Salford to move to Moor Lane?

So I gather that Salford City FC will not be moving to the AJ Bell this year but have put it back another year?

And we assume that Salford Red Devil’s will not be moving to Moor Lane at the end of this season?

So I wonder what will happen to Moor Lane from May 2023 when SCFC season will end until Feb 2024 when in theory Salford Red Devil’s would start to play there in their new era?7 months as near as damn it the stadium will not be used?

And I wonder if Moor Lane will be made bigger to comply with Super League minimum requirements?

Or I wonder if Salford City FC are going to have 2 RL clubs play there namely Salford Red Devil’s and Swinton Lions from 2024?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

So I gather that Salford City FC will not be moving to the AJ Bell this year but have put it back another year?

And we assume that Salford Red Devil’s will not be moving to Moor Lane at the end of this season?

So I wonder what will happen to Moor Lane from May 2023 when SCFC season will end until Feb 2024 when in theory Salford Red Devil’s would start to play there in their new era?7 months as near as damn it the stadium will not be used?

And I wonder if Moor Lane will be made bigger to comply with Super League minimum requirements?

Or I wonder if Salford City FC are going to have 2 RL clubs play there namely Salford Red Devil’s and Swinton Lions from 2024?

My post above asks similar questions.

Well Rob I assume if you have a spanner in hand and you loiter around Moor Lane from May 2023 you may find yourself dismantling and erecting the Meccano style stands at the ground.

SRD's last words were about seeing if they could build above the existing stands as an extension.  And that the first few rows would be gutted due to the higher SL advertising boards. 

You could enlarge the flat pack Ikeaesque stands on the west, south and east side up to 5,000 and a new main stand might add another 3,000 plus. 

It took about a year for SCFC to literally erect the new stands and cost about £5m for the 5,100 capacity. 

I personally doubt Swinton will move in. Previous discussion on the internet by the "west Mancunians" said they didn't have a good experience at Moor Lane and seem established at Sale - developing RL on that side of "town." They have been getting crowds of a 1000 which is a good base.

Edited by idrewthehaggis

4 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

I still don´t know why they just don´t call themselves Sale RL and accept that if they don´t want to move in with Salford they have basically accepted they are never going to be home. 

You are right that they will never return home.It doesn’t take 30 years nearly to build a small 5000-6000 capacity stadium.

So why hasn’t this happened for them?

Indeed a much bigger stadium,The Emirates took about 6 or so years from initial planning to it being approved by Islington Council,built and opened.

And why was that?

And if Manchester United(my football team)decide to build a new stadium next to the existing one,that too would be planned,approved(which Trafford Council would do)built and opened well within 8 years.

Again why?

Why? 

12 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

I think this is a bad attempt at sarcasm but we all know why. Point is that it has now been almost two generations and if they don´t move with Salford then they have conceeded their is no intention of going back. I´d have thought adopting the identity of where you are now would give them the best chance to grow. 

It wasn’t really sarcasm tbh with you,it may have sounded that way but was not sarcasm.

The reason is money.

To build The Emirates or a New Old Trafford stadium(I think that is the best option for United)the figures add up. And the lenders ie the banks would be desperate for the business as they simply cannot lose.

Whereas a 5000 plus capacity stadium for either Salford or Swinton,despite it being far cheaper it just wouldn’t be feasible financially in a worse case scenario.

I may be naive to the situation, but I cannot see any advantage to Salford moving to Moor Lane. It seems like a disaster. Downsizing probably won't mean that Salford sell out every week, but that their support base simply shrinks and they have a worse stadium.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chris22 said:

I may be naive to the situation, but I cannot see any advantage to Salford moving to Moor Lane. It seems like a disaster. Downsizing probably won't mean that Salford sell out every week, but that their support base simply shrinks and they have a worse stadium.

As it stands we can’t pay the rent at our current home. So basically, even if it is a disaster, at the minute we have little choice so it’s either that or go out of business. We have to make the best of it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

As it stands we can’t pay the rent at our current home. So basically, even if it is a disaster, at the minute we have little choice so it’s either that or go out of business. We have to make the best of it.

Any move to Moor Lane would also open up much more potential commercial value to the club.

They would in essence be the masters of their own destiny when it comes to F & B, Naming rights to the stands, naming rights to the stadium. potential to have a club shop on site.

Any other users of the ground would in essence have to pay SRD rent.

whilst from the outside looking in it may look a very bad move, however the more you look into the detail it could well prove to be a very good move for the club as a whole.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, To Be Confirmed said:

Any move to Moor Lane would also open up much more potential commercial value to the club.

They would in essence be the masters of their own destiny when it comes to F & B, Naming rights to the stands, naming rights to the stadium. potential to have a club shop on site.

whilst from the outside looking in it may look a very bad move, however the more you look into the detail it could well prove to be a very good move for the club as a whole.  

Would Salford RD be buying Moor Lane then? I thought they’d merely be renting from the council, though I don’t really keep up to date with stadium nonsense. 

10 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

Yet they have their most expensive squad in years on the playing field? People had a go at Toulouse for cutting their cloth.

Super League should not be allowing a top flight club to play in a Subbuteo 5k stadium. If Salford cannot meet the requirements of a top flight club they should default into the Championship. Who is holding the elite competition to standards here?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Super League should not be allowing a top flight club to play in a Subbuteo 5k stadium. If Salford cannot meet the requirements of a top flight club they should default into the Championship. Who is holding the elite competition to standards here?

That ship sailed when they stood back and let London play at Ealing.

And that's before we start on Wakefield's (current) "stadium"

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

That ship sailed when they stood back and let London play at Ealing.

And that's before we start on Wakefield's (current) "stadium"

Would Dewsbury be allowed into SL if they won the Championship? I believe Whitehaven were told they would not be eligible for promotion when they were closing in on the play offs last year. By whom was that and what was the criteria?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

If Salford cant generate the required rev at new stadium to be competitive they will be relegated anyway. Especially with Wakey upgrading and a proper relegation fight on now for the foreseeable there will be nowhere for commercially underpeforming clubs to hide. 

Do you not have a problem with Salford signing Brierley, Sneyd, Vuniyayawa et al for this year and crying foul on their stadium rent? 

Toulouse are paying their rent, other teams travel and chose not to invest in many additional players because of costs. Should they have just gone to Stade Minimes (capacity 3-4k) and stocked up their squad with NRL players to avoid relegation?

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Yet they have their most expensive squad in years on the playing field? People had a go at Toulouse for cutting their cloth.

Where would that leave Wakefield and Castleford who haven’t met some of the Superleague requirements then?

The squad for this season will have been put together within the limits of the salary cap as it has been made clear that the club will not spend more money than comes in and it has been stated that if the club remained at the AJ Bell once the stadium had been sold the rent would be £600000+ and the club could pay that but the money would have to come off what is paid to the players.

2 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Okay... How much should they pay?

The rent bill is £450k per year.

Salford actually pay £150k per year, leaving Salford City Council to pay the missing £300k.

Weirdly, SRD have found an additional £300k to fund a number of expensive, high profile players.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

(Peter = Salford council tax payers, Paul = Salford's expensive playing squad).

Edited by dboy

Salford have one of the lowest caps at present. They are trying to live within the budget.

I seem to think the rent was 650,00 per season but I could have invented that.

The insolvency was down to Marwen, when he took over the club he created a new Company and the assets and lease were in that, the old debts were in a CVA. This failed and the points were deducted.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

Salford have one of the lowest caps at present. They are trying to live within the budget.

I seem to think the rent was 650,00 per season but I could have invented that.

The insolvency was down to Marwen, when he took over the club he created a new Company and the assets and lease were in that, the old debts were in a CVA. This failed and the points were deducted.

Even if you had a low cap spend (which you don't), it would not justify spending your rent money on players.

You were insolvent when Marwen took over - or would have been if he hadn't bailed you out.

The CVA you were supposed to pay has lapsed and the debt written off...because you didn't pay it.

Crappy way to run a business.

7 hours ago, To Be Confirmed said:

At times debates on here feel they were written by Sisyphus. Eternally pushing that rock, forever watching it roll back. Eventually everything gets repeated.

Thanks Confirmed for returning to the most important here. For Salford and Wakey, Cas and KR.

All long standing top flight RL clubs, each aspiring to improve their facilities for their supporters, their clubs finances and overall control of their destiny.

I would love it if RL could collectively support this.

I would even more so wish RL supporters would join in that endorsement.

But hey that would a crappy way to run a business."

Edited by idrewthehaggis