NRL Match Thread - GRAND FINAL - Panthers v Souths

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just felt the Panthers try would promote the Rabbits to play the way that makes them dangerous. They had rarely done so all game.

To relinquish your shot at a Premiership with such a low percentage play as that 2 point field goal attempt was a real shame.

Not a classic. Very attritional. Exciting though. Edge of the seat and game in the balance to the very end. A fun watch.

Disappointed for Souths but Penrith deserved it. Two tries a piece and a missed kick the only thing separating them.

Great effort from both sides.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Not a classic. Very attritional. Exciting though. Edge of the seat and game in the balance to the very end. A fun watch.

A tight game like that would especially benefit from the ability to effectively apply kick pressure, and possibly make big plays that break the game open. 

But teams are not going to expend all the effort defending 5 plays then risk conceding a repeat set by playing at the ball and not regathering.

Ironic that Gus identified that the rules relating to playing at the ball are "stupid".

Mixed form on my predictions arising from this match. At the start of the season the teams at the top of the betting to win the GF were the 2 teams playing tonight. I then said neither team would win it!

After Bennett left St George in 2010 I said he wouldn't coach another team to a GF win. 

I have been a Penrith season ticket holder since 2000.

if Latrell Mitchell hadn't have been such a d****khead souths would have been celebrating a gf win right now, having said that the panthers defence has been awesome of late and they prob deserve the win, just

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Good on the Penny Panthers.. From my perspective it could have been worse..especially in the last 10 minutes that felt like an eternity..

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

41 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

if Latrell Mitchell hadn't have been such a d****khead souths would have been celebrating a gf win right now, having said that the panthers defence has been awesome of late and they prob deserve the win, just

Spot on.  Souths just didn't have the strike on the edges that they have when Mitchell is there.  No way of knowing how it would have turned out but an in form Mitchell makes Souths 10 times better in attack.

But part of being successful in sport is composure and professionalism and Mitchell was not available in that match because he is as you describe. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I just felt the Panthers try would promote the Rabbits to play the way that makes them dangerous. They had rarely done so all game.

To relinquish your shot at a Premiership with such a low percentage play as that 2 point field goal attempt was a real shame.

Only seen a Wayne Bennett team with England and now South Sydney so it’s perhaps not a fair assessment, but I couldn’t watch a side coached by him if those teams are anything to go by. Competitive yes, but low risk (which ultimately makes them competitive). You do of course have to credit him for getting both these sides to a final. 

Bit after the Lord Mayor’s show that game. Decent game, but last week’s titanic tussle was the final. Cleary’s kicking was imperious yet again.

Archived