Wild Camping

24 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Anyone do it? 

Any advice? 

Buy the best sleeping bag you can afford. Compare it to a night in an expensive hotel and remember you only have to pay for it once.

Think about what you are going to take and keep it light.

Remember any fool can be uncomfortable. 

I wish I could still do it.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Too dangerous with all the grizzly bears and moose? 

😂😂😂😂

Not only them, but I struggle to even get up from the ground these days.

Old age doesn't come on its own.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

57 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Pitch up late, leave early. Leave zero trace you've been there

If only all campers followed this rule. ☹️

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

17 hours ago, shaun mc said:

Pitch up late, leave early. Leave zero trace you've been there

The golden rule (especially as in most places its technically illegal).

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

6 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The golden rule (especially as in most places its technically illegal).

Its only legal in Scotland and then in places like Loch Lomond its a camping management zone (pre-booked only)

Some of the Scottish islands were actively discouraging tourists without pre-booked places - to keep infections down

It can be done with the permission of the landowner in the remainder of the UK and I'd say the arrive late, leave early leave no trace applies, as well as camping in a discrete place

There have been too many instances where a group has turned up this summer (to various places) and treated it like a festival site

Don't wild camp (tent/bivvy/tarp)

But do use my T4 van for wild camp in a van nights away .

Robin Hoods Bay last Saturday night . Arrived 2pm ish 4 mile walk with dog and wife . Really nice pub grub in the Bay , few beers in The Laurel . Up early , away to Cayton Bay for the day .

£3 to park , great beach , great surf .£9 parking at RHB 

Like others have said leave nothing . Great cheap weekend away .

10 hours ago, Bearman said:

Never pitch your tent under a tree. If it rains, after the rain has gone every drip onto the canvas is like thunder.

Use the tree's, poncho and para cord to make your basha, job done.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

On 29/09/2021 at 13:28, shaun mc said:

Its only legal in Scotland and then in places like Loch Lomond its a camping management zone (pre-booked only)

And a fair bit of Dartmoor.

I've done it a fair bit elsewhere in the world, never quite feels right here in Britain, everywhere belongs to someone, always feel like you're going to get told to move on. I enjoy doing long multi-day point to point runs carrying all my gear in a backpack, but I tend to prebook somewhere to stay rather than wild camping. 

Yes, in Australia so my advice won’t be relevant. If you’re interested though it’s:

- be careful of nearby trees when pitching a tent. Branches may drop through the night and kill you.

- bring a snake bite kit and always wear long hiking trousers to reduce the likelihood of fangs breaking skin … and killing you.

- alway carry an emergency satellite beacon so the helicopter can rescue you if you require it … getting lost or injured in remote areas can kill you.

- keep your tent fully zipped up at all times to reduce the likelihood of snakes, spider or even huge goannas from entering the tent.

- tell people where you are going so they can call search and rescue if you don’t reappear when you said you would.

- carry enough food and drink. Dehydration can kill you.

- have decent clothing for all possible weather for that time of year.

- cotton kills… merino or other special synthetic materials are preferred.

- have the relevant topographic maps and know how to read them.

- have fun!

YouTube clip of a goanna in a tent

On 28/09/2021 at 17:58, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Anyone do it? 

Any advice? 

Don`t go camping with people who don`t like camping.

Went camping with a mate a long time ago, we camped on a wild and deserted beach which the only way to get to was down a steep, long and winding set of steps. It was a beautiful spot.

He wakes up in the middle of the night screaming " There`s someone outside the tent, there`s someone outside the tent !!!" and in his panic he knocked the centre tent pole out and the tent was down on top of us. Here we are thrashing around on the ground in the tent trying to find the zip and I`m thinking there`s someone outside.

Turns out he was having a nightmare. Dopey #####.

On 07/10/2021 at 03:00, The Rocket said:

Don`t go camping with people who don`t like camping.

Went camping with a mate a long time ago, we camped on a wild and deserted beach which the only way to get to was down a steep, long and winding set of steps. It was a beautiful spot.

He wakes up in the middle of the night screaming " There`s someone outside the tent, there`s someone outside the tent !!!" and in his panic he knocked the centre tent pole out and the tent was down on top of us. Here we are thrashing around on the ground in the tent trying to find the zip and I`m thinking there`s someone outside.

Turns out he was having a nightmare. Dopey #####.

Maybe there was someone outside the tent! 

Archived