Batley or Halifax in Super League?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Omott91 said:

I pretty sure my view will be unpopular but I was watching the Batley game and ended up thinking afterwards that licencing or hybrid p/r is the way to go. There is no way that Batley with the amount of support (couldn't achieve a sell out of a park ground) and the ground they have are Super League ready or worthy off the field. 

If we all want Super League to achieve the heights that we believe it can, unfortunately that dream doesn't include part time clubs without the facilities and economy to support them. This doesn't just include Batley but other clubs such as Whitehaven and Workington. Clubs that we don't even know whether they have Super League ambitions. 

If SL1/SL2 gets the go ahead then SL2 should only be for ambitious full time clubs or strategically located and the clubs mentioned above go into their own comp similar to Qcup or NSW cup here in Australia. English rl simply doesn't have the funds to support the traditional p/r structure and give out goodwill money with the hope that a feel good battler story comes along. The finances just don't add up for a sport already declining.

Whilst I'd guess everyone on here would like to see that (pipe) dream come true, it just isn't going to happen. 

16 minutes ago, Tabby said:

Then their ambition isn’t SL! Is it?

The point is there are a number of championship players of Superleague quality,they just choose to make a better living combining RL with other work,maybe if Superleague had more ambition & kept the salary cap inline with the cost of living more of those players could/would choose full time contracts.

11 hours ago, Tabby said:

Part time players won’t give up the security of their full time job. Regardless of how much is being offered by a SL club it won’t match the security they will have in the future.

A part time player in a full time environment in SL is your way forward? Comical.

You clearly did not understand my post, Im not saying it is the way forward for SL, Im saying it may give the promoted team the best chance of having a shot at staying up. Either way part time players in SL will likely be the norm within 5 years with the money reducing all the time.

Without wanting to turn this into another tedious discussion about structures I have to agree that neither of these clubs should be able to operate in SL with a part time squad. The ambition has to be for a competitive Championship with these big, historic, but part-time clubs like Batley, Fax and Fev battling it out whilst continuing to be sustainable.

7 hours ago, Davo5 said:

The point is there are a number of championship players of Superleague quality,they just choose to make a better living combining RL with other work,maybe if Superleague had more ambition & kept the salary cap inline with the cost of living more of those players could/would choose full time contracts.

You mean they would take a 2 year contract in SL and bin their day job?

2 hours ago, Ray Cashmere said:

Without wanting to turn this into another tedious discussion about structures I have to agree that neither of these clubs should be able to operate in SL with a part time squad. The ambition has to be for a competitive Championship with these big, historic, but part-time clubs like Batley, Fax and Fev battling it out whilst continuing to be sustainable.

That’s the choice they chose..

5 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

You clearly did not understand my post, Im not saying it is the way forward for SL, Im saying it may give the promoted team the best chance of having a shot at staying up. Either way part time players in SL will likely be the norm within 5 years with the money reducing all the time.

I quite clearly understood your post. Hence the reply. Again if you think you can place a part time model into a full time one, good luck.

8 hours ago, Tabby said:

I quite clearly understood your post. Hence the reply. Again if you think you can place a part time model into a full time one, good luck.

Why would you not be able to? Most of the top Championship clubs do it on some level already. But again, you quite clearly didn't understand my post as I am not saying it is the way forward I am suggesting it as a stop gap for the first year of any Championship teams first year in SL. Recruiting a pretty much full squad when only the worst full time players are available is quite clearly not going to work is it? So why not keep the better part time players who will be a lot better than those remaining full time players and then try to add in a bit more quality with some better full time players.

Archived