Amazing seeing it again, the message from race control specifically says only the cars between Hamilton and Verstappen need to unlap themselves. The actual rule says all cars or no cars.

To only choose the ones required for Verstappen to win is genuinely corrupt.

• Like 1

So here's the thing which will take it to court.

The cars between Hamilton and Verstappen were Norris, Alonso, Ocon, Leclerc and Vettel.

The only cars the race director chose to remove from the equation were Norris, Alonso, Ocon, Leclerc and Vettel. Apparently because following the rules (all cars must do it) would have taken too long and wouldn't have given a grandstand finish.

That's putting your hand on the scales to a grotesque degree.

lappedcars.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, M j M said:

So here's the thing which will take it to court.

The cars between Hamilton and Verstappen were Norris, Alonso, Ocon, Leclerc and Vettel.

The only cars the race director chose to remove from the equation were Norris, Alonso, Ocon, Leclerc and Vettel. Apparently because following the rules (all cars must do it) would have taken too long and wouldn't have given a grandstand finish.

That's putting your hand on the scales to a grotesque degree.

lappedcars.jpg

Totally agree looks like the race director was bullied by Horner here. Maybe in future team principles should not be in direct contact with the race control during the race. Having said all this Mercedes will appeal and they certainly have a great case as allowing just the cars between Hamilton and Verstappen to get out of the way is unprecedented. I don’t think they will win though as the FIA always back the strewards. 

50 minutes ago, M j M said:

The actual rule says all cars or no cars.

The thing you will find FIA will defend is, does the rule say only some cars can’t pass?

“All cars” could be defined as “all cars between the top 2”

Considering what an absolute A-Grade flog Lewis is, I am pleased with the current result. Might change though.

im more surprised why Merc are not challenging Max weaving more than once on the straight whilst Lewis was prime for an overtaking manoeuvre. That usually comes with a minimum 5 sec time penalty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Great credit to Hamilton for his gracious and sporting acknowledgement and  comments when interviews at the end of the race. 

No rugby league style blaming of the ref.

He'll be back fighting next season.

He is a false PR robot. I don’t believe he is truly gracious at all.

• Like 1

Very disappointing end to the F1 season with Christian Horner of Red Bull clearly influencing the stewards decisions at the end of the race - the TV broadcast captured it beyond doubt.

I feel that while there’s an obvious need for communication between teams and stewards for reasons of safety and race management, it is clearly being abused for the purposes of manipulation.

I know some will argue this kind of ‘lobbying’ is part of the sport but I feel it does not do it justice and today’s farce proves this.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

Seem to be a few things going on that, if they happened in our game, would have people saying 'only in RL'.

• Like 5

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

22 minutes ago, CornwallRL said:

I am more confused as to why Mercedes chose George Russell over Lando Norris as their #2 driver for 2022, Lando is a much more talented driver.

Given Russell's performance last year when Lewis was Covid , it is easily understood 

• Like 1

I think the idea of letting the season finish as a race is fine, but that didn't happen.  As soon as you decide it was a 1 lap sprint, the race was over.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

27 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I think the idea of letting the season finish as a race is fine, but that didn't happen.  As soon as you decide it was a 1 lap sprint, the race was over.  

The appeal decision basically says, "the race director can do what he likes" thus Mercedes' appeal fails.

This is a totally impossible, amateurish way for a multi-billion pound sport to be run, not to mention the millions gambled on it. To say the race director can chuck out all the rules to ensure a grandstand finish is astonishing.

Edited by M j M
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, M j M said:

Imagine being the chief sports reporter for The Times and basically saying it's great that F1 is now basically WWE and that ignoring the rules is good because excitement.

Imagine being a F1 journalist and having had to hype the previous umpteen years of tedium as the most thrilling show on earth every single round.

This contrived result (with its accompanying scripted-reality documentary series on Netflix) might be a refreshing change.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Imagine being a F1 journalist and having had to hype the previous umpteen years of tedium as the most thrilling show on earth every single round.

This contrived result (with its accompanying scripted-reality documentary series on Netflix) might be a refreshing change.

Oh so let’s just throw the rule book out of the window for the sake of entertainment and a new winner then?

Next year Saints win the league by 8 points but because they’ve won loads before and that’s boring we’re actually gonna award Hull KR 36 points if they win their last game cause EnTeRtAiNmEnT

Edited by YCKonstantine
  • Like 2

Genuinely not sure how to go on with the sport now. I've watched so much of this season and to see it decided in an almost corrupt way is really heart breaking.

How can anyone justify investing so much time into watching something which can be rigged at the whim of the race director?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YCKonstantine said:

Oh so let’s just throw the rule book out of the window for the sake of entertainment and a new winner then?

Next year Saints win the league by 8 points but because they’ve won loads before and that’s boring we’re actually gonna award Hull KR 36 points if they win their last game cause EnTeRtAiNmEnT

Ever since the move to ITV, with the well-remunerated insinuations of Martin Brundle and the relentless high-pitched whining of Ron Dennis, British F1 coverage has been weighed down with a tedious baggage of jingoistic favouritism. 

So now I take my motor-racing action in two-wheeled form, and F1 can cosy up to as many oppressive regimes and move into the "Sports Entertainment" world as much as they like. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

30 minutes ago, M j M said:

The appeal decision basically says, "the race director can do what he likes" thus Mercedes' appeal fails.

This is a totally impossible, amateurish way for a multi-billion pound sport to be run, not to mention the millions gambled on it. To say the race director can chuck out all the rules to ensure a grandstand finish is astonishing.

Referee's, Umpire's,Judges make decisions all the time in every sport , many are wrong 

What exactly do you suggest happens if Mercedes had won / do win ? 

2 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Seem to be a few things going on that, if they happened in our game, would have people saying 'only in RL'.

In truth F1 is suffering from the same issues Pro RL is ATM , that being that the combatants ( players/ cars ) are now too big to fit on the field/track , and too developed , so bring it back to where it was 

Manual stick shift boxes with a clutch , a single plane wing front and back , no hybrid or DRS , massive reduction in the size of the cars , no adjustement of anything on the car from the pit wall 

Edited by GUBRATS

24 minutes ago, YCKonstantine said:

Quite like the sound of this.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Manual stick shift boxes with a clutch , a single plane wing front and back , no hybrid or DRS , massive reduction in the size of the cars , no adjustement of anything on the car from the pit wall 

Right, so just like in RL the only ideas anyone has is to turn the clock back 50 years and run off nostalgia.