Salford to move to Moor Lane?

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Salford Red Devils could be set for a stunning takeover by a businessman, according to Sky Sports pundit Jenna Brooks.

Brooks was reporting live at the AJ Bell Stadium as Salford take on Castleford Tigers in Super League tonight and she was able to report some exclusive news.

“Salford businessman Sebastian Gerrard, whose family has ben heavily linked with rugby league in 1960s ad 1970s, has placed a bid to purchase the AJ Bell Stadium which would mean Salford would continue to play at the stadium,” Brooks said.

“He also wants to invest heavily in the club to make Salford a major force in Super League for years to come.”

Salford Red Devils could be set for stunning takeover by businessman - Rugby League News (seriousaboutrl.com)

Covered anywhere else yet?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, The storm said:

Never heard of him 

That's a shame.

He speaks highly of you.

• Haha 10

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A google shows he was involved in sponsoring the Salford and Swinton joint reserves team a couple of years ago:

Gerrard’s of Swinton managing director Sebastian Gerrard said: “We’re proud to partner with this team for its first season.

“As a long established business in the local community, the potential we discussed with Ian (Blease), for this side to give opportunities to talented players from the area was really exciting.

“Over the years, we have employed many rugby league players from the city, so this partnership adds to our tradition and history within the sport.”

https://swintonlionsrlfc.co.uk/news/lions-partner-with-salford-red-devils-for-reserve-side/

• Like 1

On 20/05/2022 at 20:58, The storm said:

Have you heard of him

The answer is no

I have heard of them.

They were a big joinery and building firm in Swinton.

My grandfather worked for Gerrards in the 1940s.

My brother in law worked for Gerrards in the 1960s.

Gerrards built the Manchester Town Hall extension in the 1930s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Town_Hall_Extension

The Town Hall Extension, housing municipal departments including rates, rents and street cleaning departments, was built after a competition in 1927 was won by E. Vincent Harris who, in the same year, won a competition to build Manchester Central Library on an adjacent site.[1] The building, built by J. Gerrard & Sons Ltd of Swinton, is essentially Gothic in character, with ornately carved tracery and a steeply pitched roof interpreted in a contemporary style.

Edited by JohnM

1 hour ago, M j M said:

And this from Ian Blease

Confirmation of no move at all, whatever happens, this season or next as well.

All very positive.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Confirmation of no move at all, whatever happens, this season or next as well.

All very positive.

Bbbut what about the empty stands? 

All good stuff - this is their home and glad they have a chance of fighting for it and not getting chucked out

Just now, Spidey said:

Bbbut what about the empty stands?

Apparently, that's fine now. It has never been a problem and I don't know why you would think that.

(Seriously, it is very good news if Salford do finally get some stability about ownership, investment and stadium *at the same time*).

• Like 4

And the Salford Drama continues. There always seems to be something every season.

I wonder about the timing of making this public, wouldn't you want to do the deal prior to announcing interest.

8 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

And the Salford Drama continues. There always seems to be something every season.

I wonder about the timing of making this public, wouldn't you want to do the deal prior to announcing interest.

Is Gerrard's interest entirely dependent on getting the stadium. He probably won't want to get caught up in a bidding war, although thr council would love that. 

Exciting times though, for me Salford is a key part of rugby league's growth agenda, and beyond the city's boundary too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Salford, gives Coronation Street run for it's money.

Well the press involved certainly do!

I think Jenna Brookes giving the game away may have had something to do with this.

My feeling is it will only be positive when the ink's dry on the agreements.

Good things come out of SRD but they don't tend to happen to them.

It's a very positive story and possibility.

• Like 2

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

6 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

It would still be a crappy location but they would own it and keep the revenue. 

Just feel Salford need someone to be a proper rival too so game in Manchester can have a boost. 

If it does happen hats off to those who kept them going last few years. 

How exacty is it a crappy location? its pretty much straight off the motorway, is a 15min walk from one of the largest shopping centres in the north of England 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, To Be Confirmed said:

How exacty is it a crappy location? its pretty much straight off the motorway, is a 15min walk from one of the largest shopping centres in the north of England 

Crappy might be an exaggeration but there has always been the feeling that the ground was built without the transport infrastructure and community around it. 

I'll remain cautious until anything material changes but owning the AJ Bell as a community stadium, retaining all matchday/sponsorship/F&B revenues and personalising the ground to make it a home rather than a tenancy is by far the best option.

Personally, I feel this statement is more about putting public pressure on Salford Council. Dismissing an opportunity to sell to a Salford businessman with plans to home 2 Salford clubs (SRD & Swinton) within a community stadium in favour of the Cheshire jetset would be an optics disaster so I'm glad the club are pulling the necessary levers to try and make this happen.

If the surrounding brownfield land can actually be developed and begin to feel more like a community of Salford than an out-of-town retail park then there will be real cause for excitement.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, To Be Confirmed said:

People have pet hates and t'interweb.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political