Entertainment value from the Play Off games

Well, I'll probably be shot down by the SL diehards but I'm going to say it anyway

I was more entertained by the two Championship Play games than by the two SL Play Off matches.

Yes, I accept the quality probably wasn't close to the level of the SL games, and - before anyone bothers to make the point - I realise that even the bottom teams in the Super League would batter the Championship teams

But, having said all that, I enjoyed watching the two games today more than the games on Friday and Thursday

Who's with me? 🥸

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Well, I'll probably be shot down by the SL diehards but I'm going to say it anyway

I was more entertained by the two Championship Play games than by the two SL Play Off matches.

Yes, I accept the quality probably wasn't close to the level of the SL games, and - before anyone bothers to make the point - I realise that even the bottom teams in the Super League would batter the Championship teams

But, having said all that, I enjoyed watching the two games today more than the games on Friday and Thursday

Who's with me? 🥸

And some of the games in the Championship during the season have been just as good

43 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Who's with me? 🥸

Certainly a lot less wrestle in the tackle and players not pretending to be hurt or diving to win penalties was refreshing.

A good game of Rugby League is a good game of Rugby League.

As I said on another thread, we have the NRL, Super League, Championship and Women's Super League games to binge on this weekend.  I don't care about the relative strengths of the leagues and who would beat who if the leagues played each other, some games will be good and some average. 

Luckily we have had some good games so far and more to come.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Who's with me? 🥸

I will go along with that Paul, throughly enjoyed both games very entertaining. 

I mainly watch SL on TV although I’ve been to Championship games before at Heywood Rd watching Swinton and at Leigh.

I don’t have the spare time or perhaps the dedication for a season ticket at any level of rugby league so will pick and choose games, events and merch while following mainly through subscription tv and magazines.

My main criticism of the set up below Super League is the competitive balance between top and bottom is too great and I really don’t want to watch a very one sided game.

But a well-matched game of rugby league is still worth the time and effort for me particularly if it has something riding on it.

14 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Who's with me? 🥸

Agree, the Championship provides some very entertaining games. The ones that aren't are the blow out games which SL get as well. When it gets to the Play Offs, the Championship games are often more watchable than the SL. When they used to have the Double Header at Old Trafford, the 2nd Division Final was regularly a better game than the Main Event.

As a neutral for all 4 playoffs, both games yesterday had me glued to the screen from start to finish whereas neither of the earlier Super League games managed that.  

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

14 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Who's with me? 🥸

I agree. Semi pro is much more entertaining to watch. SL and especially NRL, while undoubtedly having superior fitness levels and skills manages to be a bit dull and boring.

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I mainly watch SL on TV although I’ve been to Championship games before at Heywood Rd watching Swinton and at Leigh.

I don’t have the spare time or perhaps the dedication for a season ticket at any level of rugby league so will pick and choose games, events and merch while following mainly through subscription tv

I quite understand being able to watch and enjoy a game of RL, but to be on the terrace 10 yards away from Hall's score to seal the win for Batley surrounded by the braying adulation of likeminded fans is like no other feeling - we went crazy 🤪

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

I sometimes feel like people slag off SL when the team they expected or wanted to win doesn't put in a performance, and the reason they give is that the standards of the competition are just so poor now (rather than just saying the other team played better).

Whereas when this happens in another competition, there is a completely different spin on it.

NRL vs SL - standards of SL are poor, NRL must be better.

Championship vs SL - even though standards of SL are better, it's too dull.

I think there's been a perpetual state of apathy towards SL since about 2008. Prior to the, we seemed to big up the game (and the sport) a lot more as fans I felt. Everything's "sh*t" now it seems.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

51 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

I quite understand being able to watch and enjoy a game of RL, but to be on the terrace 10 yards away from Hall's score to seal the win for Batley surrounded by the braying adulation of likeminded fans is like no other feeling - we went crazy 🤪

Oh yeah, I totally understand and have experienced that many times in the past.

14 hours ago, Dunbar said:

A good game of Rugby League is a good game of Rugby League.

As I said on another thread, we have the NRL, Super League, Championship and Women's Super League games to binge on this weekend.  I don't care about the relative strengths of the leagues and who would beat who if the leagues played each other, some games will be good and some average. 

Luckily we have had some good games so far and more to come.

Even the wheelchair rugby is enjoyable.  Those bug gers throw themselves about going full tilt at each other. Very enjoyable 

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Even the wheelchair rugby is enjoyable.  Those bug gers throw themselves about going full tilt at each other. Very enjoyable 

It's all enjoyable.  The first few rounds of the Challenge Cup on the BBC Red button, the Academy games... through to the World Cup Final (if we get one!).

Yes, I will have a bit of a moan about some of the parts of Rugby League every now and again but I watch loads of it and I will continue to do so.

Yesterday was the Ryder Cup which I really enjoy but I was only getting to it after the Rugby League finished, whatever the league or comp.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It's all enjoyable.  The first few rounds of the Challenge Cup on the BBC Red button, the Academy games... through to the World Cup Final (if we get one!).

Yes, I will have a bit of a moan about some of the parts of Rugby League every now and again but I watch loads of it and I will continue to do so.

Yesterday was the Ryder Cup which I really enjoy but I was only getting to it after the Rugby League finished, whatever the league or comp.

One of the best games of rugby I ever watched was fev v cas at academy level in 03.  That game had everything. As enjoyable as tuppin the aussies wi 12 men at Wembley.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure why we have to create a division in everything we do in RL. 

I've watched 5 live games of RL this weekend and enjoyed them all. I missed the Wigan v Leeds game, it sounds like I was fortunate. 

The Leeds game was a dour affair. It happens. The rest were great.

Rant time but I hardly ever watch SL, I mean I have it on in the background but as others have said it is mainly just so dull and my thoughts on this are based on fitness levels of players been at an all time high, each team working more and more on ground wrestle which needs to be taken away from the game, and each team playing exactly the same style of rugby which just nulifies each other as it becomes pretty easy to defend against teams that are doing exactly the same moves as you are. There is very little flair in the games as each team is coached how important structure is and off the cuff stuff is at a bare minimum as coaches look to possesion stats as their main go to.

In the championship players are not as fit which leads to more mistakes but those mistakes and tiredness do lead for a lot more off the cuff type of play so although the quality is nowhere near as good as SL, the championships shortcomings are actually something that make it a decent product to watch.

13 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Rant time but I hardly ever watch SL, I mean I have it on in the background but as others have said it is mainly just so dull and my thoughts on this are based on fitness levels of players been at an all time high, each team working more and more on ground wrestle which needs to be taken away from the game, and each team playing exactly the same style of rugby which just nulifies each other as it becomes pretty easy to defend against teams that are doing exactly the same moves as you are. There is very little flair in the games as each team is coached how important structure is and off the cuff stuff is at a bare minimum as coaches look to possesion stats as their main go to.

In the championship players are not as fit which leads to more mistakes but those mistakes and tiredness do lead for a lot more off the cuff type of play so although the quality is nowhere near as good as SL, the championships shortcomings are actually something that make it a decent product to watch.

Entertaining or not you have to understand in the scheme of things you are in the minority with you views.

Looked like yesterday both crowds were in the 1-2k range meaning people aren't climbing over each other to watch the product - unfit and off the cuff and all. 

As Dave said, I just enjoy RL for what it is at whatever level.

Archived