Newcastle Thunder Confirm 2022 Full-Time Status

1 hour ago, glossop saint said:

The difference is a rumoured funding cut to those outside the 20 to potentially catastrophic levels. Hence the scramble to make it. If Newcastle don't then we could see the death of a vibrant hard working expansion club. 

Its 26 and not 20

38 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Its 26 and not 20

Has there been more developments in the last few days that I have missed?

Even so, my point still stands, that if you don't make the cut off you are in big trouble. Though I will take my argument back that this will have forced Newcastle's hand as I would expect even as a hybrid/ part time I would expect them to finish in the top 26 next season. 

Arent they working off the Richardson plan?

I think they will have a criteria not just positions on the table so as to appeal to the broadcasters, things like stadium, finance, attendances or potential attendances etc etc.

3 hours ago, glossop saint said:

The difference is a rumoured funding cut to those outside the 20 to potentially catastrophic levels. Hence the scramble to make it. If Newcastle don't then we could see the death of a vibrant hard working expansion club. 

From what the RFL president stated there won't just be a cut off based on performance there is likely to be a selection process if there is a 20 

1 minute ago, The Daddy said:

From what the RFL president stated there won't just be a cut off based on performance there is likely to be a selection process if there is a 20 

I'm sure that will go down well 😐

SL12 currently, 2 current GF teams, + 6 others; likely Bradford, York, Newcastle, Sheffield, London (all big cities) and Widnes (balance the NW a bit).

Hardly the game changer you'd expect from licensing a second division. There's a lot of Yorkshire teams, no big cities in the NW and only Newcastle and London as outside the two Northern regions (one being an even further Northern club).

I really don't see the point.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

2 hours ago, The Daddy said:

If I was Newcastle then I wouldn't take that chance. And they need to plan now if they (or any other teams) want to go full time. Unfortunately I would be surprised is the criteria for being in the 20 is released before January and certainly before pre season starts, let alone when players need signing. 

God luck to them, they have all the components in place and it's a logical next step for them to take. It's a risk but one their owner is obviously willing to take and provide any extra finance if he is called upon to do so. The only issue I see is growing the crowds, it is in a very large catchment area but it is traditionally more inclined to be a football or Rugby Union supporter base which the people already follow both in good numbers. The question is can rugby league persuade them to try something else? Empty stadiums are not a good look on Sky TV for viewers or advertisers. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

So Josh Eaves has signed. Good signing and Tommy Makinson was singing his praises which suggests he’s a good person to have on board

Yeah I think Eaves will turn out to be a very good signing there. Disappointed he's left us to be honest as I've always thought he had more about him than Aaron Smith, but with Lussick coming in there's no game time really.

Had a couple of really unlucky injuries which wiped out two full seasons for him as he was coming through otherwise he'd have had a lot more opportunities. Hope to see him back in SL at some point.

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

So Josh Eaves has signed. Good signing and Tommy Makinson was singing his praises which suggests he’s a good person to have on board

Great signing for Newcastle Josh had a season with Haven on DR top bloke and a good player. His family still buys into the 300 club which helps the club out. 

3 hours ago, The Daddy said:

I've read that Newcastle Thunder have been linked with Mitch Clark and Pauli Pauli 

I’d be far less convinced about either of those signings, although they’re probably an improvement on what they have currently 

Archived