Salford to move to Moor Lane?

20 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

I know nothing about Manchester politics but is there any reason this couldn't happen, no sarcasm please, I'm just wondering?

Screenshot.jpg

I think Salford council would come after them for every penny they owe if they left the council area.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

If I were Salford I'd go the full way, re-brand as Manchester and try and get a gig here at the Manchester City Academy stadium, Academy!!!!

I know it's not in Salford but then what is these days and of course it may not be available or far too expensive, I don't even know who owns it, is it the council or the club?. However it's modern, central to Manchester, well served by public transport and parking. It holds 7,000, perfect for a club like Salford.

I know nothing about Manchester politics but is there any reason this couldn't happen, no sarcasm please, I'm just wondering?

Screenshot.jpg

Why would they move to a different town and away from their support base? They’d basically alienate everyone involved with them, a worse move even than appointing Frank Lampard as manager. 

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Agreed. I don't think the response to not developing enough players is to scrap the Academy. 

Well I think it is important to look at the realities.

I've looked at the size of the Salford' Chairman's business and it is quite small. In contrast Mr. Morans business is quite large. I've looked at this new SKY deal and the heavy cut in funding will make it very hard for Mr. King to keep an academy going, let alone a foundation?.

And once again if he did do this, and found the odd "gem" then he'd be pretty much unable to stop the lad joining Ratchford if he realised a potential to be a Superleague player.  

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why would they move to a different town and away from their support base? They’d basically alienate everyone involved with them, a worse move even than appointing Frank Lampard as manager. 

Clearly you know even less about Manchester than I do. One, they already have moved away from their supporter base, the AJ Bell is in Eccles Manchester or didn't you notice, If you're going to be chippy you need to be way sharper than you are. Yes technically it's Salford hence Salford councils funding but it's not in what anyone would call Salford. A bit like Wakefield building a stadium in Pontefract.

However the point you missed by a staggering mile was the re-branding to Manchester, Seeing as Salford barely exists as an entity anymore, while Manchester is IMHO now Britain second city. that is where the expansion lays according to the expansionist doctrine.

Personally I don't give a stuff as once Salford gave up their Academy they ceased to be a genuine club in my book. However if I were to muse on a way to re-ignite the game in the Greater Manchester area, that place looks a great starting point, certainly better than the desolation that is the AJ Bell. Again I reiterate, this would be a new re-branded club from the ashes of Salford and possibly Swinton and even Oldham.

Could it work, I don't know is the answer, not least because I don't know if using that stadium is even on.

36 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Clearly you know even less about Manchester than I do. One, they already have moved away from their supporter base, the AJ Bell is in Eccles Manchester or didn't you notice, If you're going to be chippy you need to be way sharper than you are. Yes technically it's Salford hence Salford councils funding but it's not in what anyone would call Salford. A bit like Wakefield building a stadium in Pontefract.

However the point you missed by a staggering mile was the re-branding to Manchester, Seeing as Salford barely exists as an entity anymore, while Manchester is IMHO now Britain second city. that is where the expansion lays according to the expansionist doctrine.

Personally I don't give a stuff as once Salford gave up their Academy they ceased to be a genuine club in my book. However if I were to muse on a way to re-ignite the game in the Greater Manchester area, that place looks a great starting point, certainly better than the desolation that is the AJ Bell. Again I reiterate, this would be a new re-branded club from the ashes of Salford and possibly Swinton and even Oldham.

Could it work, I don't know is the answer, not least because I don't know if using that stadium is even on.

Ignoring your jibes, what you’re saying is that you want to close Salford down and open a new Manchester club in their place? Ok mate, great idea. 

2 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

If I were Salford I'd go the full way, re-brand as Manchester and try and get a gig here at the Manchester City Academy stadium, Academy!!!!

I know it's not in Salford but then what is these days and of course it may not be available or far too expensive, I don't even know who owns it, is it the council or the club?. However it's modern, central to Manchester, well served by public transport and parking. It holds 7,000, perfect for a club like Salford.

Screenshot.jpg

As a fellow fan put it so eloquently on Tuesday: "You can right off if you think I'm going to watch us at City's ground".

Agree or disagree with the sentiment all you like but, when there is a large mutual support between MUFC and Salford, it is a non-starter.

I think a lot of posters are addressing this from the wrong direction. 

People can discuss the ground and attendances being too small for Super League, and suggest we should effectively accept our fate and relegate ourselves. But why? 

Super League *should* be strong enough to make a club with crowds of less than 5,000 and restricted matchday revenue uncompetitive resulting in their relegation. However, the stark reality is that there are not enough big clubs in Super League for this to be the case.

The aim has to be to create more 'big' clubs. Not make the smaller clubs even smaller. Catalans have been fantastic for the game as they have created another 'big' club. 

I'm fully supportive of clubs like Toulouse (and potentially York and Newcastle) overtaking us due to more money, better infrastructure etc. But it is the job of Super League and The RFL, along with these clubs, to make that happen. Whether that be through the re-introduction of licencing, relegation exemptions or another method.

Salford moving to a stadium where we will have greater financial & commercial control as well as investing sustainably in the player pathway programme I have mentioned previously in this thread is not the cause of Super League's problems. The fact that we can now do this after being so poorly ran for over a decade is a symptom of how fragile, unambitious and lacking in strategy the game is. 

Gary Hetherington has made the same point today. The sooner we focus on building more 'big' clubs over kicking the smaller clubs, the sooner Super League will begin to resemble its name.

Edited by Ray Cashmere
  • Like 9

5 minutes ago, Ray Cashmere said:

I think a lot of posters are addressing this from the wrong direction. 

People can discuss the ground and attendances being too small for Super League, and suggest we should effectively accept our fate and relegate ourselves. But why? 

Super League *should* be strong enough to make a club with crowds of less than 5,000 and restricted matchday revenue uncompetitive resulting in their relegation. However, the stark reality is that there are not enough big clubs in Super League for this to be the case.

The aim has to be to create more 'big' clubs. Not make the smaller clubs even smaller. Catalans have been fantastic for the game as they have created another 'big' club. 

I'm fully supportive of clubs like Toulouse (and potentially York and Newcastle) overtaking us due to more money, better infrastructure etc. But it is the job of Super League and The RFL, along with these clubs, to make that happen. Whether that be through the re-introduction of licencing, relegation exemptions or another method.

Salford moving to a stadium where we will have greater financial & commercial control as well as investing sustainably in the player pathway programme I have mentioned previously in this thread is not the cause of Super League's problems. The fact that we can now do this after being so poorly ran for over a decade is a symptom of how fragile, unambitious and lacking in strategy the game is. 

Gary Hetherington has made the same point today. The sooner we focus on building more 'big' clubs over kicking the smaller clubs, the sooner Super League will begin to resemble its name.

Spot on and I made a similar point earlier in the thread. 

I tend to agree with Damien on the salary cap. I've been reluctant to see too many increases as I'm not convinced the game can afford it and I'm not a fan of the rich backer model of Union, but I think we maybe need to loosen the reigns on the bigger clubs who can afford more now. 

I think the salary cap is working too much for the smaller clubs nowadays rather than the bigger clubs and the wider game. But, when we see some top clubs still needing to have owners pump hundreds of thousands in per year to balance the books I'm not sure it'll happen. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

And syeal the chance for a real manchester club to exist , lunancy. 

Do you really think Salford fans care more about a Manchester club existing (that’s only important in the minds of keyboard warrior expansionists) than the existence of their own club? 

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Spot on and I made a similar point earlier in the thread. 

I tend to agree with Damien on the salary cap. I've been reluctant to see too many increases as I'm not convinced the game can afford it and I'm not a fan of the rich backer model of Union, but I think we maybe need to loosen the reigns on the bigger clubs who can afford more now. 

I think the salary cap is working too much for the smaller clubs nowadays rather than the bigger clubs and the wider game. But, when we see some top clubs still needing to have owners pump hundreds of thousands in per year to balance the books I'm not sure it'll happen. 

I completely agree with the sentiment that we should not be holding back the big clubs but I just don't think there are enough big clubs for a salary cap rise to have an impact.

I've made this point elsewhere: how many clubs are using the full cap and 2 marquees? Who is knocking on the door arguing the salary cap is holding them back? I think many of the 'bigger' clubs are quite content knowing they can restrict their expenditure to a certain amount that enables them to compete every year.

Super League desperately needs more Catalans to push the traditional big clubs to drive up their standards. If we can achieve that, then a raised salary cap will make much more sense.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Scubby said:

Then let's get Wigan to move to Orrell, Hull to Hull Ionians, Wakefield can go to Dewsbury and Huddersfield can move to Batley. Salford can go to Moor Lane.

We can pitch this to Sky and see if they want to bump the TV back to the previous mark of £40m per year? 

Well let’s sit back and watch em all go bust, with overheads they can’t afford. Anyway Hull Ionians sounds quite up market, sky will love it! 

3 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Screenshot.jpg

Why would City even consider it? They don't need the money or the hassle.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ray Cashmere said:

That's the big point there. 

The system SHOULD effectively relegate them. They shouldn't relegate themselves. They currently are stronger than the teams below them with the resources they have.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, Ray Cashmere said:

Who is knocking on the door arguing the salary cap is holding them back? 

It seems to be mostly Wigan fans who miss the old days of just outspending everyone else. (Although that club's problems are much wider and include apparently disastrous salary cap management).

3 minutes ago, M j M said:

It seems to be mostly Wigan fans who miss the old days of just outspending everyone else. (Although that club's problems are much wider and include apparently disastrous salary cap management).

Does anyone know who Wigan's second marquee is after Bateman? Do they even have one?

I'd guess not considering the deal they supposedly offered Williams which suggests that their ability to spend is a bigger concern than restrictions imposed upon their spending.

3 minutes ago, Ray Cashmere said:

Does anyone know who Wigan's second marquee is after Bateman? Do they even have one?

I'd guess not considering the deal they supposedly offered Williams which suggests that their ability to spend is a bigger concern than restrictions imposed upon their spending.

Bevan French?

6 minutes ago, M j M said:

That really isn't the impression I get from reading this forum.

1 hour ago, Ray Cashmere said:

I completely agree with the sentiment that we should not be holding back the big clubs but I just don't think there are enough big clubs for a salary cap rise to have an impact.

I've made this point elsewhere: how many clubs are using the full cap and 2 marquees? Who is knocking on the door arguing the salary cap is holding them back? I think many of the 'bigger' clubs are quite content knowing they can restrict their expenditure to a certain amount that enables them to compete every year.

Super League desperately needs more Catalans to push the traditional big clubs to drive up their standards. If we can achieve that, then a raised salary cap will make much more sense.

Yes, I have held the above view for a while, however I think we have to move with at least inflation and have space for growth for those who want to spend more. 

I'm not a fan of marquee rule tbh, I thought it was flawed from the start and I've seen little to change my view there. While technically clubs can spend far more than the £1.8m that it seemed to stick at for a while, the way they can do it is a bit artificial - in reality you only get the benefit if you are prepared to pay individuals large amounts, when that may not be the best approach. 

I'm not convinced it is the traditional big clubs who need to drive their standards. In reality, they are the ones developing the players, pulling in the crowds, sponsors, getting viewing figures etc. 

7 minutes ago, Ray Cashmere said:

Possibly, or that there isn't anyone around that warrants a £300k salary at the moment. 

Wigan claimed they offered Williams their highest ever contract in the history of Wigan RL (Iirc), which suggests they don't have a 2nd marquee, but they are prepared to spend. 

Although, I'm not sure I trust too much that comes from the Wigan club under Lenegan and Radlinski, I think they gaslight the Wigan fans. 

• Like 2