Entertainment value from the Play Off games

8 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Rant time but I hardly ever watch SL, I mean I have it on in the background but as others have said it is mainly just so dull and my thoughts on this are based on fitness levels of players been at an all time high, each team working more and more on ground wrestle which needs to be taken away from the game, and each team playing exactly the same style of rugby which just nulifies each other as it becomes pretty easy to defend against teams that are doing exactly the same moves as you are. There is very little flair in the games as each team is coached how important structure is and off the cuff stuff is at a bare minimum as coaches look to possesion stats as their main go to.

In the championship players are not as fit which leads to more mistakes but those mistakes and tiredness do lead for a lot more off the cuff type of play so although the quality is nowhere near as good as SL, the championships shortcomings are actually something that make it a decent product to watch.

Echo everything you said mate.

I’ve said on here repeatedly that rugby (both codes) have become infinitely harder for attacking players to shine. In addition to better defensive organisation (largely via influx of RL coaches) the increased size/physicality has destroyed Union, with space now at a premium. In RL it too has better defensive tactics and then there’s the spoiling/slowing down the attacker in the play the ball routine which allows the defence to reset, so less gaps/space. 

Football has gone the opposite in that attacking players are given more licence than previous with refs clamping down on tackles...plus players now play in far better surfaces. Georgie Best in today’s era would be even better, as would any player from yesteryear. With attacking players afforded such a platform to shine more stars are created as a result. Conversely neither rugby code has had a star in decades (more precisely a decade and a half for RU), the platform on the field isn’t there. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, DC77 said:

I’ve said on here repeatedly that rugby (both codes) have become infinitely harder for attacking players to shine. In addition to better defensive organisation (largely via influx of RL coaches) the increased size/physicality has destroyed Union, with space now at a premium. In RL it too has better defensive tactics and then there’s the spoiling/slowing down the attacker in the play the ball routine which allows the defence to reset, so less gaps/space. 

You see, here is the problem with you repeatedly saying on here that it is becoming infinitely harder for attacking players to shine... it isnt actually grounded in any evidence.

I have looked at the points scored per game per team when I started watching the game in 1984/5 and subsequently in 1995, 2005 and 2015 and in every season teams were outscoring the 1985 season. 

So if, as you say, defenses have got better (which I agree with) then it stands to reason that attacking play has improved even more as teams are scoring at a better rate.

Of course there aren't as many players running through massive gaps in the defence these days and that more tries are scored through tactical kicking than in the 80's but all that means is that players have adapted their attacking skills to unlock tighter defences. Just because you don't particularly like it, it doesn't mean they aren't showcasing their skills and 'shining'.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 hours ago, Johnoco said:

So how exactly did George Best, Jimmy Greaves, Johan Cruyff, Pele et al manage to be rise to prominence if football was such a hack fest back then? Modern football fans don't half talk some nonsense, particularly by implying the old days almost were skill free. 

Pele was quite famously hacked out of the 1966 World Cup.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 hours ago, Johnoco said:

So how exactly did George Best, Jimmy Greaves, Johan Cruyff, Pele et al manage to be rise to prominence if football was such a hack fest back then? Modern football fans don't half talk some nonsense, particularly by implying the old days almost were skill free. 

That’s not what I’m saying (I should have been clearer). Back then players were given the platform to shine, hence individuals like Best standing out. But now they’d get an even bigger platform to shine. 

The surfaces they played on were shocking, as were the tackles. Dribblers like Messi et al. now play on a carpet, and they get referee protection. George Best running through on goal in a muddy pitch (bobbles everywhere) and having to ride a “challenge” (attempted leg breaker) from Ron Harris. It was amazing balance (and goal) but the (knee) injuries he endured via challenges like this meant his career was over by 27. Pele was literally kicked out of the ‘66 World Cup in England. Maradona was assaulted by “the butcher of Bilbao”, suffered a broken ankle, while the boot used to inflict the damage was put in a glass case. 

While footballers now get a greater platform to shine, rugby players get less. Those wide open defences, gone. The quick play the ball, gone (count how long it takes for the 2 (3) big hallions to get off the grounded player). As well as better defensive organisation and spoiling, there’s the wrestle thrown into the mix. It’s infinitely harder for attacking players (who make up the vast majority of potential stars) to really stand out. 

On 26/09/2021 at 11:50, Dave T said:

I'm not sure why we have to create a division in everything we do in RL. 

I've watched 5 live games of RL this weekend and enjoyed them all. I missed the Wigan v Leeds game, it sounds like I was fortunate. 

many say the wigan v Leeds game was poor but I attended and the time went really quick watching it - unlike a boring game which drags. Plus I've seen Leeds play similar when they had their all conquering GF machine, yet didn't get so heavily criticised for the dour play.

I'm sure wigan fans may think how poor the game was but that may be because they lost. Whereas Leeds enjoyed the game but then again winning changes one's emotions I guess.

Safe to say it probably wasn't one for neutrals. 

I can watch a Liverpool v Everton game and its can be really poor football game but the 50,000 at the game and the many many fans with a vested interest watching on TV won't be bothered as whatever the standard it will have kept them interested and wanting to attend next time. 

Why not just say how good the play off games on Saturday were? 

Why take a swipe at SL.

If you follow one league over the other theres unconscious bias.

For me it was refreshing to see different players kits grounds etc..

There is too much of playing the same teams at the top level and that is what the RFL / SL are pretending to ignore. 

Archived