Blake Ferguson

He's a quality player and I have no problems with quality players coming into Super League.  But I do fear that his body is starting to let him down... he is often receiving treatment and coming on or off the field bandaged up. Maybe the Eels have come to the conclusion that he doesn't have another season or two in him at the top level.  Who knows, but I think there is a risk there.

Plus I am not a big fan of his antics at the weekend pretending to be injured to gain a penalty.  But he is not alone in that unfortunately. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Entertaining player who's time in an NRL salary cap spot is now over. He should learn some Japanese and top up the pension pot for 2 or 3 years.

Point for the future, if we derided "past their best " Aussies coming over to Super League, I suspect that time may be ending sometime soon, as Super League wont be able to afford them

I like him, I still think he’s got a lot to offer. He’s got some great attributes, is a big lad, aggressive and can score the spectacular corner-post try. 

My only concern was his fitness which seems to be quickly fading; often seen gasping for air and down on haunches. 

Think he’s be a good buy at a cut price 1-2 season contract. 

There’s probably a few more “ Matty Ashton’s “ knocking about in the lower leagues worth a punt or if you’re looking for a proven, established Super League player, Ken Sio would probably cost less than Ferguson who, let’s face it, if he’s considering Japan RU, money seems his goal at this point in his career and who can blame him

I reckon he would be a good pick up … but he’s shown no apparent willingness to consider it and I think after being battered around and busted in the NRL for years he honestly is looking at a big pay deal for a lot less hard yakka in Union . Good luck to him if so he’s been a fine player who’s been good to watch . The weekend incident wasn’t pretty though , although it’s just a snapshot of a wider issue

8 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Money and probably lifestyle too. He is choosing Japan as a place to live, over places like Wakefield, Castleford or Hull. And who can blame him? 

And of course you’ve visited all those places to make such an informative statement.

12 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Money and probably lifestyle too. He is choosing Japan as a place to live, over places like Wakefield, Castleford or Hull. And who can blame him? 

the real point of the thread was just using BF as an example - the fact that there have been no links to or approaches to a good player thats a free agent from SL clubs and he is looking towards entertaining RU crowds instead, will this become a regular and normal theme of recruitment from now on - I mean hes 10x the player of Hopoate to be fair

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

11 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

the real point of the thread was just using BF as an example - the fact that there have been no links to or approaches to a good player thats a free agent from SL clubs and he is looking towards entertaining RU crowds instead, will this become a regular and normal theme of recruitment from now on - I mean hes 10x the player of Hopoate to be fair

He was only released a few days ago,but if if no Superleague clubs want th shell out big money on a veteran winger I really don’t see what the problem is.

By the sounds of it he’s after an easy couple of years earning a wad of cash playing kick & clap where he’ll touch the ball twice & make 3 tackles per game.

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

If Japanese Rugby Union want to throw silly money at a 31 year old Rugby League player then yes, it will become a regular theme.

And I would encourage them to take it... a decade in the NRL and then 2 or 3 years in Japanese Rugby Union seems sensible. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

If Japanese Rugby Union want to throw silly money at a 31 year old Rugby League player then yes, it will become a regular theme.

And I would encourage them to take it... a decade in the NRL and then 2 or 3 years in Japanese Rugby Union seems sensible. 

but does nothing for SL as a product or for the fans old or new

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

We will cope.  If our entertainment is based on the likes of Blake Ferguson coming over then I think we are in a poor state anyway.  We can produce talented and entertaining players and we should focus on that.

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

A winger in his thirties has more transferable qualities in Union than halves/forwards so I doubt you’ll get a horde of players retiring to Japanese kick & clap.

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

We will cope.  If our entertainment is based on the likes of Blake Ferguson coming over then I think we are in a poor state anyway.  We can produce talented and entertaining players and we should focus on that.

could you please tell me of some of these young - entertaining - talented players ready to come off the production line?

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

could you please tell me of some of these young - entertaining - talented players ready to come off the production line?

Thats the point - we would start to see them if some of the journey men from the NRL didn't fill the places.

Got to take a chance and give young British and French talent a go.

There is always room for some NRL players in SL but there is a balance.

6 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Thats the point - we would start to see them if some of the journey men from the NRL didn't fill the places.

Got to take a chance and give young British and French talent a go.

There is always room for some NRL players in SL but there is a balance.

i dont believe for a minute a short term nrl player would hinder a new jason robinson or antony sullivan getting a starting spot in SL the fact  is the conveyer belt for whatever reasons has stopped rolling and fans are walking away from a game over full with mediocrity 

Archived