SKY v FOX

newbe

5 minutes ago, newbe said:

Watching the build up of the play off's in NRL, you can see a vast difference between the two networks. They really try to tell a story in a few minutes. Puts SKY to shame.

Nothing todo with the budget for the 2 RL shows then??

Compair Aussie TV Football coverage to the Premier League??

5 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Nothing todo with the budget for the 2 RL shows then??

Compair Aussie TV Football coverage to the Premier League??

Yep this pretty much. Fox gets huge ratings from RL and is one of its premier offerings. It treats it accordingly. Sky has pretty much placed all its chips on football and the rest is fleshing out a range of sport for football fans and general sport subscribers.

Despite production values a lot of it just falls down to whether you like the presenters and commentators. 

In general I do like the Fox teams but in the game this morning all they could talk about for the first 20 minutes was why Adam Reynolds wasn't kicking in general play.

It was the same thing over and over again. If the team Sky had done this, they would have been ripped to pieces on here.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Mark S said:

Sky getting rid of Baz ‘n Tez would make a huge difference in the quality. Go back to having a commentator and one summariser, preferably one that can string sentence together and doesn’t have an orgasm over every single Leeds player.

After last nights fare I'll think it was Wigan they were orgasming over. Clarke and Wells were so biased beyond belief. Need to get shut of the Wigan saints love in thats every game.

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

I imagine there are more than 200,000 people watching in Australia. 

Not sure if yours was a rhetorical question, but that game tonight would have had over 700 000 on Foxtel, STB and streaming.

Comapre and contrast   the Souths V Manly NRL game this morning and the Wigan v Leeds game last night.

It's not just about the presenters, though the Aus style is much more dynamic.

Its not just about the presentation: camera angles etc.

Inside the ground and on the pitch, the whole NRL game was more of an event, more of a game and many many more spectators. 

\What is happening that we dont see: promotion, media build up, etc etc etc. 

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Despite production values a lot of it just falls down to whether you like the presenters and commentators. 

In general I do like the Fox teams but in the game this morning all they could talk about for the first 20 minutes was why Adam Reynolds wasn't kicking in general play.

It was the same thing over and over again. If the team Sky had done this, they would have been ripped to pieces on here.

Yes, I personally find the Aussie pundits a real turnoff. The whole 'boys club' banter and nonsense is terrible, and in part that is why I dislike Baz and Tez as pundits. 

Sky are frustrating but it is basically Baz and Tez who are terrible and Clarke sometimes gets weird, but I quite like the pre-match stuff as they have started to have more varied guests over the last 18m and that's working well for them imo. 

20 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Comapre and contrast   the Souths V Manly NRL game this morning and the Wigan v Leeds game last night.

It's not just about the presenters, though the Aus style is much more dynamic.

Its not just about the presentation: camera angles etc.

Inside the ground and on the pitch, the whole NRL game was more of an event, more of a game and many many more spectators. 

\What is happening that we dont see: promotion, media build up, etc etc etc. 

If we had 700k people watching on tv Sky would do that too. 

2 hours ago, Hugh Jarce said:

Or employing the chuckle brothers! 

It’s not just them. Besides, every sport will have commentators/pundits who some people find irritating/mildly embarrassing and others rate (though I suspect vanishingly few RL fans rate Terry O’Connor).

When the restructure is implemented, I’d like to see a cull of 1990s Wigan players in the Sky team, with more intelligent in-game analysis, a new lead commentator to replace dreary Bill Arthur, no Carpe Diem try music, and sharper editing of camera angles. Not much to ask, really. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

If we had 700k people watching on tv Sky would do that too. 

They might do some of that, that's for sure.  👍

Its a bit "chicken and egg", though, But they don't dictate what the clubs do to make a game attractive to spectators, building a buzz aroubd a particular game that the broadcasters can build their coverage on.

4 hours ago, Mark S said:

doesn’t have an orgasm over every single Leeds player.

2 hours ago, Loiner said:

think it was Wigan they were orgasming over

No wonder the players looked off their game , must have been distracting 

Think it would help if they got new/younger co commentators and pre match summarises. BBC seem to have gone down that route, except Cup final day. Plenty  of players retiring  if they had some media training new young talent with up to date view's on how the game is played.

13 hours ago, newbe said:

Watching the build up of the play off's in NRL, you can see a vast difference between the two networks. They really try to tell a story in a few minutes. Puts SKY to shame.

They struggle at football,netball. Where as we strive.

Archived