What next for our great club

jroyales

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

iN EFFECT WE HAVE NO CLUB.

THANKS TO CH FOR DESTROYING SOMETHING THAT WAS IMPORTANT TO MANY PEOPLE.

SOME WILL ARGUE HE KEPT THE CLUB ALIVE BUT REMEMBER HE WASN'T ON HIS OWN - HE DROVE THE OTHERS AWAY SO THE END OF THE CLUB IS DOWN TO HIM.

IF HE DID GO WHO WOULD TAKE OVER NOTHING BUT MEMORIES?

THANKS AGAIN CH FOR NOTHING! DOES THIS PUT HIM INTO THE SAME CATEGORY AS B***Y AND Q***N?

Honestly, I'm immune to it all now. Like I've said it's not the first time, probably not the last. We will be around next season. For the 50 odd years I've been a supporter we always been a yoh yoh club. Best season I remember was 89-90. Even then we were in the 2nd Division. But we had a home, a base, a physical focus point. That should be our priority now. I'll class next year as a win if we're in a proper RL ground in Oldham. Not white bank.

NOMADS NO MORE! Should be our rallying call.

I haven't posted on here for a long time, i watched oldham from 1982-2010 but my dad passed away in 2012 so lost touch and interest in the game but always look out for oldham's results. I was a ball boy as a kid saw Oldham beat Wigan with the Paddy Kirwan try, saw the aussies in 86 and still have a signed picture of Bruce Clark.

In my opinion the game in this country is dying if not already dead. 

Apart from the odd game SL is boring and predictable, it's only when the playoffs come around that the intensity level goes up.

One of the reasons why there is no money is because of the bosman rule, years ago if a team had cash flow problems they could sell a star player or 2 to help balance the books.nearly all players now below super league generally sign 1 or 2 year deals at the most, every year oldham seem to have to re-sign a full team.

I saw an interview with Jason Robinson on rugby am and he said that when SL kicked off there were a line of players outside a solicitors in Bradford getting £1m contracts and the powers of super league said money wouldn't go into players pockets...well it looks like it has if the game is broke, yes the pandemic hasn't helped cash flow but if you look at the crowds on sky they are laughable! how can a team be full time on 3-4000 crowds. every time i see huddersfield or salford on tv the ground looks empty.

I used to stand on the herbert st side of 'sheddings and obviously the sale of it hasn't helped in building any foundations anywhere, I bet there aren't many kids at Bower Fold, just an ageing fan base. I looked at crowds in the Championship recently and none of the ones I saw were above 1000. 

I think the best plan of action would be to see CH walk away and let the club go under and hope someone who has a few quid comes in and takes over. A professional club run by 1 man is a farce I don't know of any club SL,Championship or L1 that is run by one man??!! even amateur clubs have a board!! You may say we won't have a team to watch but I watched the season were we didn't win a game and we played at spotland, the full season that was beyond dire!

The game is run by muppets and you can guarantee if oldham do fold, the RL won't bat an eye, just like in 1997.

O.R.L.F.C FOREVER!!

On 29/09/2021 at 17:53, herbert st boy said:

I haven't posted on here for a long time, i watched oldham from 1982-2010 but my dad passed away in 2012 so lost touch and interest in the game but always look out for oldham's results. I was a ball boy as a kid saw Oldham beat Wigan with the Paddy Kirwan try, saw the aussies in 86 and still have a signed picture of Bruce Clark.

In my opinion the game in this country is dying if not already dead. 

Apart from the odd game SL is boring and predictable, it's only when the playoffs come around that the intensity level goes up.

One of the reasons why there is no money is because of the bosman rule, years ago if a team had cash flow problems they could sell a star player or 2 to help balance the books.nearly all players now below super league generally sign 1 or 2 year deals at the most, every year oldham seem to have to re-sign a full team.

I saw an interview with Jason Robinson on rugby am and he said that when SL kicked off there were a line of players outside a solicitors in Bradford getting £1m contracts and the powers of super league said money wouldn't go into players pockets...well it looks like it has if the game is broke, yes the pandemic hasn't helped cash flow but if you look at the crowds on sky they are laughable! how can a team be full time on 3-4000 crowds. every time i see huddersfield or salford on tv the ground looks empty.

I used to stand on the herbert st side of 'sheddings and obviously the sale of it hasn't helped in building any foundations anywhere, I bet there aren't many kids at Bower Fold, just an ageing fan base. I looked at crowds in the Championship recently and none of the ones I saw were above 1000. 

I think the best plan of action would be to see CH walk away and let the club go under and hope someone who has a few quid comes in and takes over. A professional club run by 1 man is a farce I don't know of any club SL,Championship or L1 that is run by one man??!! even amateur clubs have a board!! You may say we won't have a team to watch but I watched the season were we didn't win a game and we played at spotland, the full season that was beyond dire!

The game is run by muppets and you can guarantee if oldham do fold, the RL won't bat an eye, just like in 1997.

The problem is it's CH's baby.  There's no doubting that he has a desire and passion to get the club up where we all believe it should be. But You're right he needs help, however, that help requires people with throw away money. Real money. Less than a million and it's a no hoper. You need a million just to get your foot in door. Just look at York and Newcastle, not built on tradition, history or passion of the fans who's granddad's told them of great and glorious feats. There's no black and white silent movies of them from 1904. (*Edit, it was actually 1901, the oldest film of rugby of any code). No, they're built on money. Superleague is built on money. Not history or passion. Amateur clubs are built on passion, on history of the locals. That's why I keep going on about teaming up with an amateur club and rebuild the passion. Last year a group of us led by "Rugby league does what sky says" and helped by Ginny and Adrian Alexander, pushed for a trophy to be named after Joseph Platt. The RFL acquiesced to this, but covid overtook events, but at least we got him into hall of fame. As far as crowds are concerned if we were to ,for example, move in with St Anne's,I know I know!, I predict that first game would attract at least 1,000 maybe more. Let's get back in East side Oldham.

Sorry I don't know who quoted that but he is 100% spot on.

There was a lot of anger and doubters about SL when it was talked about in 96, saying it won't work and apart from Wigan winning everything every year has the game become better?? Now I think the game has become robotic and too predictable. I recently read an interview with Garry Schofield and he said the game is boring and he was one of the best GB of my generation. How many SL teams get beaten by lower league teams these days, yeah the odd one like Oldham beating Hull KR ,but before SL there were more chances of the odd upset. Even our league this year has 2 leagues. if you have money then you will go far...Toronto accepted with piles of cash, soon as the money dried up they were soon kicked out ( not that they should have been in SL anyway in my opinion )

Sadly sport today is all about money and business and with only 1 man in control Oldham will never have any. I heard a story that an oldham fan called Tommy Coyne if i am correct won some money on the lottery and wanted to put a few quid into the club, he paid for the players to stay overnight in a hotel before a game and asked CH if he could present an award at the end of season seeing as he had financially helped out, he thought it was the least he could do....CH said no. He has slowly killed Oldham and upset so many people and now you see the state of the club that it could go to the wall...again!

O.R.L.F.C FOREVER!!

10 minutes ago, herbert st boy said:

Sorry I don't know who quoted that but he is 100% spot on.

There was a lot of anger and doubters about SL when it was talked about in 96, saying it won't work and apart from Wigan winning everything every year has the game become better?? Now I think the game has become robotic and too predictable. I recently read an interview with Garry Schofield and he said the game is boring and he was one of the best GB of my generation. How many SL teams get beaten by lower league teams these days, yeah the odd one like Oldham beating Hull KR ,but before SL there were more chances of the odd upset. Even our league this year has 2 leagues. if you have money then you will go far...Toronto accepted with piles of cash, soon as the money dried up they were soon kicked out ( not that they should have been in SL anyway in my opinion )

Sadly sport today is all about money and business and with only 1 man in control Oldham will never have any. I heard a story that an oldham fan called Tommy Coyne if i am correct won some money on the lottery and wanted to put a few quid into the club, he paid for the players to stay overnight in a hotel before a game and asked CH if he could present an award at the end of season seeing as he had financially helped out, he thought it was the least he could do....CH said no. He has slowly killed Oldham and upset so many people and now you see the state of the club that it could go to the wall...again!

"RL does what sky says" was the name of the person on the forum, that I was talking about.

Archived