Blake Ferguson

not offered a new contract by the eels - and unlikely to find a regular starting spot in the NRL- seems to think his next and only option is RU  and not a couple of seasons in SL- is this the next step in the way things are going ????"Fergo" would be a great addition to any SL side and would soon be a fans favourite and individual full of character but no mention of that even been an option - another sad state of affairs - good luck on the dark side anyhow.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

not offered a new contract by the eels - and unlikely to find a regular starting spot in the NRL- seems to think his next and only option is RU  and not a couple of seasons in SL- is this the next step in the way things are going ????"Fergo" would be a great addition to any SL side and would soon be a fans favourite and individual full of character but no mention of that even been an option - another sad state of affairs - good luck on the dark side anyhow.

They are welcome to him

We complain when SL clubs take washed up or average NRL players at the expense of young British (or French) homegrown talent..... and we now complain when they don't.. 🤔🤔

2 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

They are welcome to him

of course the last thing we need to entertain the faithful  are charismatic, entertaining - powerful wingers- silly me

1 minute ago, Mr Frisky said:

We complain when SL clubs take washed up or average NRL players at the expense of young British (or French) homegrown talent..... and we now complain when they don't.. 🤔🤔

neither washed up or average - name a young talent on the wing better than him we have in the SL? 

5 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

of course the last thing we need to entertain the faithful  are charismatic, entertaining - powerful wingers- silly me

That was the Ferguson of a few years ago, he’s a long way past his best and a waste of money for any SL club.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

That was the Ferguson of a few years ago, he’s a long way past his best and a waste of money for any SL club.

he is a 31 year old kangaroo international with loads still to give - the fact is the option is RU and not SL - the point of this thread is "is this the direction in which we are going to entertain the public?" 

6 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

he is a 31 year old kangaroo international with loads still to give - the fact is the option is RU and not SL - the point of this thread is "is this the direction in which we are going to entertain the public?" 

I agree. He’s nowhere near over the hill and would absolutely smash it over here for 2/3 years for sure.  Pace, power and skill…..gotta worth a punt for someone?

1 minute ago, Dallas Mead said:

I agree. He’s nowhere near over the hill and would absolutely smash it over here for 2/3 years for sure.  Pace, power and skill…..gotta worth a punt for someone?

the same people who dont believe that are the same people on this forum who dont believe the eng and aus teams are even further apart now than they were in 1982- in reality thank god the wc is not happening as we would be suffering our worst defeats in living memory with the current mis match

7 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

the same people who dont believe that are the same people on this forum who dont believe the eng and aus teams are even further apart now than they were in 1982- in reality thank god the wc is not happening as we would be suffering our worst defeats in living memory with the current mis match

Worse than 62-10 in 2002? I seriously doubt that will happen again in living memory.

Problem with Ferguson is he is a winger and as an ex-Kangaroo will be after a big contract, which is why no NRL club is signing him. 31 year old wingers don't win competitions, never have.

Yes, he would be a serious cult hero in SL I am absolutely sure, but no British club will have the salary cap space he will be after. 2022 is a dog eat dog year if the rumours of a 10 team SL in 2023 are true, an expensive winger is too much of a risk for any British club.

I'm suprised (and pleased) Australian RU haven't learnt their lesson if they are after him, they have burnt a lot of cash over the years chasing NRL wingers as cheap fixes.

Scores tries these days when he’s walked in by high-quality halves and three quarters, just can’t see value for money in a weaker SL side. Ryan Hall he’s not 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

neither washed up or average - name a young talent on the wing better than him we have in the SL? 

Thats the point we wouldn't see young SL players coming through is a club spent a load of money for him.

There is still big money in SL (just ask the likes of Tomkins, Widdop, Williams etc) but no SL club is going to break the bank for an aging player non of the NRL clubs are willing to spend money on. As has been said hes the wrong position for starters, marquee players from the NRL are usually experienced half backs or even top level forwards.

Believe he's off to Japanese RU so I don't think any NRL/SL side would be able to compete on the finance front. 

Claims he's well past his best are off the mark though, he would easily be the best NRL winger in recent memory to have headed to SL. The trap signing on the market clubs should steer clear of at the moment is undoubtedly Corey Norman.

4 minutes ago, UTK said:

Believe he's off to Japanese RU so I don't think any NRL/SL side would be able to compete on the finance front. 

Claims he's well past his best are off the mark though, he would easily be the best NRL winger in recent memory to have headed to SL. The trap signing on the market clubs should steer clear of at the moment is undoubtedly Corey Norman.

and so there is the point of the thread- case closed- sad state of affairs for our game- was using him as a measure of it and nothing more 

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

and so there is the point of the thread- case closed- sad state of affairs for our game- was using him as a measure of it and nothing more 

I agree, he's one of my favourite players to watch play and has been an extremely good winger for a long time. I think as some have pointed out though it's a bit contextual in a positional sense, in that we don't typically value the contribution of a winger very highly so SL clubs don't spend quota spots on them when they could take a halfback instead. Therefore the standard of wingers that come across isn't generally as high and teams rely on finding a diamond in the rough if they want a winger.

The same conundrum is indeed applicable to those leaving the NRL for RU who are often quality wingers who have reached their max potential earnings as a winger in the NRL and therefore look to RU instead. Examples would be Semi Radradra, Marika Koroibete, Suliasi Vunivalu etc. Also happens inside the NRL when a winger/outside back attempts to swap to fullback to increase their earning potential with varying success - Alex Johnston, Latrell Mitchell, Joey Manu is likely to be the next one.

10 minutes ago, UTK said:

I agree, he's one of my favourite players to watch play and has been an extremely good winger for a long time. I think as some have pointed out though it's a bit contextual in a positional sense, in that we don't typically value the contribution of a winger very highly so SL clubs don't spend quota spots on them when they could take a halfback instead. Therefore the standard of wingers that come across isn't generally as high and teams rely on finding a diamond in the rough if they want a winger.

The same conundrum is indeed applicable to those leaving the NRL for RU who are often quality wingers who have reached their max potential earnings as a winger in the NRL and therefore look to RU instead. Examples would be Semi Radradra, Marika Koroibete, Suliasi Vunivalu etc. Also happens inside the NRL when a winger/outside back attempts to swap to fullback to increase their earning potential with varying success - Alex Johnston, Latrell Mitchell, Joey Manu is likely to be the next one.

in the words of roy orbison - "you got it"

Sounds like the best resolution for all concerned would be for Blake to go and coin it in in Japanese RU and for Graveyard to go along as his groupie.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 hours ago, frank said:

This guy was great when he played in the NRL. Judging guys when they are at the back end of their career is not smart.

He still is playing in the NRL, regularly for one of the best teams. He’d rip it up in SL as a player, though there are obvious question marks over his off field life (as there are with many players). 

Has been a great finisher throughout his career although prone to the odd comical brainfart,but is definitely on the way down & only returned to the Eels side when Sivo was ruled out for the season,his diminishing talent won’t justify his wage demands so Japan RU is probably his best option.

Archived