Salford to move to Moor Lane?

3 hours ago, Wanderer said:

So to summarise this, they are staying at the AJ Bell for 2022 whilst various feasibility studies are carried out with Moor Lane option not being without complications

Yes, but Moor Lane is their preferred option. Not carrying out feasibility studies on other locations would be poor, even if they expect Moor Lane to come out on top. I like how they’re going to ask the fans what they think too. 

11 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

What’s more depressing in here is the reference to not being able to sell 1,000 season tickets…. Really? 😳😳😳

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

That article is just an overview of what was said at the fans forum. I certainly didn't take that quote literally having been there, it's just how Paul King seems to get his message across.

2 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

What’s more depressing in here is the reference to not being able to sell 1,000 season tickets…. Really? 😳😳😳

I would have liked a little more thinking outside if the box. This is screaming out for a Salford - Swinton - University- Council and dare i say RFL collaboration to co- fund a new home. Oh and Fred Done!?

If the council is taking ownership of Moor Lane, it could be redeveloped as housing and any profit put towards another stadium enabling development. It looks pretty hemmed in to be developed much. 

There’s a sports ground with recently installed 3G behind the University and just half a mile from the Crescent train station. There’s surrounding older industrial units which could also be looked at and make something which could be utilised for all. 

https://sports-facilities.co.uk/sites/view/6002593

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

1 hour ago, The 4 of Us said:

I would have liked a little more thinking outside if the box. This is screaming out for a Salford - Swinton - University- Council and dare i say RFL collaboration to co- fund a new home. Oh and Fred Done!?

If the council is taking ownership of Moor Lane, it could be redeveloped as housing and any profit put towards another stadium enabling development. It looks pretty hemmed in to be developed much. 

There’s a sports ground with recently installed 3G behind the University and just half a mile from the Crescent train station. There’s surrounding older industrial units which could also be looked at and make something which could be utilised for all. 

https://sports-facilities.co.uk/sites/view/6002593

If we are in the mood for fantasy speculation, then I can beat that 4 of us.

On the opposite side of the University of Salford lies a huge redundant piece of land that formerly was Clarendon High School.

Currently it is ear marked for housing. But it has been left undeveloped for over a decade in a city where land is readily built on.

In future one side of the land off Churchill Way a £17m new sports centre (with 4g pitches) is to be built. The other end there is a proposal to link Mediacity with Manchester city centre with a new tram line.

Its 2 minutes from the M602/A57/Mancunian Way and the whole motorway network. And a mere 10/15 walking distances from the delights of Manchester and almost on top of the equal pleasures of Salford Shopping City.

So yeah it is Moor Lane. 

18 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Sounds like HKR early 2000's who could barely scrape 1000 fans in total to watch. Glass houses pal.

That was 20 years ago and Hull KR weren't in the top flight and hadn't been a club in the Super League (with all the advantages of that) for all but 1 year in 15, unlike Salford.

Edited by Tommygilf
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Sounds like HKR early 2000's who could barely scrape 1000 fans in total to watch. Glass houses pal.

Yeah great benchmark… sorry, just to clarify, was that when we’d been in SuperLeague for most of the prior 25 years like Salford have now? 

[….waits patiently for honest response…]

Mate, my original comment was from genuine concern and empathy, not snide points-scoring “my clubs better than your club” mindless nonsense, so wind your neck in. 

• Like 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Did Hull KR’s attendances really go down to 1,000? 

Nope, although I remember a game against Barrow when it didn’t look far off. A club going bust in the 2nd and 3rd division having not been in SL is hardly a comparison to a recent Grand Finalist with 25 years’ Sky TV money though is it…. 

On 25/11/2021 at 08:01, Yakstorm said:

2020 could have been a big year for Salford in terms of growing their base. The 2019 GF appearance followed up by making it to Wembley the following year would have seen some sort of uplift in any other scenario. 

It's a shame that the momentum has since gone.

Well didn't the big two seasons Salford had, include and benefit greatly from the talents of Jackson Hastings and Ian Watson????

Didn't Wigan offer the excellent on field leader Hastings more money to go there and didn't Ian Watson also get poached as well by Huddersfield for more money? 

Corrections and other people's thoughts most welcome but as hard as Salford have tried they have been victims of richer clubs being able to cherry pick them. I feel sorry for Salford, and I feel they have done great things without just chucking money about, but in the end the ££££££££'s talk.

Those old enough will recall it can work both ways. Rich Salford  owner Brian Snape spent plenty on Unions finest  especially David Watkins, and Leagues finest taking Steve Nash from Featherstone...

Salford's "momentum" was powered by Watson and Hastings......

The "momentum" may now turn to Koukash and Beaumont, and that's just how these things go............ 

If I recall the context of King speaking about "1000 season holders" was in regards to the impact of the Pandemic and uncertainty of fans attending in 2022, as well as unfounded speculation  about where SRD will play next season. Plus it was in October, barely out of the last season. Normally sale range from 2-3k. And as attendance numbers are not set by the club, unlike certain local big names, they do not register STH whether they attend or not.

Don't let the truth get in the way.

SRD are moving.

🙂The next ground will be cheaper to rent and will increase match day revenue possibly up to a £1m.

🙂It will be nearer the city centres.

🙂Easier to get to by bus.

😀Sure local parking is ######, but it's a 5min Uber from Prestwich or Manchester city centre.

🙂Is the same land size as Cas, etc and can be expanded.

🙂The club is well run and is debt free.

🙂If it's Moor Lane, it will be on a historical old rugby ground.

🙂It will be in an multicultural area, which would allow the game to continue its historical tradition of inclusiveness. Too much of some aspects of RL seems to dwell in monocultural Tory/Brexit voting small town silos .Others the very opposite. Make it always the opposite.

🙂The RFL will find it hard to continue suppressing clubs like SRD, especially in regards to Academies. 

🙂It will have a cracking atmosphere. 

🙂It could be developed as a community hub for Kersal/Broughton/Prestwich.

🙂The camera views of the glistening megapolis of Manchester and Salford will look brilliant 

Modern, glamorous and progressive. Everything we want RL to be. 

😀🥃🥃It's walking distance from our house.😂

If RL can not make a fist of it in Manchester/Salford I think it's more than SRD to blame. If RL wants to stem the decline, the RFL needs to stop being a lobby for four or so big hugely indebted clubs and go for leather in places like Manchester/Salford.

Edited by idrewthehaggis
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

If I recall the context of King speaking about "1000 season holders" was in regards to the impact of the Pandemic and uncertainty of fans attending in 2022, as well as unfounded speculation  about where SRD will play next season. Plus it was in October, barely out of the last season. Normally sale range from 2-3k. And as attendance numbers are not set by the club, unlike certain local big names, they do not register STH whether they attend or not.

SRD are moving.

🙂The next ground will be cheaper to rent and will increase match day revenue possibly up to a £1m.

😀Sure local parking is ######, but it's a 5min Uber from Prestwich or Manchester city centre.

🙂It will be in an multicultural area, which would allow the game to continue its historical tradition of inclusiveness. Too much of some aspects of RL seems to dwell in monocultural Tory/Brexit voting small town silos .Others the very opposite. Make it always the opposite.

🙂The RFL will find it hard to continue suppressing clubs like SRD, especially in regards to Academies. 

🙂The camera views of the glistening megapolis of Manchester and Salford will look brilliant 

If RL can not make a fist of it in Manchester/Salford I think it's more than SRD to blame. If RL wants to stem the decline, the RFL needs to stop being a lobby for four or so big hugely indebted clubs and go for leather in places like Manchester/Salford.

Good post, some good points raised. 

I'm not sure I would push so much of the blame towards the RFL for potential failure. It seems we blame them when clubs fail but we don't praise them for success. It's no more RFLs fault when SRD struggle than it is their brilliance when Saints succeed IMO.

Clubs need to take responsibility rather than deflect blame, I believe a more responsible mindset would aid clubs rather than looking elsewhere for help, handouts etc. Imo that's exactly what SRD are doing, taking control of their destiny and one I support albeit I quite like their current stadium.

If I remember correctly they didn't get an academy license because they didn't meet the requirements and when they had one before they stopped running an academy because it was pointless. All the best 14 year olds go saints or Wigan, what's the advantage of running one when you only attract tier 5 or 6 players? 

Edited by David Dockhouse Host
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Nope, although I remember a game against Barrow when it didn’t look far off. A club going bust in the 2nd and 3rd division having not been in SL is hardly a comparison to a recent Grand Finalist with 25 years’ Sky TV money though is it…. 

No of course it isn’t, I was really querying the statement that your gates got as low as that, as I couldn’t believe it. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

SRD are moving.

People complaining about traffic and parking have obviously never been to Headingley.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

SRD are moving.

I absolutely love this glass half full view (so not the rugby league norm sadly). Keep it up! 🤞 wire fan.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Rugby League Project reckons there's a 1,000 crowd v Batley in 2003 and a fair few in the 1,200-1,500 range.

Their data isn't always 100% accurate though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

52 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Normally sale range from 2-3k.

Lovely optimism but some points need countering - your optimism needs some relation to reality after all.

Salford weren't getting 3k total, never mind having 3k ST holders. Hopefully getting away from Barton will help, but you didn't have 3k ST fans at Willows either.

Will you pay rent at Peninsula?? Shouldn't you be aiming to own your next home?

Pensinsula does NOT have the same land footprint associated with Cas - nowhere near.

Salford aren't "well-run and debt free" - you can't afford your rent because you overspend on players and your CVA debt was written off because you didn't pay it and it timed out. That's not a well run club.

Salford decided not to run an academy because they, well, couldn't afford one - despite Billy Big ###### Koukash saying XYZ. The RFL did not "supress" you.

Edited by dboy
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

SRD are moving.

Are there actually any small RL towns that are Tory areas? 

And several clubs already play in multicultural areas. Not sure why you think this is either new or will result in an increase in attendances. 

1 hour ago, idrewthehaggis said:

SRD are moving.

I went to watch the football at Moor Lane a few weeks ago. There’s loads of free, street parking, a 10-minute walk from the ground, off the main road coming down from Prestwich and the M60.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

SRD are moving.

According to this total Premier League matchday revenue for last season was £700 between 20 clubs. An average of £35 Million per club over 19 games.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/874020/revenue-of-premier-league-football-clubs-by-stream/

I can’t see how £1M per game is remotely achievable at Moor Lane or £200 per fan assuming 5000.

I suspect SRD would be happy with the £100,000 per game that is more likely. 

Edited by The 4 of Us
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910