Salford to move to Moor Lane?

The Daddy

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

8 k is a great size for our mid tier clubs. Plenty of room to expand on their current fan base and get a bucket load of use out of the stadium. 

Yup Shropshire just say the smallest was 8k, SL's current largest is 25k for FC and Wigan.

For the NRL top being the Stadium Australia down to Campbeltown. 83 to 20k

The comparisons then the three major European Rugby Union leagues ranges from the Arriva stadium to the Stade André Moga, from 52 to 10k.

I could carry on, many of European football leagues have megas next to minis. Your locals have Real Madrid at 82 and Rayo at a cute 14k.

My point is most leagues if not all, have yer big and not so. 

Same with attendance,

Lets be honest our average is 8k. Whilst SRD is at 4-5.7K, the top is only another 9k. It is no worse a difference in percentage than most leagues. 

We need to encourage, support all our clubs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

The empty seats are a part of that product, only a fool would suggest otherwise. 

Come outside and say that.😀😀😀💩

I'm interested in that drive, that rush to judgment, that is so prevalent in our society. We all know that pleasurable rush that comes from condemning, and in the short term it's quite a satisfying thing to do, isn't it?

J. K. Rowling

1 hour ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Yup Shropshire just say the smallest was 8k, SL's current largest is 25k for FC and Wigan.

For the NRL top being the Stadium Australia down to Campbeltown. 83 to 20k

The comparisons then the three major European Rugby Union leagues ranges from the Arriva stadium to the Stade André Moga, from 52 to 10k.

I could carry on, many of European football leagues have megas next to minis. Your locals have Real Madrid at 82 and Rayo at a cute 14k.

My point is most leagues if not all, have yer big and not so. 

Same with attendance,

Lets be honest our average is 8k. Whilst SRD is at 4-5.7K, the top is only another 9k. It is no worse a difference in percentage than most leagues. 

We need to encourage, support all our clubs. 

There´s a reason BT avoid Wasps now. Why Super Rugby is in the floor because tv companies have a hard time selling that empty product when you have a competitior showing something better. 

In UK, full football stadiums and sold out darts events, sold out home cricket tests are the yardsticks all other products are measured against. I´m fairly positive about this move for Salford whatever division they are in. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

8 k is a great size for our mid tier clubs. Plenty of room to expand on their current fan base and get a bucket load of use out of the stadium. 

If clubs want a bucket load of use out of a stadium they should all take the Widnes route and play on 4G Astro 

to my knowledge as well as RL it is/has also been home to Liverpool & Everton ladies football, Widnes FC, Halton American Football and probably a few others 

Personally I don’t like the artificial pitches or watching games in stadiums with banks of empty seats draining the atmosphere 

Smaller grounds are not ideal but after 2 years of pandemic and the effect on finances I would rather clubs cut their cloth accordingly and survive than enter liquidation due to owing huge amounts of rent

• Like 3

At the moment I am contented with SRD staying up. A ground with a great view and indoor bogs that flush.

But.....

“I’d get the Pep Guardiola of rugby league and I’d say ‘we’re going to do something with this club, we’re going to be the best’ because Salford have never proved it.

“You’ve got to be better than St Helens and you’ve got to be better than Wigan or Castleford or Leeds."

We all love a dreamer don't we.

Especially a hard boiled businessman who might see a large extension in revenue streams as something worth investing also. Cas, Wakey, KR, SRD and perhaps erm London. 

One for Mr Drake et al to ask for some copy?

But kids, who is our Pep?? (and no he isn't called Brian)

1 minute ago, idrewthehaggis said:

At the moment I am contented with SRD staying up. A ground with a great view and indoor bogs that flush.

But.....

“I’d get the Pep Guardiola of rugby league and I’d say ‘we’re going to do something with this club, we’re going to be the best’ because Salford have never proved it.

“You’ve got to be better than St Helens and you’ve got to be better than Wigan or Castleford or Leeds."

We all love a dreamer don't we.

Especially a hard boiled businessman who might see a large extension in revenue streams as something worth investing also. Cas, Wakey, KR, SRD and perhaps erm London. 

One for Mr Drake et al to ask for some copy?

But kids, who is our Pep?? (and no he isn't called Brian)

Its something you can invest in.  A facility of your own to use 365 a year is a more entincing prospect than stuck in the shopping centre. 

But if they can just 3g it they can achieve what they want regardless.  A backer just might do it quicker. 

• Like 1

On 25/03/2022 at 11:45, ShropshireBull said:

When the company who bankrolled the sport slashes the money from 40 to 25 million,  I am concerned about providing them the best product possible. 

And broadcasting live games from a tiny stadium made from bolted together isofreights  is providing the best spectacle possible ?

3 hours ago, Davo5 said:

And broadcasting live games from a tiny stadium made from bolted together isofreights  is providing the best spectacle possible ?

This point keeps getting brought up but i just don’t get it. When Salford are shown live on TV now for 9/10 games there is a ruddy great empty stand running along the pitch facing the cameras, and a ruddy great empty stand behind the sticks to the left. It looks terrible and does not show the sport as a great spectacle.

I’ve been to both the AJ Bell and Moor Lane and both have flaws (as well as positives). But in terms of looking good for broadcasting then Moor Lane is certainly not making things any worse.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Interesting development just mentioned on Sky. Salford staying at AJ Bell ??

Well, if they are, they can keep using the rent money they withhold to pay for players they can't otherwise afford.

10 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Interesting development just mentioned on Sky. Salford staying at AJ Bell ??

Ooh, tell me more. Not room for three clubs there, surely? Salford FC deal fallen through? 

Posted (edited)

I’m thinking back to Jon Wilkin asking Fred Done if he’d ever buy Salford and whilst he said he felt he was too old, he did seem to have a glint in his eye. I don’t have a clue who may be getting involved but I’m sure the Salford fans would love to think it’s him. He did comment that if he ever did there would be no half measures and he’d want the best of the best coming in (although somebody best tell him there’s been talks about reducing the salary cap if he did fancy getting involved). 

**Edit** Just read it’s sadly not him. It’s a guy called Sebastian Gerrard who has put an offer in for the stadium. 

Edited by WN83

Salford Red Devils could be set for a stunning takeover by a businessman, according to Sky Sports pundit Jenna Brooks.

Brooks was reporting live at the AJ Bell Stadium as Salford take on Castleford Tigers in Super League tonight and she was able to report some exclusive news.

“Salford businessman Sebastian Gerrard, whose family has ben heavily linked with rugby league in 1960s ad 1970s, has placed a bid to purchase the AJ Bell Stadium which would mean Salford would continue to play at the stadium,” Brooks said.

“He also wants to invest heavily in the club to make Salford a major force in Super League for years to come.”

Salford Red Devils could be set for stunning takeover by businessman - Rugby League News (seriousaboutrl.com)

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Salford Red Devils could be set for a stunning takeover by a businessman, according to Sky Sports pundit Jenna Brooks.

Brooks was reporting live at the AJ Bell Stadium as Salford take on Castleford Tigers in Super League tonight and she was able to report some exclusive news.

“Salford businessman Sebastian Gerrard, whose family has ben heavily linked with rugby league in 1960s ad 1970s, has placed a bid to purchase the AJ Bell Stadium which would mean Salford would continue to play at the stadium,” Brooks said.

“He also wants to invest heavily in the club to make Salford a major force in Super League for years to come.”

Salford Red Devils could be set for stunning takeover by businessman - Rugby League News (seriousaboutrl.com)

Covered anywhere else yet?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, The storm said:

Never heard of him 

That's a shame.

He speaks highly of you.

• Haha 10

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A google shows he was involved in sponsoring the Salford and Swinton joint reserves team a couple of years ago:

Gerrard’s of Swinton managing director Sebastian Gerrard said: “We’re proud to partner with this team for its first season.

“As a long established business in the local community, the potential we discussed with Ian (Blease), for this side to give opportunities to talented players from the area was really exciting.

“Over the years, we have employed many rugby league players from the city, so this partnership adds to our tradition and history within the sport.”

https://swintonlionsrlfc.co.uk/news/lions-partner-with-salford-red-devils-for-reserve-side/

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

That's a shame.

He speaks highly of you.

Have you heard of him

The answer is no

• Haha 1