Premier Sports TV deal

2 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Lets say Leigh are to play Fev in a sunday 3pm non televised game next season with both teams up near the top, if not a top2 fixture. Corporate would be packed ie 20 exec boxes, sponsorship would be fully taken and dining room would have 200 in generating £40-50k, one would hope dependent on time of season a 4/5k gate and local pubs and on site beer/catering doing well.

Fast forward that to a monday evening and that income would conservatively drop by £40k and probably more.

If we have a deal that compensates the clubs for the losses and limits games that can be shown to 1 per season at home plus 1 away by lets say £50k per club then lt works, or indeed pay £50k per game shown to the home club.

If this is a fekk all deal then burn the paper its on unless its a major channel

Some good points there

We'd need to know how the games are chosen, and how much clout Premier would get in changing games at the last minute. I can imagine (in your example) Leigh being pretty miffed if that 'premium' match got switched to Monday after all the groundwork had been laid for the hospitality and corporate.

Of course, many Championship and League 1 sides don't really have corporate and/or hospitality. If Leigh and Fev got their Sunday afternoon slot, and the Monday match was Sheffield vs Dewsbury, then I don't suppose anyone has really lost out. In fact the Leigh and Fev fans get to watch an extra game on the Monday that they wouldn't see on Sunday!

AsI say, the devil will be in the detail on this....

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Some good points there

We'd need to know how the games are chosen, and how much clout Premier would get in changing games at the last minute. I can imagine (in your example) Leigh being pretty miffed if that 'premium' match got switched to Monday after all the groundwork had been laid for the hospitality and corporate.

Of course, many Championship and League 1 sides don't really have corporate and/or hospitality. If Leigh and Fev got their Sunday afternoon slot, and the Monday match was Sheffield vs Dewsbury, then I don't suppose anyone has really lost out. In fact the Leigh and Fev fans get to watch an extra game on the Monday that they wouldn't see on Sunday!

AsI say, the devil will be in the detail on this....

Last time there were Monday night fixtures (in SL) they were known well in advance and were shared out equally. Hopefully similar arrangements will Be made

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

All sports play when TV tells them

Not exactly. Football sells specific ko times as packages. The Olympics schedule their events then sell to tv 

We’ve not got the profile of either of those I know. However if we’re giving away coverage for nothing it should be to suit RL. If TV is dictating the KO then appropriate compensation should be sought

2 hours ago, Griff said:

We've played midweek games up there before.   I remember going to Carlisle, Whitehaven and Barrow on Wednesday nights in a six week period one year.  Granted, they're not as common as they were when the season was in winter and there were postponements but nobody whinged about it back them.

I'm pretty sure Whitehaven had games in the Premier TV days too.

Yep Haven did play away matches on Premier

They also played at London on a Wednesday in a non TV midweek game which involved some players catching the bus straight after a night shift; travelling; playing; travelling and then straight back to work

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Not exactly. Football sells specific ko times as packages. The Olympics schedule their events then sell to tv 

We’ve not got the profile of either of those I know. However if we’re giving away coverage for nothing it should be to suit RL. If TV is dictating the KO then appropriate compensation should be sought

The Olympics swimming finals this time around were the 'wrong' way round at the behest of NBC.

Monday Night Football only exists because Sky invented it.

Broadly, in most circumstances, sports dance to TV's tune.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 24/09/2021 at 17:57, Man of Kent said:

Monday night rugby league could become a regular fixture as part of a new TV deal for Championship and League 1.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/championship-league-1-tv-deal-21671692

I'd pay for any Champ/League 1 coverage that comes out as I suspect would a lot of us here 

The more coverage the better for me

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

Those kick off times are in the main to suit TV. 

I think too many people look at the negatives. There are enough teams to spread out the Monday night games fairly. Corporate can still operate and is often popular as an after work event. If clubs know well in advance when their TV game is they can go all out to promote it and make it an event. Maybe involve local schools in the entertainment at halftime and having kids playing pregame. If clubs and make the championship look like a vibrant product on tv it will help their chance so of getting a bigger deal next time.

1 hour ago, cookey said:

The usual negativity one expects on here.

Premier Sports now show both the newly revamped United Rugby Championship and the French Top 14. Both of these used to be on Sky Sports and/or BT Sport.

And now available to an audience much smaller.

The sport has built a platform (OuRLeague), and has the infrastructure available to stream on YouTube etc, to the possibility of a much larger audience.

If the money isn't there, why bother with a TV deal on a tiny channel?

7 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

And now available to an audience much smaller.

The sport has built a platform (OuRLeague), and has the infrastructure available to stream on YouTube etc, to the possibility of a much larger audience.

If the money isn't there, why bother with a TV deal on a tiny channel?

If the audience sizes are similar, I'd much rather pay £13pm to OurLeague than to Premier Sports, at least I know where all the profits are going.

Archived