Good news for next season

glemiln

More should unfold with the announcement that Matt Calland has decided to continue as coach for 2022.

hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk/article/953/matt-calland-signs-new-deal-for-2022… #ThisisRochdale

We have lost Josh Jordan-Roberts to Alan Kilshaw’s Hunslet, who appear to placing emphasis on ‘local’ talent too.

Yet, the info. https://www.hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk/our-club/vacancies augurs well for Hornets.

The next few months will be crucial given the large revenue reduction by the RFL to League 1 clubs for 2022 season. 
For which future rugby league structure they will be playing is another matter!  
Currently, 2x10 SL1 and SL2 leagues seems possible, but it’s the other 16 (for now). 
At least next season we can renew battle with our ‘neighbours’ 🌗Oldham and Swinton. 

• 3 weeks later...

2022 players to-date

Gregg McNally - full back - 30 - ex-Whitehaven

Cian Tyrer - wing/full back - 20 - ex-Newcastle

Rangi Chase - half back - 35 - re-signed 

Rhys Davies - 2nd row - 25 - ex-Dewsbury

Paul Brearley - forward - 29 - re-signed

Luke Fowden - prop forward - 24 - re-signed

Zac Baker - loose forward  - 23 - re-signed 

Ben Forster - forward - 20 - re-signed

Dan Nixon - utility back - 19 - re-signed

Connor Aspey - hooker - 19 - season on-loan from Salford.

Lewis Sheridan - half back - 27 - re-signed

Rob Fairclough - scrum half - 22 - re-signed

Gavin Bennion - prop forward - 27 - re-signed

Jimmy Connaughton - forward - 23 -re-signed

Ben Calland - centre - 23 - re-signed

Tom Whur - forward - 20 - season on-loan from Hull K.R.

Louis Singleton - forward - 30 - ex-London Skolars

Cobi Green - half back - 22 - ex-Swinton.

Joe Taira - forward - 32 - re-signed

Joe Howe - centre/2nd row  - 19/20? - Huddersfield

Ben Killan - prop forward - 19/20? - Huddersfield

Tom Ashton - centre 29 - re-signed

Looking very good    26/11

There appears to be a slow response regarding the squad that has been signed for next season which is a bit strange considering that the club is already selling season tickets and are looking for player sponsorship etc. I feel that once the supporters know the the full squad they will respond much quicker with buying tickets and sponsorship etc. 

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

3 hours ago, ornit4ever said:

There appears to be a slow response regarding the squad that has been signed for next season which is a bit strange considering that the club is already selling season tickets and are looking for player sponsorship etc. I feel that once the supporters know the the full squad they will respond much quicker with buying tickets and sponsorship etc. 

The list above which I first posted 23/10 was updated 7/11 to 13 players!

Plus:  Anyone who buys a season ticket will be able to add an annual Premier Sports subscription for only £80 for the "Monday night Rugby League Package".  This offer is only available on Sky and the Premier Player. 

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/36249/premier-sports-subscription-offer-for-championship-and-league-1-season-ticket-holders-

I think Excolt is referring to New Zealander Dean Lonergan who played for Hornets in 1989. He played a massive part in the 1989 Boxing Day match against Oldham which Hornets won 24-12 in front of 8150 spectators. Not a bad crowd for a second division match but both clubs were pushing for promotion. I remember being there. The Hornets team included some great players. According to a report I found the teams were

HORNETS:  Chris Myler; John Higgins, Mark Lord, Mark Nixon, Karl Marriott; John Woods, Andy Sullivan; Paul Gamble, Martin Hall, Neil Cowie, Dean Lonergan, Tony Humphries, Paul McDermott. Subs: Steve Turner, Bob Marsden.

OLDHAM:  Gary Hyde; Charlie McAlister, Des Foy, Richard Irving, Paul Lord; Brett Clark, Mike Ford; John Fairbank, Richard Russell, John Fieldhouse, Keith Newton, Trevor Croston, John Cogger. Subs: Kevin Meadows, Keith Atkinson

Lonergan, Woods, Gamble and McDermott scored tries for Hornets with Turner landing three goals and Woods one.

Wingers Lord and McAlister crossed for Oldham while McAlister also kicked two goals.

18 hours ago, Pedro said:

I think Excolt is referring to New Zealander Dean Lonergan who played for Hornets in 1989. He played a massive part in the 1989 Boxing Day match against Oldham which Hornets won 24-12 in front of 8150 spectators. Not a bad crowd for a second division match but both clubs were pushing for promotion. I remember being there. The Hornets team included some great players. According to a report I found the teams were

HORNETS:  Chris Myler; John Higgins, Mark Lord, Mark Nixon, Karl Marriott; John Woods, Andy Sullivan; Paul Gamble, Martin Hall, Neil Cowie, Dean Lonergan, Tony Humphries, Paul McDermott. Subs: Steve Turner, Bob Marsden.

OLDHAM:  Gary Hyde; Charlie McAlister, Des Foy, Richard Irving, Paul Lord; Brett Clark, Mike Ford; John Fairbank, Richard Russell, John Fieldhouse, Keith Newton, Trevor Croston, John Cogger. Subs: Kevin Meadows, Keith Atkinson

Lonergan, Woods, Gamble and McDermott scored tries for Hornets with Turner landing three goals and Woods one.

Wingers Lord and McAlister crossed for Oldham while McAlister also kicked two goals.

Shame the crowds aren't like that now. Them were the days. We can only dream of them numbers now.😢

On 14/11/2021 at 19:53, Anita Bath said:

And that trip to Cornwall is on May 1 avoiding the height of summer traffic, but not avoiding bank holiday traffic

Look forward to seeing all you Hornets friends, not seen you for about 5 years. It's a nice journey down here that will take about 7 hours by car.

We seem to draw the short straw for bank holiday away fixtures………..NW Crusaders at August bank holiday this year and Cornwall on May Day bank holiday next year……and a seven hour journey perhaps🤔🤔

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

On 14/11/2021 at 22:33, glemiln said:

Any details please Excolt?   Can only find one player, but with the surname spelled differently and about 56yrs - surely not!?  Cheers.

No it’s the player from then . I’m sure it was on a Good Friday when he dummied the Oldham fullback and scored to give Hornets a great win in front of over 8,000 at Spotland

On 16/11/2021 at 16:23, Excolt 1 said:

No it’s the player from then . I’m sure it was on a Good Friday when he dummied the Oldham fullback and scored to give Hornets a great win in front of over 8,000 at Spotland

8000, we're lucky to get 800 now.😂. See you next year👍. We could all do with a bit of friendly banter.

On 15/11/2021 at 22:44, phildog said:

No Yates, Galbraith or Big Joe?

Squad announced so far: 21/11/21  Fairclough, Bennion, Chase, Baker, Brearley, Tyrer, Fowden, Davies, McNally, Nixon, Forster, Aspey, Sheridan, Connaughton, Calland, Whur, Singleton, Green, Taira.

May be an image of 1 person

I would like to see Penky do one more season but the biggest miss is Callum Marriot . I hope they can convince him to sign and he’s not to busted. Fui probably to expensive Galbraith I think has retired. The other Rochdale lads seem to have career finishing injuries. Surprisingly Oldham are 7-2 favourites to win league, we are fourth favourites at 5-1 . I thought Swinton would be our biggest rivals but what do I know I backed us to win it last season and we didn’t even make the playoffs.

On 23/11/2021 at 10:05, Excolt 1 said:

I would like to see Penky do one more season but the biggest miss is Callum Marriot . I hope they can convince him to sign and he’s not to busted. Fui probably to expensive Galbraith I think has retired. The other Rochdale lads seem to have career finishing injuries. Surprisingly Oldham are 7-2 favourites to win league, we are fourth favourites at 5-1 . I thought Swinton would be our biggest rivals but what do I know I backed us to win it last season and we didn’t even make the playoffs.

As an Oldham fan I expect Swinton to finish top with Keighley close behind. 

Archived