Premier Sports TV deal

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think whether or not this is good or bad depends on whether it involves significant finance that helps support the lower leagues. I think last time they just covered production costs?

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

39 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

I think whether or not this is good or bad depends on whether it involves significant finance that helps support the lower leagues. I think last time they just covered production costs?

I don't think Premier Sports and "significant finance" often appear in the same sentence. But regular broadcast exposure could help the leagues and the clubs attract more sponsorship.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Would this make people subscribe ? 

Don’t need to, chief. It’s on Freeview (channel 64).

Haven’t watched for a few years but they have definitely upped their game since last time I looked.

They have live La Liga, Major League Soccer and Top 14 French yawn among others. Last time it seemed to be a lot of student sport and Polish speedway.

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Yes, chief DI, chief. Just flicked through. You may need to retune if it’s not there. 

Thank you for addressing me by my proper title. I do believe though you're looking at FreeSports and not Premier Sports.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 minute ago, RS50 said:

Freesports and Premier sports are part of same group, but only 1 channel is free to watch.

Yes, hence the confusion (probably!)

Subscriptions for Monday night Champ games might sell reasonably well but seems doubtful that it would make up for the likely hit to gates. 

As always with these things, the devil is in the detail

The key question being: 'Is there money on the table for the clubs?' Or are we giving away the coverage in return for 'exposure' with Premier basically only covering the costs?

My recollection from last time was that they didn't actually pay anything to the clubs. The games were on Thursdays back then, and the coverage was pretty decent. 

It's currently £12.99 per month, which is quite a lot if the weekly RL game is the only thing you want to watch. 

3 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

As always with these things, the devil is in the detail

The key question being: 'Is there money on the table for the clubs?' Or are we giving away the coverage in return for 'exposure' with Premier basically only covering the costs?

My recollection from last time was that they didn't actually pay anything to the clubs. The games were on Thursdays back then, and the coverage was pretty decent. 

It's currently £12.99 per month, which is quite a lot if the weekly RL game is the only thing you want to watch. 

I subscribed when they had Wolfpack games on there. Think they also showed NRL and they had other stuff like British ice hockey which was OK. I think they usually have offers for 6 and 12 month subscriptions so a lot cheaper than monthly

18 minutes ago, RS50 said:

Freesports and Premier sports are part of same group, but only 1 channel is free to watch.

Freesports is a mix of content from various small subscription channels. They may show RL on Mondays, but we probably won't know 'til much closer to the first broadcast date.

As a "new" addition to Premier's roster, RL will probably be on PS only at first, to drive subscription take-up from fans.

There's the Championship and C1 clubs' fans (plus the people who say "$ooper Dooper Greed" a lot), who may switch away from Sky entirely. And general RL fans who'll keep Sky, but shell out for a bit more TGG on their screens.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Absolutely brill! I love a bit of Nascar. And they do some NHL games too. I also believe they do the French union league which, even if you dont like union, you must admit has the best rugby players in it outside the NRL. 

So I'll be signing up if Barrow and other matches are on.. 

Just now, thebrewxi said:

This covid thing is a nightmare on the brain. I cant believe how much it seems to f%$# up the grey matter for a couple of weeks. 

It’s not Covid (I’ve had a few tests). It’s a cold. Had it about a week and slowly going but it’s unusual that it’s quite energy sapping rather than just snotty. 

Just now, Man of Kent said:

It’s not Covid (I’ve had a few tests). It’s a cold. Had it about a week and slowly going but it’s unusual that it’s quite energy sapping rather than just snotty. 

Mate,  get tested again. I had 2 pcrs come back negative and the 3rd positive, all I had to start with was a headache and a sniffle.

Hopefully you've just got a cold, but I remember some of them were pretty bad in the old days too (pre covid, I'm struggling to remember).

I'm just coming out the back of a covid though; double jabbed, 42,  pretty healthy, and it destroyed me and wife for over a week. So take care Kent Man, and everyone!

Archived