Betfred Championship Young Player of the Year -

Tyler Dupree (Oldham)

Luis Roberts (Swinton Lions)

Ebon Scurr (Bradford Bulls)

Betfred Championship Coach of the Year -

Gary Charlton (Whitehaven)

Simon Grix (Halifax Panthers)

Craig Lingard (Batley Bulldogs)

These awards tend to go to the coach whose club has exceeded expectations the most rather than necessarily the most successful ones. So for instance in 2019 James Ford won it even though Brian McDermott at Toronto only lost 1 game all season. The year before Danny Ward won it even though London lost 6 games against Toronto's 2 in the league. Same happened in 2017 when Andrew Henderson won it even though Hull KR finished top and 2016 when John Kear won it.

Toulouse and Fev clearly have far more powerful squads than anyone else so even though they have lost 1 game between them they can't really be said to have over-achieved so Houles and Webster were not really likely candidates. Personally I'll be amazed if Gary Charlton doesn't win this, everyone had Whitehaven earmarked for relegation and they've made the play-offs, he should be a shoe-in.

The only controversial one amongst the coaches is Simon Grix, though as Fev fans we can warmly endorse him for gifting us Gadwin.

The obvious omission is Lachlan Walmsley, he's a year too old for young player of the year but he should have probably been in the conversation for player of the year.

20 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

These awards tend to go to the coach whose club has exceeded expectations the most rather than necessarily the most successful ones. So for instance in 2019 James Ford won it even though Brian McDermott at Toronto only lost 1 game all season. The year before Danny Ward won it even though London lost 6 games against Toronto's 2 in the league. Same happened in 2017 when Andrew Henderson won it even though Hull KR finished top and 2016 when John Kear won it.

Toulouse and Fev clearly have far more powerful squads than anyone else so even though they have lost 1 game between them they can't really be said to have over-achieved so Houles and Webster were not really likely candidates. Personally I'll be amazed if Gary Charlton doesn't win this, everyone had Whitehaven earmarked for relegation and they've made the play-offs, he should be a shoe-in.

The only controversial one amongst the coaches is Simon Grix, though as Fev fans we can warmly endorse him for gifting us Gadwin.

The obvious omission is Lachlan Walmsley, he's a year too old for young player of the year but he should have probably been in the conversation for player of the year.

agree about walmsley (  like how you class the 1 loss between you) 😄😄😄

50 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Im not sure who else they could have gone for to be honest. I reckon we have about the 7th or 8th biggest budget, most people were tipping us outside the top 6 and we have managed to finish 3rd despite the injuries that we have suffered from the half way point of the season. In that sense I think we have over achieved but you are right it has to be Gary Charlton. That really is an amazing fete to finish 6th after been most peoples favs for the drop.

Agree about Walmsley, I said when we played Haven up there hes probably in the top 2 or 3 players I have seen in the Championship this season and talking to a few Haven fans he seemed he was set to go to Wigan and I agreed he were far too good for this league. I can't see I am too disappointed he fancies another year in the Championship even if it is only for 1 year before he does eventually go to Wigan. 

I think I would go for Craig Lingard as coach of the year. Halifax have done well of course especially when the likes of York and Widnes and London were widely tipped to be up there. Whitehaven have made a stunning late surge. With the class in squads at Toulouse and Fev it would be unfair to short list those two coaches albeit probably the best two in the championship.

The only surprise with the coaches choice is they haven't picked the coach from the RFL's favourite PET project Bradford🤣

As regards players  surprised James got the nod ( two from one club) but more surprised with Ford who I  don't think has  been the best at TO but that makes no difference because I think 26 tries and 85 goals steals the show 🤩

23 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

What's the age limit for Young Player?

I wonder if any of our squad even qualified?

7 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

What's the age limit for Young Player?

I wonder if any of our squad even qualified?

A minimum of 10 first team appearances, and contenders had to have been 21 or under on January 1, 2021.

I make it Loui McConnell might have qualified, right age and I think he played 9 games for us plus a couple for Doncaster.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

A minimum of 10 first team appearances, and contenders had to have been 21 or under on January 1, 2021.

I make it Loui McConnell might have qualified, right age and I think he played 9 games for us plus a couple for Doncaster.

Actually on reflection that would mean he hadn't played 10 games in the Championship so wouldn't have qualified.

As I've similarly just post on Ian's Facebook page, I pay as much attention to club of year, player of the year etc, as I do to the man of the match award.

There are well run clubs and not so well run clubs. If fev were awarded the club of the year I would be equally ambivalent. It's not an issue I really pay much attention to.

Now, imagine fev won promotion..... I would be as high as a high thing who's just gone higher than that Richard branson fella after another year of uk tax avoidance. 

On 22/09/2021 at 22:18, haskey said:

Surprised Webster has not been nominated for coach of the year

Had we beaten Toulouse convincingly and possibly had a better run in the challenge cup and taken a SL scalp or two in that then your point probably has some merit

Archived