capacity and we’re hammered for a lack of ambition. Stay where we are (not that that’s an option) and we can’t pay the rent in an oversize stadium.

None of it is ideal. Moor Lane is fine, will get a good atmosphere. But if the RFL said that we couldn’t play there in SL due to minimum standards the fine - but you need to be just as strict with other clubs too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

How have they put the club on a more stable trajectory, you failed to meet the cva and failed to pay rent agreed. No Koukash no club today

Maybe so, however the club is now debt free by all intents and purposes, have a competitive squad, Rent was still an issue when Koukash was in charge and despite the millions he never paid the agreed rental figure either.  He also didnt pay off the CVA whilst he was in charge. 

He did however sell a number of players in order to reduce the money that he had to put in, he abolished the academy because he didn't see the benefit of it. 

So the fact that we are in the early stages of developing an academy, we are engaging more in the community and have no large debts hanging over the clubs heads means yes they are on a much more stable trajectory, granted the move from the AJ Bell if far from ideal but the club will deal with it they will be in a position to generate much more income from Moor Lane and move forward

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Can you give us a link to these "minimum" standards set at any time during the superleague era? 

Starting from 'framing the future' there have been SL standards,  eg min 2.5k seating, but afaik there have never been minimum standards. Even pitch size has exceptions as they backed away from enforcing full-sized pitches to accommodate those who play on soccer pitches. 

I believe Wakefield receive reduced central funding because the stadium doesn't meet SL standards, and lost points on licencing bids because of it. However, the stadium is but one of the criteria. If SL was to adopt meaningful minimum standards there would not be enough teams to form a league.

It is in the Operational Rules.Section A2.On a pdf.

The Salford commercial guy ain't despondent. Looking well ahead

https://m.soundcloud.com/devil-in-the-detail-srd/george

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

54 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

While there’s some good and fair points on here there’s also a case of some kicking a club when it’s down.

Salford are not a big club. The Super League 1.5 joke was about right - along with a few others we are not really big enough for SL in terms of crowds. But only a few clubs are.

So were caught in the old catch-22 situation… move to Moor Lane in a ground that is perfect for now in terms of capacity and we’re hammered for a lack of ambition. Stay where we are (not that that’s an option) and we can’t pay the rent in an oversize stadium.

None of it is ideal. Moor Lane is fine, will get a good atmosphere. But if the RFL said that we couldn’t play there in SL due to minimum standards the fine - but you need to be just as strict with other clubs too.

It's certainly not kicking a club when it is down from my point of view. It is trying to maintain any kind of elite standards for the only other fully professional RL competition outside the NRL. I agree completely about being strict with other clubs.

If Salford said we were going to Moor Lane for 12 months while we sort our #### out then you could imagine a dispensation being allowed for perhaps 1 season. But this looks like the club is looking to permanently base itself in a stadium of 5k. That puts it alongside Dewsbury and even below the likes of Batley.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

It's certainly not kicking a club when it is down from my point of view. It is trying to maintain any kind of elite standards for the only other fully professional RL competition outside the NRL. I agree completely about being strict with other clubs.

If Salford said we were going to Moor Lane for 12 months while we sort our #### out then you could imagine a dispensation being allowed for perhaps 1 season. But this looks like the club is looking to permanently base itself in a stadium of 5k. That puts it alongside Dewsbury and even below the likes of Batley.

That’s fair enough. Being realistic it’s hugely unlikely we’ll find/build another ground so it’s a 5k stadium or bust and we take our chances with that.

Unless of course this all changes… nothing signed and sealed yet and (another) multimillionaire might appear off Regent Road in the next few months!😎

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Scubby said:

I have nothing against Salford who have a great history but I really can't see what the difference is between Hunslet and Dewsbury being denied promotion in 1999-2000 ish and Salford wanting to play in a tiny box stadium. Twenty years on we are supposed to be moving forward aren't we?

Wakefield were initially denied promotion over their stadium 1998 (yes 1998!) and they wangled this fabricated story about playing games at Barnsley. Hunslet were then denied promotion despite having a 2500 grandstand and offering to erect temp seating. Dewsbury's stadium is exactly what we are talking about with Salford - denied!

Now, two decades on Ealing Trailfinders and Moor Lane are being allowed into SL - which still has Cas and Wakefield FFS. We then wonder about attractiveness to broadcasters and big name sponsors. 

And Leigh still doesn't have a train station at the LSV 😱

8 hours ago, Scubby said:

They have defaulted on a £1.5m bill to the council so are being shafted off to Moor Lane's tiny stadium not in the best area for growing a club. Effectively, the council saved them from administration and now are calling the shots - hence being punted to Moor Lane. SL should be stepping in and saying you will be relegated regardless in 2022 if this is your only available solution.

The SL either has minimum standards or is a Sunday pub league.

Which is exactly what should have happened in 2018 when London beat Toronto in the MPG , they should have denied them promotion and either put Toronto into SL or not relegated Widnes 

But they let them in 

If you refuse Moor Lane you refuse Belle Vue and Wheldon Rd as well 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Which is exactly what should have happened in 2018 when London beat Toronto in the MPG , they should have denied them promotion and either put Toronto into SL or not relegated Widnes 

But they let them in 

If you refuse Moor Lane you refuse Belle Vue and Wheldon Rd as well 

I believe they also told a couple of Championship clubs in this year's play offs that they couldn't be promoted (Whitehaven was one).

What is the difference between the Rec Ground and Moor Lane?

10 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I believe they also told a couple of Championship clubs in this year's play offs that they couldn't be promoted (Whitehaven was one).

What’s the difference between post office road and Moor Lane?  What I’ve seen Moor lane is tidy think there’s corporate in the main stand, 5k ish capacity will do for Salford.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Scubby said:

In the unlikely event that Whitehaven were promoted they were looking to play at Brunton Park in Carlisle.

The floodlighting and lack of seating were the problem but they’d have been granted dispensation if they could prove they had funding in place to rectify those 2 shortcomings,surprisingly an artist’s impression wouldn’t count.

32 minutes ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

What’s the difference between post office road and Moor Lane?  What I’ve seen Moor lane is tidy think there’s corporate in the main stand, 5k ish capacity will do for Salford.

Having visited POR on Saturday I’d say it’s far better than MoorLane and is a country mile better than Wheldon Road & Belle View.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It is an embarrassment that a club playing in Soccer’s 4th division considers a stadium too small and inadequate, whereas a Super League club thinks it’s suitable for them. Too many small clubs survive on the £1.6m Sky money which is all generated by the big clubs. The sooner Super League outgrows the small time ambition-less clubs the better. Toulouse have done it, hopefully Newcastle, York and Bradford can follow them. Those clubs all have ambition and potential.

Bradford? Seriously? Have you ever been to Odsal?

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

Genuine question: have you been to the Peninsula Stadium since the last refurbishments were completed?

I'm absolutely fine having a discussion about crowds, what we bring to SL etc but at least make sure you have something beyond preconceptions and a vested interest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

Well for a starter less clubs.

19 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Full time.

The Championship used to have less clubs and Championship clubs can choose to be full time now, most can’t afford it, like London who recently switched from Full Time to Part Time. Where will the additional funding come from for Championship clubs to become Full Time?

8 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

It is in the Operational Rules.Section A2.On a pdf.

The Salford commercial guy ain't despondent. Looking well ahead

https://m.soundcloud.com/devil-in-the-detail-srd/george

https://www.rugby-league.com/flipbooks/2019-operational-rules-tiers-1-3/mobile/index.html#p=17

I guess these from 2019?

Can't see anything there on capacity. Which section of A2?

https://secure.rugby-league.com/ign_docs/FACILITYSTANDARDS2016 final PDF.pdf

Found this from 2016?

I would suggest that BV meets those minimum standards. 5000 capacity with 2000 seats and a safety certificate. 

But even these include rfl discretion 

6 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

https://www.rugby-league.com/flipbooks/2019-operational-rules-tiers-1-3/mobile/index.html#p=17

I guess these from 2019?

Can't see anything there on capacity. Which section of A2?

https://secure.rugby-league.com/ign_docs/FACILITYSTANDARDS2016 final PDF.pdf

Found this from 2016?

I would suggest that BV meets those minimum standards. 5000 capacity with 2000 seats and a safety certificate. 

But even these include rfl discretion 

Those were adjusted to 5000 because of London playing at Barnet after nearly going bust IIRC. Licensing was 10k capacity.

9 hours ago, Ray Cashmere said:

Genuine question: have you been to the Peninsula Stadium since the last refurbishments were completed?

I'm absolutely fine having a discussion about crowds, what we bring to SL etc but at least make sure you have something beyond preconceptions and a vested interest.

I dont have a vested interest I don't even support a club. I can just see how the game is dumbing down to the point that a toy town stadium is now suitable for SL. It is not Salford's fault.

I dont have to go I can see all the photos and videos I need of Moor Lane. It us a shoe box stadium with a identikit stands. I've also been to Dewsbury which is also nice and tiny. Unfortunately that is the point. No one will be promoting Dewsbury any time soon.