Premier Sports TV deal

10 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

Mate,  get tested again. I had 2 pcrs come back negative and the 3rd positive, all I had to start with was a headache and a sniffle.

Hopefully you've just got a cold, but I remember some of them were pretty bad in the old days too (pre covid, I'm struggling to remember).

I'm just coming out the back of a covid though; double jabbed, 42,  pretty healthy, and it destroyed me and wife for over a week. So take care Kent Man, and everyone!

Sorry to hear that. 

Thanks for your kind words.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I don't think Premier Sports and "significant finance" often appear in the same sentence. But regular broadcast exposure could help the leagues and the clubs attract more sponsorship.

I think that was the theory last time …

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

2 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I'm delighted if this means Championship/L1 RL is going to be shown regularly, but the fact that they're suggesting Monday evenings suggests that one group of people not involved in the decision was the players.

The sport does capitulate too much on tv slots. Sunday evening would have been much better

18 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I'm delighted if this means Championship/L1 RL is going to be shown regularly, but the fact that they're targeting Monday evenings suggests that one group of people not involved in the decision was the players.

15 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The sport does capitulate too much on tv slots. Sunday evening would have been much better

Do the broadcaster have an available slot elsewhere? With the URC (SA/Wales/Scottish/Irish/italian RU) and everything else they'll probably have a full weekend calendar already if they choose. Championship RL doesn't have the clout to demand a prime slot, or at least it hasn't proven it has.

As for consulting the players, ultimately this is the problem with part time leagues acting like full time comps. Either you act like full timers and get on with it, or you are part timers and accept the ceiling on that.

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Do the broadcaster have an available slot elsewhere? With the URC (SA/Wales/Scottish/Irish/italian RU) and everything else they'll probably have a full weekend calendar already if they choose. Championship RL doesn't have the clout to demand a prime slot, or at least it hasn't proven it has.

I don’t think anybody in RL has clout. Do you really think SL asked for Thursday night games? 

22 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I don’t think anybody in RL has clout. Do you really think SL asked for Thursday night games? 

No, they asked for Sky money and said what are the terms. Though I believe the new deal has had a bit more clout - all games televised standard, more main event slots etc.

But complaining about a TV company showing a comp like the Championship independent of the top level (domestic or international) and putting them in a non weekend slot seems a bit much.

18 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

No, they asked for Sky money and said what are the terms. Though I believe the new deal has had a bit more clout - all games televised standard, more main event slots etc.

But complaining about a TV company showing a comp like the Championship independent of the top level (domestic or international) and putting them in a non weekend slot seems a bit much.

I’m not complaining about the TV station they’ll do what suits them

No doubt that Premier Sports has improved alot since the championship was last on.

I personally think that it should also be streamed on Our League as well.

I spent 4/5 years working at various rugby union championship matches until SKY dumped it last year (They still I think do not have a deal rugby was painful at times however met some nice people Richmond especially) so the fact that it looks as if there is a possible deal for us is good news.

Paul

27 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I personally think that it should also be streamed on Our League as well.

In the press release, it said "it would go alongside streaming coverage on OurLeague". I doubt a subscription service looking for new sign-ups would allow a simulcast of the same game, so maybe this means PS matches would be additional to OurLeague streams of other fixtures.

Whether those OurLeague games would be PPV or free, who knows?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think it is positive they have returned to RL. I am interested to see how this works with potential restructuring. I personally don't mind the idea of a game on a Monday night although I would image that overall attendance will suffer (particularly for away fans). As to whether I would subscribe, probably if production values were ok (and better than they were when they last were involved).

Lets say Leigh are to play Fev in a sunday 3pm non televised game next season with both teams up near the top, if not a top2 fixture. Corporate would be packed ie 20 exec boxes, sponsorship would be fully taken and dining room would have 200 in generating £40-50k, one would hope dependent on time of season a 4/5k gate and local pubs and on site beer/catering doing well.

Fast forward that to a monday evening and that income would conservatively drop by £40k and probably more.

If we have a deal that compensates the clubs for the losses and limits games that can be shown to 1 per season at home plus 1 away by lets say £50k per club then lt works, or indeed pay £50k per game shown to the home club.

If this is a fekk all deal then burn the paper its on unless its a major channel

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

All sports play when TV tells them

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I think this is a challenging one to make work. Sometimes we need to be careful of vanity projects, and there is something of a risk here. 

There is a risk of this costing the sport money, so we need to look to use the TV coverage to drive income - but whether the low figures Premier delivers is enough to drive increased commercial income is to be seen. 

Ultimately the end outcome has to be more money - whether that is through raised profile, more eyeballs etc. but if this is a cost to the game, what is the point? 

Surely we know from the last time Premier had it whether it drove more income? 

50 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Lets say Leigh are to play Fev in a sunday 3pm non televised game next season with both teams up near the top, if not a top2 fixture. Corporate would be packed ie 20 exec boxes, sponsorship would be fully taken and dining room would have 200 in generating £40-50k, one would hope dependent on time of season a 4/5k gate and local pubs and on site beer/catering doing well.

Fast forward that to a monday evening and that income would conservatively drop by £40k and probably more.

If we have a deal that compensates the clubs for the losses and limits games that can be shown to 1 per season at home plus 1 away by lets say £50k per club then lt works, or indeed pay £50k per game shown to the home club.

If this is a fekk all deal then burn the paper its on unless its a major channel

I enjoy your posts SC.

In reality 20 boxes of 10 around 10000 (However most  boxes would be taken for the season)

Based on average championship price 200 persons another 10000

I would say that boxes would be taken anyway and VIP might drop by 50% in reality we are talking around 5K losses + any away fans not attending.

Paul

10 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I enjoy your posts SC.

In reality 20 boxes of 10 around 10000 (However most  boxes would be taken for the season)

Based on average championship price 200 persons another 10000

I would say that boxes would be taken anyway and VIP might drop by 50% in reality we are talking around 5K losses + any away fans not attending.

Paul

I enjoy your reasoning, it brightens up a cloudy day. 

Historically about 50% of boxes are for season and are at about £1k average, higher for some and lower for others - 10k loss

100 diners lost would be about 6k

Main match sponsors reduced by £5k

Plus gate drop by 1000-1500 plus secondary spends will be 40-50k in total

plus ###### off fans who have had their day taken away = immeasurable.

This needs filling from the deal otherwise you are expecting clubs whose central funding has been decimated losing even more

6 minutes ago, RS50 said:

Monday night for the players with a Monday to Friday 9 to 5 job? Ok for say, Batley v Dewsbury, but what about Whitehaven v London?

I guess you just wouldn't televise those matches. Be hard for London to get a game on TV at home. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

20 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I guess you just wouldn't televise those matches. Be hard for London to get a game on TV at home. 

We've played midweek games up there before.   I remember going to Carlisle, Whitehaven and Barrow on Wednesday nights in a six week period one year.  Granted, they're not as common as they were when the season was in winter and there were postponements but nobody whinged about it back them.

I'm pretty sure Whitehaven had games in the Premier TV days too.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Has to be a better deal than last time or it’s not worth it. The Co-op sponsored it but as part of the deal clubs had to give 1,000 free tickets away each game. Which would be fine if it was to 1,000 new or lapsed fans but all that happened was that existing fans who would normally have paid ended up with the freebies. A lot of clubs lost money on the games getting hardly any gate income. Some clubs tried things to make it work, e.g. I recall Oldham letting everyone in for £1 at one of the TV games and got 4,000 there which sounds great but financially it’s the equivalent of 300 full paying spectators, and of course very few of those people came back and paid full price.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Archived