It's not been said much this season, perhaps after today it will be, but Hamilton has really been making a lot more mistakes this season than before. I know Wolff has been downplaying stuff but it's really noticeable that the pressure seems to be getting to him. Hopefully he can start to put this sort of stuff behind him otherwise Verstappen is going to end up winning this thing.

Anyway, absolutely delighted that my favourite driver got his first pole today. How can you not like Lando Norris?

Hamilton breaks another record this weekend. Unquestionably the world's greatest,  but even his reign has to come to an end sometime. Looks like that is starting to happen but he is not going to give up his crown willingly. He'll go down fighting Verstappen to the very end.

Not interested in F1, but I thought some of you would enjoy this. NSFW,

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 hours ago, Charlie RL said:

Missed having no F! this week.  Ordinarily i am ambivalent but find this year the competition is compelling and nip/tuck.  Hope its on next week and i guess 5 or 6 races left?

7 races left starting with Turkey this weekend then every 2 weeks apart for USA, Mexico & Brazil until they get to Qatar on Nov 19th. It's a very inspiring triple header of Qatar, Saudi and UAE to close out the season.

Assuming no DNFs for either Max or Lewis, Max will slowly creep ahead and win the drivers championship and Merc will take the constructors.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

That was one of the all-time best F1 performances by Hamilton, spread over the entire weekend.

He was best by a mile on Friday.

Got that stripped off him and sent to the back of the grid.

Worked from back of the grid to fifth on Saturday.

Got dropped another five places for the race.

Worked from tenth to first today.

And managed, albeit by the skin of his teeth, to avoid being taken out by Verstappen who was clearly intent on doing just that when he overtook him first time. GOAT indeed.

Edited by M j M
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

Max is evidently the emperor in waiting. Lewis isn't going to disappear quietly and I have followed his title winning run since before his 1st title in Brazil when Massa crossed the line in 1st position.  To see him get the 8th world title would be a unique moment in sport, and if he does it , it will be well deserved. Red Bull are on the cusp of their own winning run again, but with George Russell joining Hamilton we may see a great 5 year tussle between 2 determined teams. Ferrari have 2 upcomomg drivers in Sainz and Leclerc and if Mclaren can give Norris a good car we will some enteraining racing to watch. 

I get the sense from Red Bull that they have thrown a lot into this year. Uber Honda Engine, fully developed and developing car, the cut on Mercedes' aero performance etc. I get the sense that if they don't win this year, I'm not so confident they will be automatically at th front from 2022 onwards given how they have taken time to respond to rule changes in 2014 and 2017.

Mercedes on the other had seem to have been far more willing to sacrifice development this year for development of the car for the next decade.

Russell, Leclerc, Verstappen and Norris all in capable machinery will be very interesting.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, M j M said:

Is this the most controversial race in F1 history? 

Did something actually happen?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just waiting on steward decisions now.

Don't think i've ever been as tense for a non-Rugby League sporting event as during that period of starts, restarts, red flags, collisions and confusion.

Truly dramatic stuff, the most epic sporting contest of the year by a mile - you couldn't make up what's happened this season. To go into the final race exactly tied on points is unbelievable really.

• Like 1