What next for our great club

jroyales

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It could be anyone, the games not cash rich at any level. It's going to be interesting to see what the beginning of next season looks like. I can see it being carnage. There's probably quite a number of clubs that consider the central funding as an income. 

4 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

It could be anyone, the games not cash rich at any level. It's going to be interesting to see what the beginning of next season looks like. I can see it being carnage. There's probably quite a number of clubs that consider the central funding as an income. 

It's not rocket science and doesn't involve any new economic theory. Look at how much money Widnes fans came up with, and are still coming up with. If sky aren't funding us , we need to find new, or old ways of funding. The club needs to look deep into its heart and ask what's our prime, over riding, number one objective. AND START THERE. If those in charge feel that it's survival, then that's the most you will achieve. If it's to get the backing of an entire town, to achieve a following of an entire community, to get the public of Oldham queueing up round the corner on game days paying the market rate, that covers outgoings and wages, that gets them coming into the club bar, happily, I repeat happily, paying £3 a pint. With a minimum of 3 pints post match. Then you've got to start planning on that basis. You all know where I think we should start! We are Oldham. We are in the the earliest film of any rugby match ever, 1901, we were the engine of the RFL for its first 30 years. Let's push the message. Let's get back in town. WE ARE OLDHAM!.

I am not familiar with the Oldham area nor am I a roughyeds fan but as an outsider looking in,surely one of the amateur clubs in Oldham,and I gather there are a few would have(I assume)at least enough land where if Oldham RLFC were able to join forces with that amateur club and somehow put a joint case together for funding from sources such as Sport England and the National Lottery for a stadium which is of Championship quality that the roughyeds and an amateur club could jointly use along with the community at large along with a base for say a ladies rugby league team so they too can use good facilities?

Have Oldham RLFC tried doing this or not?

If not then why?

And in my opinion if they have tried doing something like this and failed then they can at least say in public this is what we have tried to do but to no avail.

Or am I just talking a load of 💩?

3 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

I am not familiar with the Oldham area nor am I a roughyeds fan but as an outsider looking in,surely one of the amateur clubs in Oldham,and I gather there are a few would have(I assume)at least enough land where if Oldham RLFC were able to join forces with that amateur club and somehow put a joint case together for funding from sources such as Sport England and the National Lottery for a stadium which is of Championship quality that the roughyeds and an amateur club could jointly use along with the community at large along with a base for say a ladies rugby league team so they too can use good facilities?

Have Oldham RLFC tried doing this or not?

If not then why?

And in my opinion if they have tried doing something like this and failed then they can at least say in public this is what we have tried to do but to no avail.

Or am I just talking a load of 💩?

As someone who is on the outside looking in, that sounds like a perfectly reasonable suggestion. But I'm certainly no expert and maybe others on here can see potential flaws in such a plan.

As for why ORLFC haven't tried it already (and as far as I'm aware they haven't), it's one of numerous questions that could be asked about the running of the Club, including Art of Hand and Foot's pondering on whether or not they actually want the backing of the entire town etc. But these are questions that only CH can answer and I don't envisage that happening any time soon.

14 minutes ago, jroyales said:

Have faith CH has a cunning plan but he doesn't know it yet and if he did, like times gone by he won't be sharing it with anyone.

When does the new season start? Am I correct in saying clubs will begin pre-season training next month?

Baldrick in blackadder had a cunning plan didn't he. 

The longer this situation with us not signing anyone and the club staying silent people will get disenchanted and walk away. The club owes it to the fans who do show up to games some sort of statement as to where the club they support goes from here. That's unless they don't know themselves. 

News about the Roberts departure is on the Oldham website now.  The last paragraph is this:

Both Swinton and Oldham were relegated from the Championship this year (Swinton finished bottom and Oldham next to bottom), so in 2022 Roberts will be playing in League One against his former Bower Fold team mates.

That suggests to me that a group of players from the 2021 squad will be present in the 2022 squad.  There are 19 remaining.

https://trello.com/b/rVp9DsQ4/oldham-rlfc-2022

I can't see how we're gonna get out a team next year. If Owen,Joy,Bridge and probably Spencer are retiring and langers is leaving to stay in the championship the absolute heart of the team is being ripped out.

We essentially are just gonna have young Oldham lads like Jinks and Hartley left. Was hoping all the young lads from this year would stay and they would really improve in League One but I don't think we can even afford that at the min.

What’s this thing about wishing good luck to players leaving our club, OK the likes of the 4 that left for Widnes won’t bother us they’re in another league, although I for one won’t make it my weekly routine to check how they’ve played, they’ve gone, forget them. But the likes of Max Roberts, he won’t be getting any good luck acknowledgment from me, as far as I’m concerned he’s turned his back on us.

On the other hand I may be doing them all a disservice, there could no ORLFC left to play for.

Archived