James Roby

Pending retiremant announced today. Everyone on this board seems to think he is miles better than NRL era Hodgson, and Roby would have been better than Cam Smith and would have found the NRL too easy for him so he stopped in St Helen's. As great a player as he is I have my doubts.

Thoughts? 🙂

(btw I do think he is a great, great player, just not the best no 9 in the world for the last 10 years and as such I seem to be in a minority of 1)

4 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

Pending retiremant announced today. Everyone on this board seems to think he is miles better than NRL era Hodgson, and Roby would have been better than Cam Smith and would have found the NRL too easy for him so he stopped in St Helen's. As great a player as he is I have my doubts.

Thoughts? 🙂

(btw I do think he is a great, great player, just not the best no 9 in the world for the last 10 years and as such I seem to be in a minority of 1)

International retirement announced today. Not full retirement, unless I've missed a secondary announcement.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Roby is absolutely a great of the game I think he would’ve had no problem in the NRL may have shortened his career though. Completely different player to Smith or Hodgson so not really a good comparison would depend what your team was after. My own opinion on him is that if I was picking a team from any era to play a one off game/final I’d still pick Cunningham as hooker purely for the influence on a game he was capable of having. What Roby does give you is a level of consistency that I’m not sure I’ve seen from any other player. He’s at least an 8/9 every week and virtually has Been his entire career. I only say virtually as he must’ve had games were he’s dropped below that I just can’t think of any. 

• Like 1

My thoughts on the Smith vs. Roby debate.  When they were both at their very best...

Defence - can't separate them.  Both had a huge work ethic and technically excellent.

Distribution - the best in both hemispheres.  Smith was maybe a bit more scheming than Roby but they were both superb from the base of the ruck in getting their teams on the font foot.

Kicking - clear win for Smith.  The best kicking game from a 9 bar none

Running - clear win for Roby.

You could add in the goalkicking of Smith and his captaincy/tactical brain that perhaps Roby only developed later in his career but I genuinely can't separate them.

Although, I am with bobbruce, if I were to pick the best 9 I have ever seen when they are all on the very top of their game I would go with Cunningham.  He was an absolute match winner and unstoppable at times.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

On 22/09/2021 at 20:20, thebrewxi said:

Thoughts? 🙂

Absolutely no one has said he would have found the NRL too easy & that’s why he stayed in SL,but yes he’d have been a great 9 in the NRL and up there with Smith as one of the best in his position.

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Absolutely no one has said he would have found the NRL too easy & that’s why he stayed in SL,but yes he’d have been a great 9 in the NRL and up there with Smith as one of the best in his position.

I know, I know. I was pulling the leg a little with my post and elaborating a little I think on what people have said. I was really just highlighting that whenever I say that in my opinion Hodgson has been a better hooker as hes proven in the best league, it's like open season on me and josh, and I am in a minority of one...  well me and wayne bennet perhaps but what does he know?