Chris Chester appointed Head of Rugby at Leigh

The Daddy

I'm surprised someone with the current credibility of Chris Chester is willing to get involved with the Leigh, or more accurately the club's owner. If I were him I'd have waited for another opportunity - which would surely have come given his standing in the game.

Reading the article it seems like this appointment is instead of the previously mooted 'NRL coach' which fell through.

So, Kurt Haggerty as the budget option for coach with Chester above him as Director of Rugby?

The 'problem' with this sort of appointment is it can soon end up with the DoR wanting more involvement with the playing side than a coach feels comfortable with. How long before Chester is the coach at LSV then? (Which might not be a bad thing actually)

Will be interesting to see how this pans out. 

Just now, DavidM said:

Head of rugby … head of operations … a forthright owner … a coach . Interesting how it all works in practice 

Replace the 3 dots with the word fights.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

5 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Reading the article it seems like this appointment is instead of the previously mooted 'NRL coach' which fell through.

So, Kurt Haggerty as the budget option for coach with Chester above him as Director of Rugby?

The 'problem' with this sort of appointment is it can soon end up with the DoR wanting more involvement with the playing side than a coach feels comfortable with. How long before Chester is the coach at LSV then? (Which might not be a bad thing actually)

Will be interesting to see how this pans out. 

Also problematic with their being no previous relationship between Messrs Haggerty and Chester - and with Chester signing the players.

Wasn't there an earlier problem when Cunningham signed the players?

Anyway,good wishes to Chris Chester.I was quite impressed when he was at Hull KR and had the players involve themselves in the community.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

8 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

There was, but then again it was a problem when he signed the players at Saints too which was the big issue of that appointment. Chester at least has made a few decent signings in his time.

10 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Also problematic with their being no previous relationship between Messrs Haggerty and Chester - and with Chester signing the players.

Anyway,good wishes to Chris Chester.I was quite impressed when he was at Hull KR and had the players involve themselves in the community.

Not really with him signing  certain players (Peter Mata'utia being one of them), it was mainly due to the fact that we lost 4 of our first 5 championship games. And despite a change of coach and a 14 game unbeaten run, failed to make the play-offs.

Chesey what are you thinking? I suppose a man has got to earn a living. Beaumont has to be praying that Chester has some aces up his sleeve when it comes to contacts for new players otherwise Leigh are going to do well to get a team on the pitch next season as they already seem to be scraping the barrel.

I will give this time before making any comment, albeit I do think Mr Beaumont is once again playing his 'Loyalty' card with Mr Haggerty, it is a strategy of Mr B's that this long suffering Leigh fan has been critical of in the past,

When I spoke with Kurt initially about the proposed NRL appointment, he was disappointed and felt that he could succeed with a strong head of rugby supporting him.

So Kurt's words have seemingly influenced Mr B it seems, no doubt about it Kurt was thrown in at the deep end this season and may yet eventually prove himself to be a great coach, but I would have preferred a strong, experienced, no nonsense coach at the helm for this next season and going forward.

26 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I will give this time before making any comment, albeit I do think Mr Beaumont is once again playing his 'Loyalty' card with Mr Haggerty, it is a strategy of Mr B's that this long suffering Leigh fan has been critical of in the past,

When I spoke with Kurt initially about the proposed NRL appointment, he was disappointed and felt that he could succeed with a strong head of rugby supporting him.

So Kurt's words have seemingly influenced Mr B it seems, no doubt about it Kurt was thrown in at the deep end this season and may yet eventually prove himself to be a great coach, but I would have preferred a strong, experienced, no nonsense coach at the helm for this next season and going forward.

That from Haggerty seems a really strange thing to come out with and they are words that would give me absolutely no confidence when it comes to giving him a head coach role.

17 minutes ago, Damien said:

That from Haggerty seems a really strange thing to come out with and they are words that would give me absolutely no confidence when it comes to giving him a head coach role.

If we had stayed in SL he would not be head coach, next season will be a great opportunity for him with a mentor to fall back on

13 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think there is somewhat a lot of self preservation in that qoute from Mr Haggerty, he is at the moment sat in the seat of a head coach and wanting to maintain that position, ask yourself this "where else could he go" it is either suck up to the situation and learn from someone at Leigh, or be hopeful that someone else will employ him and still be learning from someone else or most probably be unemployed.

Archived