Stevie Ward

Former Leeds Rhinos captain Stevie Ward: 'I wonder if I'll ever get back to normal' | Daily Mail Online

An interview in one of today's papers with Stevie Ward about the impact of his repeated head injuries and how severely it continues to impact him daily. Food for thought.

(interview is in the Daily Mail, thought I would say as I know many people's thoughts about that paper!)

I used to live in USA in the retirement complex we lived in there was a large elderly man wheelchair bound .He played for New York Giants in the mid 50s to mid 60s . He said they weren't very well compared to the present day NFL players.  He said the NFL  are picking up the tab for his occomodation and his care otherwise he wouldn't be able to afford it . 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

5 hours ago, LeeF said:

Expand please? How much should he have been paid? 

At what salary level does head injuries become ok.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

That is sad to read. Hope he recovers soon.

Is anybody aware of any studies wrt brain injuries in RL, RU, NFL, boxing? I've read some stuff online and it seems pretty bad tbh eg "23 percent of all of the rugby players showed abnormalities", but that more research is needed.

Short term what can be done to minimise risk? 21 days recovery, more testing, less contact training?

56 minutes ago, bratman said:

Short term what can be done to minimise risk? 21 days recovery, more testing, less contact training?

The other code’s international board have recently issued instructions that full contact training must be limited to 15 minutes per week spread across at least 2 days.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

56 minutes ago, Derwent said:

The other code’s international board have recently issued instructions that full contact training must be limited to 15 minutes per week spread across at least 2 days.

Bit silly - part of contact training is to learn how to make and take tackles correctly.

2 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

They've issued guidance and recommendations, not orders. However, I'm pretty sure they'll have considered the value of contact training too. As it is, the average for full contact training per week in RU in 21 minutes, so it's not as significant a recommendation as first made out. 

Fun fact RU spend 51 minutes training players to look for the ball after its been kicked out of the stadium.

18 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

They've issued guidance and recommendations, not orders. However, I'm pretty sure they'll have considered the value of contact training too. As it is, the average for full contact training per week in RU in 21 minutes, so it's not as significant a recommendation as first made out. 

I think on top of this they allow some controlled contact training which I assume will mean scrummaging. 

Archived