Steve Prescott Man of Steel shortlist

Dunbar

Jake Connor, Jonny Lomax, Sam Tomkins, Gareth Widdop & Jordan Abdull

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/58669883

Personally, I can't look past Tomkins, he has been the outstanding player in the league's best team.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Agree with everyone else. Has to be Tomkins.

Connor has had a very good season and should hopefully be back in the England reckoning. But ultimately couldn't lead his team to the playoffs never mind a grand final. 

Lomax and Widdop have both had good seasons too but I can't say they have ever stood head and shoulders above the rest in any game I've watched them in this year.

Abdull has developed into a quality player and he's great to watch but probably not quite MOS standard.

Tomkins is the obvious choice.

16 hours ago, Live after death said:

Widdop, really?

Matt Prior for me but this new system players like him will never  get near the award again its all about the dhow ponys 

I agree he is a top contender. He's been consistently great at strong carries and is so hard to get down despite not bring a massive forward. Always looking for the offload too and can't remember seeing him make a handling error 

1 hour ago, Barry Badrinath said:

well no, its based on the accumulation of points now, and up until him getting injured in june he was up there with tomkins as best player in the league, 

But that doesn’t fit the narrative, and is based on truth and logic rather than Barry and Terry’s commentary 😊

Tomkins edges it though, based on the second half of the season and his overall effect on the team. 

The points based system really does favour the play makers.  The 3 points will typically go to the most influential player in the winning team and very often (not always) that will be a spine player.

Alex Walmsley has had as good a season as I have seen from a middle forward in Super League while Mikołaj Olędzk and Prior have been very good for Leeds for most of the season but not on the list.

We have to get used to it I think.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The points based system really does favour the play makers.  The 3 points will typically go to the most influential player in the winning team and very often (not always) that will be a spine player.

Alex Walmsley has had as good a season as I have seen from a middle forward in Super League while Mikołaj Olędzk and Prior have been very good for Leeds for most of the season but not on the list.

I think Walmsley should have won it last season to be honest and I'd put him 2nd behind Tomkins this season.

22 hours ago, Live after death said:

Widdop, really?

Matt Prior for me but this new system players like him will never  get near the award again its all about the dhow ponys 

I wouldn't go for Prior personally although he has been really good this year, but I agree with your assessment of the system. A player like Prior could be exceptional week in week out and probably wouldn't even get a mention. Perhaps a barnstorming Walmsley type might get a look in. But the proper engine room players just don't get the recognition in this system.

3 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

Is this based on weekly points? And if so, is that used to determine a short list which is then voted on, or do they already know the winner based on the points and just realised a list of the top few to build tension? Thanks.

I believe it is the latter. These are the top scorers and the winner is already one of them.

On 24/09/2021 at 13:49, Dunbar said:

I agree Walmsley has been not only the most influential player for Saints this year but head & shoulders above every other front rower. The guy made as many metres on his own as the entire Leeds pack a few weeks ago and yet performances like this barely get recognised in the mos scoring.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

On 24/09/2021 at 20:24, MZH said:

I wouldn't go for Prior personally although he has been really good this year, but I agree with your assessment of the system. A player like Prior could be exceptional week in week out and probably wouldn't even get a mention. Perhaps a barnstorming Walmsley type might get a look in. But the proper engine room players just don't get the recognition in this system.

That was no more typified than the game in Thursday, it was dull and dour but unquestionably hard down the middle with the forwards running on air near the end with all the effort put in and a winger Ash Handley gets MOM, wasn't it selected by an Our League poll?

Archived