Salford to move to Moor Lane?

14 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Dave , Leigh have suffered financially by doing what all clubs were asked to , we managed to get a top facility built ( a lot of luck along with a mass of hard work ) , but it costs us , we would have been better off financially at Hilton Park , it was built for SL , the rental contract was built around being in SL , essentially we were told it was a facilities race , seems we were misled 

I think there is certainly a case that new facilities are automatically a good move, but that ultimately comes down to the commercials. Salford is a perfect example of that. 

But I think there is also the challenge that the likes of Hilton Park just weren't fit for purpose and would be even less so a further decade on. 

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think there is certainly a case that new facilities are automatically a good move, but that ultimately comes down to the commercials. Salford is a perfect example of that. 

But I think there is also the challenge that the likes of Hilton Park just weren't fit for purpose and would be even less so a further decade on. 

I agree , but financially it was better for LRLFC than the LSV 

6 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

I guess you're referring to Cas & Wakey as those who didn't "do the right thing".

This was not a choice. Both clubs tried everything to get a new stadium and have suffered over the years from having facilities not fit for purpose. It's purely twist of fate that all that bad luck turned out ok in the end.

After seeing how it panned out for Salford, maybe the collapse of Newmarket was a bullet dodged. Relegation for Trinity during these 20+ years would have been the end. 

Good luck to Salford if they move. They could just make it work.

Thanks Wholly.

Yes that’s pretty much what I was referring to but don’t bode either Cas or Wakey any bad will. No one could have predicted who would be the winners and losers 20 years later. 

16 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

It´s 13 more fixtures that won´t look ###### on Sky.

Yes indeed. I , like you, spend all my time watching the crowd on Sky games rather than watching what happens on the field.😀

• Like 1

On 22/03/2022 at 13:50, Jughead said:

Would Salford RD be buying Moor Lane then? I thought they’d merely be renting from the council, though I don’t really keep up to date with stadium nonsense. 

Salford will be leasing it from the council. 

meaning they will be responsible for the ground etc but also allow them to benefit from the commercial streams that come with that

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

When the company who bankrolled the sport slashes the money from 40 to 25 million,  I am concerned about providing them the best product possible. 

Sky cuts funding because it believes RL is a shrinking sport. RL clubs shrink to tiny town stadiums to prove to Sky it is a growing sport. 

I like the logic!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, To Be Confirmed said:

Salford will be leasing it from the council. 

meaning they will be responsible for the ground etc but also allow them to benefit from the commercial streams that come with that

It is even more technical than that.

As it stands the land apparently has a covenant that the land has to be used for recreation.

For most of its history it was the home of Manchester (RU) FC and at one time the All Blacks were to play there.

That covenant and the lease of the land is held by the council.

Meanwhile the buildings on top of it are currently owned by Salford City FC.

These two will swap the buildings for the council's share of the company that owns/runs the AJ Bell stade.

Then the council will hand the control of the ground over to Salford Reds Devils.

All parties are negotiating the terms of transfer and how Moor Lane will be managed.

SRD have provisional plans to increase capacity to around 8K. They will need new floodlights and advertising hoardings to fulfill SL standards.

As I have said the "floor size" of the site is roughly the same as Wheeldon Road and Belle Vue (Except they also have a car park, which they won't build on). So enough to expand.

The "subbuteo" style stands as one poster refers to them as, are ideal for quick cheap renovation and expansion. I mean it would be far worse if we were talking about rebuilding some priceless much cherished antique stand.

Give it a rest lads. We should be rejoicing in this.

Edited by idrewthehaggis
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

As I have said the "floor size" of the site is roughly the same as Wheeldon Road and Belle Vue (Except they also have a car park, which they won't build on). So enough to expand.

Yes, and I subsequently responded with the factual evidence that is has no-where near the footprint of BV or WR.

I'm sure Moor Lane will be better than the vacuum they are in now, but it's not a stepping stone to anything other than survival.

4 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

When the company who bankrolled the sport slashes the money from 40 to 25 million,  I am concerned about providing them the best product possible. 

And that is on the pitch, not in the stands.

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

8 k is a great size for our mid tier clubs. Plenty of room to expand on their current fan base and get a bucket load of use out of the stadium. 

Yup Shropshire just say the smallest was 8k, SL's current largest is 25k for FC and Wigan.

For the NRL top being the Stadium Australia down to Campbeltown. 83 to 20k

The comparisons then the three major European Rugby Union leagues ranges from the Arriva stadium to the Stade André Moga, from 52 to 10k.

I could carry on, many of European football leagues have megas next to minis. Your locals have Real Madrid at 82 and Rayo at a cute 14k.

My point is most leagues if not all, have yer big and not so. 

Same with attendance,

Lets be honest our average is 8k. Whilst SRD is at 4-5.7K, the top is only another 9k. It is no worse a difference in percentage than most leagues. 

We need to encourage, support all our clubs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

8 k is a great size for our mid tier clubs. Plenty of room to expand on their current fan base and get a bucket load of use out of the stadium. 

If clubs want a bucket load of use out of a stadium they should all take the Widnes route and play on 4G Astro 

to my knowledge as well as RL it is/has also been home to Liverpool & Everton ladies football, Widnes FC, Halton American Football and probably a few others 

Personally I don’t like the artificial pitches or watching games in stadiums with banks of empty seats draining the atmosphere 

Smaller grounds are not ideal but after 2 years of pandemic and the effect on finances I would rather clubs cut their cloth accordingly and survive than enter liquidation due to owing huge amounts of rent

• Like 2

At the moment I am contented with SRD staying up. A ground with a great view and indoor bogs that flush.

But.....

“I’d get the Pep Guardiola of rugby league and I’d say ‘we’re going to do something with this club, we’re going to be the best’ because Salford have never proved it.

“You’ve got to be better than St Helens and you’ve got to be better than Wigan or Castleford or Leeds."

We all love a dreamer don't we.

Especially a hard boiled businessman who might see a large extension in revenue streams as something worth investing also. Cas, Wakey, KR, SRD and perhaps erm London. 

One for Mr Drake et al to ask for some copy?

But kids, who is our Pep?? (and no he isn't called Brian)

On 25/03/2022 at 11:45, ShropshireBull said:

And broadcasting live games from a tiny stadium made from bolted together isofreights  is providing the best spectacle possible ?

3 hours ago, Davo5 said:

And broadcasting live games from a tiny stadium made from bolted together isofreights  is providing the best spectacle possible ?

This point keeps getting brought up but i just don’t get it. When Salford are shown live on TV now for 9/10 games there is a ruddy great empty stand running along the pitch facing the cameras, and a ruddy great empty stand behind the sticks to the left. It looks terrible and does not show the sport as a great spectacle.

I’ve been to both the AJ Bell and Moor Lane and both have flaws (as well as positives). But in terms of looking good for broadcasting then Moor Lane is certainly not making things any worse.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Interesting development just mentioned on Sky. Salford staying at AJ Bell ??

Well, if they are, they can keep using the rent money they withhold to pay for players they can't otherwise afford.

I’m thinking back to Jon Wilkin asking Fred Done if he’d ever buy Salford and whilst he said he felt he was too old, he did seem to have a glint in his eye. I don’t have a clue who may be getting involved but I’m sure the Salford fans would love to think it’s him. He did comment that if he ever did there would be no half measures and he’d want the best of the best coming in (although somebody best tell him there’s been talks about reducing the salary cap if he did fancy getting involved). 

**Edit** Just read it’s sadly not him. It’s a guy called Sebastian Gerrard who has put an offer in for the stadium. 

Edited by WN83

Salford Red Devils could be set for a stunning takeover by a businessman, according to Sky Sports pundit Jenna Brooks.

Brooks was reporting live at the AJ Bell Stadium as Salford take on Castleford Tigers in Super League tonight and she was able to report some exclusive news.

“Salford businessman Sebastian Gerrard, whose family has ben heavily linked with rugby league in 1960s ad 1970s, has placed a bid to purchase the AJ Bell Stadium which would mean Salford would continue to play at the stadium,” Brooks said.

“He also wants to invest heavily in the club to make Salford a major force in Super League for years to come.”

Salford Red Devils could be set for stunning takeover by businessman - Rugby League News (seriousaboutrl.com)