faked HIAs

my missus

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

1 hour ago, my missus said:

Shirley not in the NRL, everyone i know who watches that competition tell’s me “you don’t get player’s faking injury or milking penalties in the NRL. They’re so super human they don’t have too do such nonsense”. 

15 minutes ago, Josef K said:

Shirley not in the NRL, everyone i know who watches that competition tell’s me “you don’t get player’s faking injury or milking penalties in the NRL. They’re so super human they don’t have too do such nonsense”. 

Hmmm. Not sure if anyone has said that. Can you point us to the miscreants?

17 minutes ago, Josef K said:

Everyone who watches the NRL knows they do

21 minutes ago, Josef K said:

Actually, on the Blake Ferguson thread, my exact words were " I am not a big fan of his antics at the weekend pretending to be injured to gain a penalty.  But he is not alone in that unfortunately."

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Get back to play around them, I never saw a collision between an injured player and 'trainer' attending him with an opposition player, ever.

Time to put a stop to this nonsense, we used to do it the way we did for good reason.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Josef K said:

In the last NRL match thread I questioned the legitimacy of Brandon Smith's HIA. Around the 13th minute I said:

Trainer stops play to check the Cheese's shoulder. Looks possibly badly injured.

followed closely by:

Brandon Smith coming off at 15th minute

then 25 minutes later:

Brandon Smith failed HIA for his shoulder injury?

I also questioned why Jerome Luai's HIA hadn't drawn a penalty since it was clearly contact with the head by Munster. And, before either of those incidents, I questioned why the Storm trainer had held up play to check on Christian Welch right when Panthers were attacking on the Storm line, instead of 80m back up field where he had clearly suffered a head knock. This around the 2-minute mark:

This after Panthers got a restart on the Storm line then a Storm trainer called a halt to play to check a HIA on Welch. Welch stayed on the field even thought the ref told the trainer he had to leave the field if there was a halt to play.

Then this, a few minutes later:

Now, in the 8th minute, Welch goes off, HIA presumably.

17 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

In the last NRL match thread I questioned the legitimacy of Brandon Smith's HIA. Around the 13th minute I said:

followed closely by:

then 25 minutes later:

I also questioned why Jerome Luai's HIA hadn't drawn a penalty since it was clearly contact with the head by Munster. And, before either of those incidents, I questioned why the Storm trainer had held up play to check on Christian Welch right when Panthers were attacking on the Storm line, instead of 80m back up field where he had clearly suffered a head knock. This around the 2-minute mark:

Then this, a few minutes later:

And strangely key playmaker Cleary wasn’t even looked at after stumbling back into the defensive line after getting his head in the wrong position making a tackle.

The only solution to all of this is bringing in an independent doctor on the sideline to conduct the footage reviews and assessments as necessary. To be honest I'm extremely surprised they haven't done this already, given the furore regarding the crackdown this year.

Removes any suggestion of "rorting" on behalf of individual clubs in the minds of fans and reduces any suggestion the NRL enabled clubs to manipulate the system by leaving potentially concussed players on the field.

7 hours ago, UTK said:

The only solution to all of this is bringing in an independent doctor on the sideline to conduct the footage reviews and assessments as necessary. To be honest I'm extremely surprised they haven't done this already, given the furore regarding the crackdown this year.

Removes any suggestion of "rorting" on behalf of individual clubs in the minds of fans and reduces any suggestion the NRL enabled clubs to manipulate the system by leaving potentially concussed players on the field.

I posed the question a few months back on this forum of who does the adjudicating of a HIA assessment, it wasn't about the NRL in particular but also with reference to the RL, I asked was it a member of the player's club, a member from the opponent's club, or a completely independent assessor, no one could provide the answer, but I was told by some of the more - let's call them easily influenced posters - that it should not matter who does the assessing I assumed they meant it will be conducted with the utmost honesty, really!

11 hours ago, Davo5 said:

And strangely key playmaker Cleary wasn’t even looked at after stumbling back into the defensive line after getting his head in the wrong position making a tackle.

Yeah that was ridiculous, he barely made it back into the line and everyone expected the review to take him off yet nothing happened, shows how little care is really being taken at times.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I posed the question a few months back on this forum of who does the adjudicating of a HIA assessment, it wasn't about the NRL in particular but also with reference to the RL, I asked was it a member of the player's club, a member from the opponent's club, or a completely independent assessor, no one could provide the answer, but I was told by some of the more - let's call them easily influenced posters - that it should not matter who does the assessing I assumed they meant it will be conducted with the utmost honesty, really!

To be honest I had just assumed independent doctors had been implemented from the start because it really is the only way that makes sense. I don't intend to draw into question the integrity of any club doctor but the reality is there are any number of influences from the club on gameday that could potentially alter the process of determining HIAs. 

To remove any and all doubt over the process the decision-making should just be taken out of the clubs hands entirely, without knowing too much about the area of law specifically I could only imagine it would make sense from a liability perspective on the NRLs behalf as well. 

2 minutes ago, UTK said:

To be honest I had just assumed independent doctors had been implemented from the start because it really is the only way that makes sense. I don't intend to draw into question the integrity of any club doctor but the reality is there are any number of influences from the club on gameday that could potentially alter the process of determining HIAs. 

To remove any and all doubt over the process the decision-making should just be taken out of the clubs hands entirely, without knowing too much about the area of law specifically I could only imagine it would make sense from a liability perspective on the NRLs behalf as well. 

In Aus to choose from for the games there is a referee's panel and a bunker panel, how about a HIA panel I am sure the NRL could afford that.

As for the paupers that are the RFL and SL we will have to stay with the integrity of the club official's, ☹

‘ The physio has asked me to stop the game ‘ … says the ref . Well of course he has he works for one team . I watched an episode of the show behind the scenes at West’s and Maguire was screaming to get the game stopped when they had a man injured and we’re under the cosh . Conversely , I watched a game when a team was attacking and the physio did a HIA on the pitch and just led the player off . Strange that ? Even more bizarrely Parra stopped the game for an HIA on Waqa Blake and he was off the pitch walking to the dugout .  The whole HIA and injuries thing needs looking at . We introduce a lot of protocols to speed the game up and yet we have increasing protocols to keep stopping it … it’s a game built on momentum and fatigue but these can be manipulated within the rules . There’s to many stoppages when the game just doesn’t need to be stopped . We don’t need to stop for every injury , cut and HIA assessment . We stand around while a guy gets a cut bandaged or gets his side a breather . Now the VR is analysing every tackle as well to add to it 

5 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

one of the key skills of the top SL sides was a player faking injury defending a set restart or after a penalty - we were really poop at it

Not sure why fake injury on a penalty so much, a set restart yep...

I guess if and when we do away with set restarts and back to scrums and penalty their would be less need for players to manufacture a reason to get their breath back or to reset the line...

49 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Not sure why fake injury on a penalty so much, a set restart yep...

I guess if and when we do away with set restarts and back to scrums and penalty their would be less need for players to manufacture a reason to get their breath back or to reset the line...

Disagree John, it is becoming a part of the game to take a breather or better put "a tactical pause in the flow of the game - by whatever means and opportunity arises.

It all started a few years ago when someone thought it good to have 10 interchanges those being reduced nessaitated in coaches finding other ways to bring fresh player's onto the field, and now it has got to the player's, in all manner of ways I swear I have watched and been involved with the game for nigh on 60 years and for over 50 of them can consciously say I can never ever recall a complain't for a crusher tackle! This is just one example.

All the honesty of the game of RL and the players I used to highlight with my roundball mates compared to the cheating that has gone on in football for many a year has flown out of the window, this once great game full of integrity and honesty has all but vanished.

It was once a sport where fatigue played a major role, now that has been replaced by the teams that can control the 'incidents' best.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Disagree John, it is becoming a part of the game to take a breather or better put "a tactical pause in the flow of the game - by whatever means and opportunity arises.

It all started a few years ago when someone thought it good to have 10 interchanges those being reduced nessaitated in coaches finding other ways to bring fresh player's onto the field, and now it has got to the player's, in all manner of ways I swear I have watched and been involved with the game for nigh on 60 years and for over 50 of them can consciously say I can never ever recall a complain't for a crusher tackle! This is just one example.

All the honesty of the game of RL and the players I used to highlight with my roundball mates compared to the cheating that has gone on in football for many a year has flown out of the window, this once great game full of integrity and honesty has all but vanished.

It was once a sport where fatigue played a major role, now that has been replaced by the teams that can control the 'incidents' best.

Yep too much integrity gone out the window... to add to your comment - dummy half's throwing their hands in the air at every PTB are one of the pains for me

27 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Saints and Leeds are superb in this  - I thought it was a players version of the Mexican wave for a while

Chuckle and your right...

I first noticed it with an Huddersfield dummy half a couple of seasons ago... every single PTB he waved his arms in objection to some foul play... every single one.

Actually Leeds and Saints are my two favourite teams for one reason or another... and yes both are very guilty.

Archived