Ryder Cup Thread

A thread for the Ryder Cup starting Friday 24th September. I'm not a big golf enthusiast but will watch the big tournaments, The Open, Masters and of course the Ryder Cup. Always enjoy Sunday's singles matches and will dip in and out of the first two days. For me it's all about getting the upper hand over those Yanks. I fear a bit for the European team, it's made up of old stagers and rookies,  the US team I recognise most of the players and it's looking strong.

2021 Ryder Cup teams

*denotes captain’s pick.

• Jon Rahm
  • Rory McIlroy
  • Viktor Hovland
  • Tommy Fleetwood
  • Tyrrell Hatton
  • Bernd Wiesberger
  • Matt Fitzpatrick
  • Lee Westwood
  • Paul Casey
  • Sergio Garcia*
  • Ian Poulter*
  • Shane Lowry*

Team USA

• Collin Morikawa
  • Dustin Johnson
  • Bryson DeChambeau
  • Patrick Cantlay
  • Brooks Koepka
  • Justin Thomas
  • Daniel Berger*
  • Jordan Spieth*
  • Xander Schauffele*
  • Tony Finau*
  • Harris English*
  • Scottie Scheffler*

I find it interesting that Stricker wanted a huge 6 captains picks . They’re meant to have the strongest , deepest tour but he evidently doesn’t want to rely on its merit by ranking all that much . They always seem to have all-star teams on paper , the last was ‘ the best ever ‘ , but we seem to gel as a team more and raise our game collectively . I think our team on paper looks very good and I don’t think their team looks bullet proof by any means . Experience is important in Ryder Cup so we look strong there , but over there it’s a real bear pit atmosphere and it’ll be hostile so we’ll see how they handle that . I’d like to see us start well as they could get on a bit of a wave with the crowd behind them . I don’t know how it’ll go but I hope we do it , nowt better than shutting them up on their own turf 

On 24/09/2021 at 09:11, HawkMan said:

First match pairings revealed. No Koepka and DeChambeau team, pity. McIlroy and Poulter as expected team up, will be happy with 2-2 after the opening round.

Ryder Cup

You wouldn’t want to partner DeChambeau in foursomes. Whereas he’s perfect for four balls as he’d always have a back up. 

Pretty awful day one, Europe need at least 5pts on day two IMO or else Sunday could be an anticlimax. McIlroy a major disappointment and why Poulter is in the team is anyone's guess. 

Ryder Cup current scoreFriday fourballs final scoresFriday foursomes final scores

Archived