NRL Match Thread - Finals - Week 3 - 2021

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suli again proves to be the main outlet for Manly's attack, as he puts Garrick in for another try.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

South’s getting all the luck

In the first half almost every break went the way of Souths. And the consequence of maybe no more than half a dozen bits of good fortune was 22-0. The type of score some might classify as a "blowout". If anything, Manly looked the more dangerous in attack.

A game like this ought to serve as admonishment against jumping to simplistic conclusions purely from statistics.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Absurd decision.

I disagree. The runner was in motion, initiated the contact, and took the defender out.

The NRL should look at why this happens though. The runner keeps going because he`s trying to get through the line. If he stops before the line, the current interpretation will penalize him for obstruction, even though the defender initiates the contact.

It would be better for the game if the obstruction rule distinguished between a runner in motion and one who is static at the point of contact, thus placing responsibility on the defender to adjust. They could start by removing the gratuitous injunction against "running behind your own player".

Score Summary

C. Walker 13, A. Johnston 22, C. Walker 29, J. Paulo 38, C. Graham 51, J. Paulo 61, A. Johnston 80 Tries R. Garrick 44, T. Trbojevic 74, R. Garrick 78
B. Taaffe 14, B. Taaffe 24, B. Taaffe 31, B. Taaffe 53 Conversions R. Garrick 46, R. Garrick 78
  Sin Bin J. Aloiai 68

Panthers team news:

Moses Leota was ruled out for the Panthers with a calf injury 24 hours before kick-of. Liam Martin takes his spot in the front row. Spencer Leniu shifts onto the bench. Panthers winger Brian To’o is pushing hard for inclusion as he bids to overcome an ankle injury in time to face the Storm, despite being named in jersey No.21. “He’s done well and looks really good,” coach Ivan Cleary said of To’o on Friday. “He’s looks completely different,” Cleary added, explaining that To’o put his hand up to play last week but was overruled by the club. If To’o is declared fit Brent Naden would likely be the unlucky player to miss out. Tyrone May (knee) is set to return from a long lay-off to bolster the utility role on the bench. Viliame Kikau (ankle) is also tipped to overcome his injury to take his place with Cleary saying he “looks good too”.

Storm team news:

Superstar winger Josh Addo-Carr is set to play after it was revealed he is at 95 per cent in his bid to return from a hamstring injury in time to take on the Panthers. Hooker Brandon Smith will start at hooker after being cleared of a facial fracture from a head clash against Manly. Aaron Pene and Chris Lewis dropped out of the matchday squad 24 hours before kick-off.

Preview

In a repeat of last season’s NRL Grand Final, reigning premiers Melbourne Storm will take on Penrith Panthers with the winners advancing to the final once again. The Panthers come into this on the back of an energy-sapping win over rivals Parramatta Eels and it remains to be seen how much that effort has taken out of them. A refreshed Melbourne will relish this contest and look to play at a high intensity from the first whistle. The Storm boast the best attack in the competition and while the Panthers are strong defensively, they have had issues with the ball in recent matches. To beat the Storm, they will have to be good on both sides of the ball but it is hard to overlook the minor premiers on the back of a week off and they can move a step closer to defending their title. 

I’m pleased for Souths , they’ve hit top form at the right time and after three near misses finally make the big day again . Ten grand finals at four different clubs for Bennett really is an incredible achievement . Cody Walker was excellent again and is central to their hopes , whoever they play im rooting for them next week .

14 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Wayne Bennett progresses to his 10th Grand Final.

Over 10 years since he last won one! (2010)

Pre season a thread on here showed betting for 2021 GF champions had Souths and Penrith at the top as favourites. I commented that neither would win it. Will be at least half right!

So once again, I have groceries due halfway through the first half or as late as the 80-minute mark. It's because of the lockdowns. The number of available delivery slots is much shorter. (And I screwed up the start time of this game) Also seems a bit unfair when my suburb is the most vaxxed place in Australia - 90+% double-jabbed - but the truck is probably coming from the other side of Windsor Road in the Parramatta League area where it's just an endless, un-vaxxed, post-apocalyptic hell-hole, with scavengers roaming the streets, preying on the weak and the slow.

Archived