New 9s comp to kick off Elite 1 season

The French showing the way forward?

‘New, this year for the Elite 1 championship! It will be preceded by a rugby 9-a-side circuit before the start of the competition (which starts on Saturday, October 16). 

‘The next two weekends the nine Elite teams will meet on six different arenas. Thus, Villeneuve-Sur-Lot, Carcassonne & Avignon will respectively welcome their opponents of the day on the weekend of October 2 and 3. And Saint-Gaudens, Saint-Estève XIII Catalan & Limoux the weekend of October 9 and 10.’

https://www-ffr13-fr.translate.goog/elite-1-un-circuit-de-rugby-a-9-pour-la-pre-saison/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-GB&_x_tr_pto=nui,elem

6 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Sounds a good idea, although played in late spring or end of season June sunshine alongside a womens comp might be better for attracting fans, sponsors and corporate etc.

It's 26 degrees (79F) in Villeneuve today - early October in the south of France is a bit nicer than it usually is in England 😉 

6 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

New, this year for the Elite 1 championship! It will be preceded by a rugby 9-a-side circuit before the start of the competition (which starts on Saturday, October 16). 

I`ve mentioned elsewhere when the subject of the French using 9s to spread the word has arisen that it does accentuate the flaw in concentrating your identity on the number of players in a team.

Would the average person in France be able to make sense of Rugby a Treize a Neuf ?

14 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

The French showing the way forward?

13 hours ago, barnyia said:

I don't think it will happen as the clubs only found out about it yesterday and haven't prepared for it, 

A young person may want to insert a "Hold my beer" meme from the FFRXIII to the RFL ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I`ve mentioned elsewhere when the subject of the French using 9s to spread the word has arisen that it does accentuate the flaw in concentrating your identity on the number of players in a team.

Would the average person in France be able to make sense of Rugby a Treize a Neuf ?

They can't make sense of rugby a 15 with 13 players, they understand rugby a 7 but most have never heard or seen the 13 variety. 

Archived