Thu 30th Sept : SL play off SF : Catalans Dragons v Hull Kingston Rovers KO 19:45 Sky TV

Who will win?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Hull Kingston Rovers

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Catalans will have huge support from Northern RL fans next weekend, but still RL fans get slated as backward and insular. 

Everybody needs a straw man.

You'll the same when/if Fev win the Championship.

"Oh, all those people who said we brought nothing to the game ..."

Nah. That's a few voices taking the mick online. Don't mistake it for most people's opinion because, and this will shock you, most people are fickle and don't really care.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Well done Catalans, another new team at Old Trafford, hopefully they can go one better than my team next week! 

Can we please give up with this boring "oh but I thought you said Catalans offer nothing to the game" nonsense - where people saying it are often saying it in response to nobody actually saying that. 

Catalans will have huge support from Northern RL fans next weekend, but still RL fans get slated as backward and insular. 

Also, think about the Catalans fans who would have travelled and probably now can't due to Covid and stuff. It is the biggest day in the club's history and I sure they would have had their biggest ever UK support in normal circumstances. There were over 10k there last night.

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

When Catalans walk out at Old Trafford in eight days time, I would have though the only RL fans not cheering them on will be the respective supporters of whichever team wins the second SF tonight.

Oh, and maybe a few small minded "traditionalists".

A new name reaching the Final is great news for our sport.

A French team winning it would be the greatest thing to happen to our sport since Les Cats won the RL Challenge Cup.

I simply cannot understand the mindset of anyone who might think otherwise.

Totally agree. If my team weren’t still in the competition then I would be rooting for Catalans as I would have Salford a few years back.

Obviously I, like all fans, want my own team to be crowned champions again but the sport is crying out for a new name in lights.

I have good friends in Perpignan after some great visits over the years. Proper Rugby League area. Even the traditionalists should find reason to get behind them!

If my team has the good fortune to make Old Trafford then I will of course be backing them all the way, I would just be less upset than normal if they lost. 
It’s some journey Catalans have been on, there are great tales in there if the press are informed and interested - successful expansion club, passionate fans, the young French lads, the stars from around the world who clearly love life there, James Maloney’s Grand Final record. I also really like Steve McNamara’s story. He’s took a lot of stick over the years but he is the only coach of a non English side to win the Challenge Cup and League Leaders shield and is now just 80 minutes away from adding a Grand Final to that. Win or lose I think people should be affording him a bit more respect now 👏

9 hours ago, RayCee said:

That would be nice. The media in France may then start to acknowledge the game and give it reasonable coverage.  

Yesterday september 30 in L'EQUIPE the national sports paper, 2 full pages before the match... Incredible but true ! Never seen for 50 or 60 years !

Great game that, thoroughly enjoyed it and great to see Catalans get to the final, though it would have been equally as good to see KR there. Hull KR are my team of the season in SL, love watching them as a complete neutral. With a few canny additions they will hopefully be as good to watch next season if not better.

It's going to be difficult to get over for most fans, not many direct flights except from Barcelona, most direct flights from anywhere else mean long stays in the UK, the 2nd day test is complicated too for us wanting to travel, even if you only stay one day you have to book and pay for a test even if you don't take the test 

2 hours ago, dkw said:

Great game that, thoroughly enjoyed it and great to see Catalans get to the final, though it would have been equally as good to see KR there. Hull KR are my team of the season in SL, love watching them as a complete neutral. With a few canny additions they will hopefully be as good to watch next season if not better.

Catalan were deserved winners and play very entertaining Rugby League and i will be supporting them in the Final.But looking back KR gifted 10 points through Dagger dropping the ball in the Red Zone.Then Abdul threw out that pass without looking and they got the interception try.Two defenders full on against the Catalan winger and they couldn't keep him out.If KR had taken the early 2 points in front of the sticks you can see the result could have been very close.Although i do think Catalan would have pulled a bit more out.Enjoyable game.

Pleased for Catalans, hope they go on to win it.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Mind you Carney in particular seem to delight in constantly reminding of the poor skill level of both teams, same as the Wigan v Leeds.

He seems to have a real downer on RL at the moment or is he part of the Sky negotiating team for the next RL/Sky deal.

1 hour ago, barnyia said:

It's going to be difficult to get over for most fans, not many direct flights except from Barcelona, most direct flights from anywhere else mean long stays in the UK, the 2nd day test is complicated too for us wanting to travel, even if you only stay one day you have to book and pay for a test even if you don't take the test 

Here, if you’ve been double jabbed, the 2 day test, on return, is by the quicker, lateral flow, not a 3rd party, so that makes it easier.  Could be the same France -UK - France?

4 hours ago, Jean de Bordeaux said:

Yesterday september 30 in L'EQUIPE the national sports paper, 2 full pages before the match... Incredible but true ! Never seen for 50 or 60 years !

Hopefully there'll be even more coverage for the final 🙂

6 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

When Catalans walk out at Old Trafford in eight days time, I would have though the only RL fans not cheering them on will be the respective supporters of whichever team wins the second SF tonight.

A French team winning it would be the greatest thing to happen to our sport since Les Cats won the RL Challenge Cup.

Well said, mate. As soon as our team's season fell apart I was hoping the Dragons would go on to be champions.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

6 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Fans can support who they want and should be able to without being called small minded traditionalists.

There isn't a correct answer about who to support. 

St Helens winning three times in a row would be great for the sport. I remember Barry Hearn saying a sport needs a dominant team fans can identify with. 

1 minute ago, Niels said:

Fans can support who they want and should be able to without being called small minded traditionalists.

St Helens winning three times in a row would be great for the sport. I remember Barry Hearn saying a sport needs a dominant team fans can identify with. 

I couldn't disagree more.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

7 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

well now I've read your comment I will support the other team... not Catalan...

I dislike anyone telling me what I should do... or that I'm a tool for not thinking the same as you...

38 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I dislike anyone telling me what I should do... or that I'm a tool for not thinking the same as you...

Well I think you should support the other team, not Catalan....

Now what you gonna do 😁

41 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I think you should definitely go fully dressed. 

1 hour ago, Niels said:

You had my backing until that last paragraph.

4 hours ago, redjonn said:

Seriously?

I haven't called you a "tool" or told you what I think you should do.

I merely commented on what I thought the mindset of the majority of RL fans would be.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

It didn't take too long...

May be an image of text

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

14 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Seriously?

I haven't called you a "tool" or told you what I think you should do.

I merely commented on what I thought the mindset of the majority of RL fans would be.

chuckle... sorry if I offended you. 

Archived