Salford to move to Moor Lane?

2 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

There is no way Salford fans would ever accept moving into Manchester or indeed rebranding as a Manchester club.

But Salford hardly have any fans, there is no point pandering to them. I have no idea about Salford moving to or becoming Manchester, but if it’s a chance it could be a success they should go for it rather than continuing to play in front of crowds of 3000 fans for Super League games and worrying about upsetting some old time supporters. Any true fans would move to their clubs new home.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Salford as a part time team in the smaller stadium.  Aim for 2000 adult season tickets with under 18's free with paying adult.  3g pitch in use Day and night so commercial partners and sponsors get their moneys worth.  Aim for 4k average as club challenges to get bk to SL in stronger position. 

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Salford as a part time team in the smaller stadium.  Aim for 2000 adult season tickets with under 18's free with paying adult.  3g pitch in use Day and night so commercial partners and sponsors get their moneys worth.  Aim for 4k average as club challenges to get bk to SL in stronger position. 

So the answer to Salford’s problems is move to a poor,tiny stadium,drop a division,go part time & play on a plastic pitch that little Freddie & his school mates can play on.

If I was a Salford fan I’m not sure I’d be impressed with that strategy & I’m pretty sure their fans would continue to dwindle away.until you’d be left with a 1000 or so aging diehards.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

So the answer to Salford’s problems is move to a poor,tiny stadium,drop a division,go part time & play on a plastic pitch that little Freddie & his school mates can play on.

If I was a Salford fan I’m not sure I’d be impressed with that strategy & I’m pretty sure their fans would continue to dwindle away.until you’d be left with a 1000 or so aging diehards.

How about Super League Europe put this to bed by saying you cannot compete in SL with a ####### 5k stadium? FFS it is an embarrassment to the competition. I don't care what their current crowds are, they are getting £1.6m in central distribution to be elite.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

How about Super League Europe put this to bed by saying you cannot compete in SL with a ####### 5k stadium? FFS it is an embarrassment to the competition. I don't care what their current crowds are, they are getting £1.6m in central distribution to be elite.

It is an embarrassment that a club playing in Soccer’s 4th division considers a stadium too small and inadequate, whereas a Super League club thinks it’s suitable for them. Too many small clubs survive on the £1.6m Sky money which is all generated by the big clubs. The sooner Super League outgrows the small time ambition-less clubs the better. Toulouse have done it, hopefully Newcastle, York and Bradford can follow them. Those clubs all have ambition and potential.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Salford have no foundation or future playing in their oversized box.  I think 4000 or a 5000 stadium is fine.  If you actually have analternative for Salford to have a viable future lets hear it.

Under either model  (franchising or p and r) Salford will either get kicked out or be relegated as they cannot financially compete due to zero income streams. 

The plan would have to be to use an asset to get as many kids playing league as possible, rebuild the fanbase through youth engagement and actually create a decent matchday atmosphere.

You dont have an alternative so you should probably suggest one or pipe down. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It is an embarrassment that a club playing in Soccer’s 4th division considers a stadium too small and inadequate, whereas a Super League club thinks it’s suitable for them. Too many small clubs survive on the £1.6m Sky money which is all generated by the big clubs. The sooner Super League outgrows the small time ambition-less clubs the better. Toulouse have done it, hopefully Newcastle, York and Bradford can follow them. Those clubs all have ambition and potential.

Bradford ? 
They play in a dump that needs bulldozed.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I think 4000 in a 5000 capacity stadium looks better than Huddersfields empty box or Wigans empty box. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Salford have no foundation or future playing in their oversized box.  I think 4000 or a 5000 stadium is fine.  If you actually have analternative for Salford to have a viable future lets hear it.

Under either model  (franchising or p and r) Salford will either get kicked out or be relegated as they cannot financially compete due to zero income streams. 

The plan would have to be to use an asset to get as many kids playing league as possible, rebuild the fanbase through youth engagement and actually create a decent matchday atmosphere.

You dont have an alternative so you should probably suggest one or pipe down. 

They have no future playing in a toy stadium that will do little to attract crowds.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Play in a stadium that doesn't look fit for Northern Conference football or find your level.

Yes and moving to Moor Lane would partly be about finding our level - which is in reality halfway between SL and Championship.

We also have very little choice at the minute - it looks like this option or we’re homeless.

7 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

Yes and moving to Moor Lane would partly be about finding our level - which is in reality halfway between SL and Championship.

We also have very little choice at the minute - it looks like this option or we’re homeless.

I have nothing against Salford who have a great history but I really can't see what the difference is between Hunslet and Dewsbury being denied promotion in 1999-2000 ish and Salford wanting to play in a tiny box stadium. Twenty years on we are supposed to be moving forward aren't we?

Wakefield were initially denied promotion over their stadium 1998 (yes 1998!) and they wangled this fabricated story about playing games at Barnsley. Hunslet were then denied promotion despite having a 2500 grandstand and offering to erect temp seating. Dewsbury's stadium is exactly what we are talking about with Salford - denied!

Now, two decades on Ealing Trailfinders and Moor Lane are being allowed into SL - which still has Cas and Wakefield FFS. We then wonder about attractiveness to broadcasters and big name sponsors. 

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 6

As an outsider looking in,Salford’s move to Moor Lane is in the immediate term sensible as they will be playing in a stadium they can afford to play in.It keeps them within their boundaries and keeps them in their own area.

But there is a problem further down the line. And that problem is the low capacity of the stadium.Will that be sustainable for Super League long term?And I think it is unlikely that stadium can be expanded further.

I don’t in all honesty think long term Salford will be an elite Super League club.Maybe if there is a Super League 2 say that might be their level.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

Not a Salford fan myself but I think that hits the nail on the head.

48 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

What's this fictitious league halfway between SL & Championship?

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Play in a stadium that doesn't look fit for Northern Conference football or find your level.

So you clearly werent reading the actual conments that read to this.  And your alternative doesnt exist so isnt an alternative. 

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

So you clearly werent reading the actual conments that read to this.  And your alternative doesnt exist so isnt an alternative. 

They have defaulted on a £1.5m bill to the council so are being shafted off to Moor Lane's tiny stadium not in the best area for growing a club. Effectively, the council saved them from administration and now are calling the shots - hence being punted to Moor Lane. SL should be stepping in and saying you will be relegated regardless in 2022 if this is your only available solution.

The SL either has minimum standards or is a Sunday pub league.

Edited by Scubby

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

They have defaulted on a £1.5m bill to the council so are being shafted off to Moor Lane's tiny stadium not in the best area for growing a club. Effectively, the council saved them from administration and now are calling the shots - hence being punted to Moor Lane. SL should be stepping in and saying you will be relegated regardless in 2022 if this is your only available solution.

So again if you had bothered to read this i said rebuild in championship. Its easier to attract fans in tight stadiums than in empty boxes otherwise Darlington would have been a premier league club.  

Bbc and Sky have had zero problem showing moor lane for EFL Fa Cup and League Cup.  20 -30 capacity stadiums are far worse for tv deals than Moor Lane. 

If they can put a 3g pitch down they can make the best of it. 

7 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

So again if you had bothered to read this i said rebuild in championship. Its easier to attract fans in tight stadiums than in empty boxes otherwise Darlington would have been a premier league club.  

Bbc and Sky have had zero problem showing moor lane for EFL Fa Cup and League Cup.  20 -30 capacity stadiums are far worse for tv deals than Moor Lane. 

If they can put a 3g pitch down they can make the best of it. 

They are not in the Championship though mate, they are in the SL, still signing NRL players, still in with a chance of staying up next season and SL are saying nothing about minimum standards. 

Edited by Scubby

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

They are not in the Championship though mate, they are in the SL, still signing NRL players, still in with a chance of staying up next season and SL are saying nothing about minimum standards. This isnt a franchising thread, we are talking about how Salford can make the best of it. 

If it were franchising then Giants Wakefield and perhaps Cas get go too. 

Read the thread you are posting on,  not the thread you want it to be. 

Is moor lane really as bad as being made out? Was good enough to be accepted into the football league, brand new construction and a capacity big enough to easily take Salford's average attendance, give the club a chance and see what happens 

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Read the thread you are posting on,  not the thread you want it to be. 

Franchising and minimum standards are a completely different thing. Salford are free to play where they like and sign who they like to stay up unless minimum stadium requirements are enforced. Salford are looking to move to a toy town stadium and have no intention of dropping down to the Championship and getting relegated. That is the thread.

Just now, Route66 said:

Is moor lane really as bad as being made out? Was good enough to be accepted into the football league, brand new construction and a capacity big enough to easily take Salford's average attendance, give the club a chance and see what happens 

So if Sheffield get promoted can they play in their new 2000 capacity stadium because it is easily big enough for their current crowd. Where does it end?

• Like 1