Salford to move to Moor Lane?

Given all the noise this sounds quite close to a done deal, magnificent news for the Salford red devils, their transfer incomings for next season will be interesting thats for sure.

24 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Well because for yonks there was no public transport links and an increasing number of people who live in urban environments do not own cars. 

Every stadium has issues like this to some extent and it was not well planned.

Does that increasing number mean RL fans or is it just SRD fans don't use cars to get there because of those issues?

On the Devil Talk forum this doesn't seem that much of a problem, and they're the people that use it most.

And just to echo

Let’s be Crystal. Many things Salford may be famous for, but backing out of a fight is not one of them. If it has anything to do with me the Red Devils will be staying @AJBell. Let’s create a legacy’s the city can be proud of. 👹👹

— Sebastian Gerrard (@sebgerrard) May 26, 2022

• Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 hours ago, To Be Confirmed said:

How exacty is it a crappy location? its pretty much straight off the motorway, is a 15min walk from one of the largest shopping centres in the north of England 

It is a bit of a crappy location for now. The new link Rd has helped as it directly links the M6 / M60 and Parkway meaning its easy to drive to, but public transport wise its still very poor. Peel holdings want the Metrolink extending beyond the Trafford Centre but realistically this wont happen until Peel fully develop the rest of the land along the ship canal. So it could be another 10-15 years before the Metrolink directly serves the stadium.

As for the walk - no way can you walk from the stadium to the Trafford Centre Metrolink stop & bus stops in 15mins, not unless you want to walk across all the derelict land directly to the lift bridge (not something i'd want to do at night)

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

It isn't a bad location, the supporters had coaches laid on from areas around the City. People can get to the Trafford Centre so getting to the ground isn't hard. 

Reality is people moan and find excuses not to attend. Many fans don't live in Weaste any more. 

The club is working with a lot of the local schools and the kids are having fun.

The naming rights are due to be available again soon (possibly next year)

What ever will be will be. Love to see some real investment especially if the current board continue to run the club in the same way.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

It is a bit of a crappy location for now. The new link Rd has helped as it directly links the M6 / M60 and Parkway meaning its easy to drive to, but public transport wise its still very poor. Peel holdings want the Metrolink extending beyond the Trafford Centre but realistically this wont happen until Peel fully develop the rest of the land along the ship canal. So it could be another 10-15 years before the Metrolink directly serves the stadium.

As for the walk - no way can you walk from the stadium to the Trafford Centre Metrolink stop & bus stops in 15mins, not unless you want to walk across all the derelict land directly to the lift bridge (not something i'd want to do at night)

This is exactly right and why owning the ground is the single-most important thing for the club long-term. No level of short-term player investment could match it.

Once the area surrounding the ground fulfils its potential the club could finally have a new community and new audience to grow from rather than relying solely on the traditional RL areas of Salford which aren't well connected to the AJ Bell. Given the wider growth of  the Manchester & Salford economies that is a very promising thing.

However, that is presently nothing more than a medium/long-term vision that hinges upon the recent news coming to fruition.

The current directors are the best thing to have happened to this club in a very long time. I hope for their sake as much as anyone else's that they can deliver this and remain in post to reap the rewards of what they've achieved in the post-Koukash years.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Ray Cashmere said:

The current directors are the best thing to have happened to this club in a very long time. I hope for their sake as much as anyone else's that they can deliver this and remain in post to reap the rewards of what they've achieved in the post-Koukash years.

Spot on Ray!

Edited by Oxford

I really hope it comes off and the place can start to really be branded as Salfords own home. It would be extremely sweet to see Sale booted out in to the bargain. I'm not sure how I feel on the football club and in particular Gary Neville in all this. He loves to come across as being all for the common man and a man of the fans, yet he clearly seems to have been comfortable enough getting his football club in to that Stadium in place of the Rugby League club. The Rugby League club has had a far bigger standing in the Salford community than the football club, long before it become a celebrities play thing and surely if he is a man of the people, he would do all he could to get two Salford teams, playing in a stadium in Salford and not try to pinch the place of the other side. I could be way off in saying all that, as I am not particularly close to it all but it's always interested me when I hear his 'we must mobilise against these greedy owners' line in football and when he bags club owners for sacking managers, on the back of changing managers at Salford City about 5 times in 5 years. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

It would still be a crappy location but they would own it and keep the revenue. 

Just feel Salford need someone to be a proper rival too so game in Manchester can have a boost. 

If it does happen hats off to those who kept them going last few years. 

Just as a matter of interest, have you ever been inside the AJ Bell?

Stretching the comparison somewhat here but...The AJBell stadium has had a shaky life so far , somewhat like watching a newly born giraffe trying to - and eventually - standing up.

Then there was that temporary structure on the banks of the Thames, the O2. A white elephant at the start (not a giraffe)it is now a hugely successful international venue. 

As things change around the AJ, then maybe it has a future 

Paul King, SRD's Managing director says:

“It’s no secret that Salford Red Devils operate without a benefactor in Super League and with that a much leaner financial situation. Further investment would unlock potential as an elite sports organisation in the Salford and Greater Manchester region. I welcome these talks, especially as Salford Red Devils is a community club, when business owners like Sebastian are local. Personally, I wish Sebastian every success with the proposal as it is further evidence that rugby league is a valued asset to this region.’’

So where will it land? Moor Lane or Barton. I presume the AJ Bell will end its association and a new sponsor will take over the naming of the stade.

So a puzzle.

SRD, Salford City and Sale need a ground. All three need a ground that they can make money from. And is it me but it seems that the value of the ground appears to be increasingly each and every silly story. It started out at £8m and now it is £20m. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

It started out at £8m and now it is £20m. 

The confusion is because Sale and SC want to pay their valuation and Salford council need to get as much as possible to stop all Salford's Man Utd fans complaining about the misuse of taxpayer's money.

13 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

So a puzzle.

SRD, Salford City and Sale need a ground. All three need a ground that they can make money from.

Not so much of a riddle really. Yes they all need a ground they can make money from.

If Sale (Kick & clap and Peel) get it SRD will be out of the ground that was supposed to be built for them.

For those who see k&c as our friends in sport this is just one of those things that happen so many people were happy with this prospect.

For those of you who think RL fans should actively support RL in its traditional areas 🤣 there's the Salford Stadium Petition

www.change.org/p/salford-council-the-aj-bell-stadium-must-stay-for-the-community-of-salford

Edited by Oxford

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Yeah about that..... If Salford could buy it then I'm guessing a fair few would be changing their mind 😂

I don't think that's accurate they've always felt it should be SRD's stadium but there was nothing that could be done about it.

Did you sign the petition?

Just now, Oxford said:

I don't think that's accurate they've always felt it should be SRD's stadium but there was nothing that could be done about it.

I was referring to it staying as a community stadium and presumably by that in council hands.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

I was referring to it staying as a community stadium and presumably by that in council hands.

That is one option but not for Salfordian tax payers who don't support SRD and don't think it's an important part of Salford life and culture.

Just now, Oxford said:

That is one option but not for Salfordian tax payers who don't support SRD and don't think it's an important part of Salford life and culture.

I would prefer for Salford to buy the stadium if they could. That would be a far superior outcome in my opinion. You seem not to want that.

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

I would prefer for Salford to buy the stadium if they could. That would be a far superior outcome in my opinion. You seem not to want that.

I would prefer SRD to own the stadium and kick kick & clap out . This would mean we could afford to take over Wolves mantle of it being our year every year!

But I'll take your response as a no.

The result I was expecting from most, to be honest hence the rolls about laughing image.

3 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I would prefer SRD to own the stadium and kick kick & clap out . This would mean we could afford to take over Wolves mantle of it being our year every year!

The result I was expecting from most, to be honest hence the rolls about laughing image.

So would I, I would love to see that too.

However its really odd that you have being so twisted on this. You've just proved my original reply. There was absolutely nothing outrageous about Salford fans who had signed that petition changing their mind if it meant them buying the stadium. As I said you show that.

Additionally Salford fans on here have been telling us how a move to Moor Lane will be better for the club as they would gain revenue streams and it would be far more affordable. It is seemingly what their owners wanted too. They have never been able to make playing at this community stadium work, have failed to pay rent in the past and have been hamstrung by it as they haven't been able to generate revenue. Yet you want this to continue, contradictory to many posts on here from other Salford fans saying that Moor Lane would be better.

The latest development changes that obviously and I genuinely hope this comes off as it would be great for Salford and RL.

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

So would I, I would love to see that too.

However its really odd that you have being so twisted on this. You've just proved my original reply. There was absolutely nothing outrageous about Salford fans who had signed that petition changing their mind if it meant them buying the stadium. As I said you show that.

Additionally Salford fans on here have been telling us how a move to Moor Lane will be better for the club as they would gain revenue streams and it would be far more affordable. It is seemingly what their owners wanted too. They have never been able to make playing at this community stadium work, have failed to pay rent in the past and have been hamstrung by it as they haven't been able to generate revenue. Yet you want this to continue, contradictory to many posts on here from other Salford fans saying that Moor Lane would be better.

The latest development changes that obviously and I genuinely hope this comes off as it would be great for Salford and RL.

Yes it is a potential game changer as you also have a friend in the RFL who may stage mid-season internationals (men or women) or CCFs there knowing the cash goes directly to Salford. You can charge Sale the going rate and if they moan and leave welcome Salford City with open arms (and get rid of the blue seats lol). It is win win.

When all said and done this stadium was originally built for Salford RL. It would be great if it came full circle.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Chances of kicking Sale out are slim to none, pretty sure they have a 25 year lease on the ground so if SRD were to own it Sale would still have the right to play there and pay rent.

only hope for that to happen is if Sale decided they wanted to leave of their own accord. 

12 minutes ago, To Be Confirmed said:

Chances of kicking Sale out are slim to none, pretty sure they have a 25 year lease on the ground so if SRD were to own it Sale would still have the right to play there and pay rent.

only hope for that to happen is if Sale decided they wanted to leave of their own accord. 

I said that's what I'd prefer not what I expected to happen. However, if SRD buy the stadium the rent would need to be extremely high for Sale  to pay for our rivalry with the top of SL.

What Sale (k&c -Peel) did with that would be up to them.

have you signed the petition?

34 minutes ago, Damien said:

There's nothing twisted about this ; I support RL and SRD they are my primary sporting passion.The Fans of SRD haven't changed their minds on anything as far as I'm aware. They want their team to own the stadium or have preferential treatment from the council of the city they come from. SRD fans have always seen the sharks as interlopers and I'd have thought any self-respecting TGG fan would share those views unless they don't like SRD or prefer k&c or have shares in Peel holdings.

And as I said I expect no one to support SRD on this in any meaningful way, and never did.

I suppose it all depends what you rather see at a stadium in Salford.