So IF Catalans win the GF, what will be the after effect?

17 hours ago, bratman said:

I think they already do

www.jpg

Those attendances are massively skewed by the Nou-Camp neutral venue game. Their average without that was only 8439, with a highest home attendance of 11,856 against Wigan and a lowest attendance of 5,055 against Wakefield.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

There is far more upside for the game if Catalans win, than if they lose. We will get more spectators watching the game. Their already good crowds would grow again, while Saints’ so so crowds won’t get any bigger.

Where do you come up with these things !!!!

Setting aside the Nou-camp neutral venue game Catalans average crowds grew by a whopping 426 after winning the CC in 2018, so what makes you think them winning the GF will suddenly see a huge increase when there's absolutely no evidence to suggest winning a trophy delivers that for them ?

As for Saints 'so-so' crowds, its still bigger than everyone elses except Leeds, and bigger than Catalans even with the Nou-camp crowd boost.

14 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Those attendances are massively skewed by the Nou-Camp neutral venue game. Their average without that was only 8439, with a highest home attendance of 11,856 against Wigan and a lowest attendance of 5,055 against Wakefield.

Still 10k average.

7 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Where do you come up with these things !!!!

Setting aside the Nou-camp neutral venue game Catalans average crowds grew by a whopping 426 after winning the CC in 2018, so what makes you think them winning the GF will suddenly see a huge increase when there's absolutely no evidence to suggest winning a trophy delivers that for them ?

As for Saints 'so-so' crowds, its still bigger than everyone elses except Leeds, and bigger than Catalans even with the Nou-camp crowd boost.

How was it a neutral home game? It was a home game. Catalans represent a region (hence the name Catalans Dragons)

I remember Saints taking home games to Liverpool back in the early days of SL. They were put in Saints crowd averages too. 

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

How was it a neutral home game? It was a home game. Catalans represent a region (hence the name Catalans Dragons)

I remember Saints taking home games to Liverpool back in the early days of SL. They were put in Saints crowd averages too. 

Yes , but that sent their average down didn't it ? 😉

8 minutes ago, bratman said:

Still 10k average.

How do you work that one out ?

Their average attendance with the Nou-camp attendance of 33,155 included was 10,259. Take that attendance out and their average home attendance is nowhere near 10K

4 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

How do you work that one out ?

Their average attendance with the Nou-camp attendance of 33,155 included was 10,259. Take that attendance out and their average home attendance is nowhere near 10K

Why should you take that out? They mobilised 33k to a stand alone SL fixture.   If only every team did that each season

Just now, Spidey said:

Why should you take that out? They mobilised 33k to a stand alone SL fixture.   If only every team did that each season

Where are all those fans at their regular home games then ?

They managed to attract 22K neutrals to the Nou-Camp over & above the crowd they got in their regular home fixture against Wigan that year.

Just now, Saint Toppy said:

They managed to attract 22K neutrals to the Nou-Camp over & above the crowd they got in their regular home fixture against Wigan that year.

Bore off with your anti Catalans nonsense. Only in RL would a record crowd be used as a negative

1 minute ago, Saint Toppy said:

Including 2 from Wigan that I know who haven't been anywhere near the DW since 😉

Success would be if Catalans can get a TV deal whereby the TV company actually pays money for the rights.

Presently Catalans actually have to pay the TV company if they want games to be screened. As long as that continues Catalans have a long way to go.

It would also help if English players counted on the overseas quota because that is a massive reason for the relative lack of Super League quality French players being produced.

8 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

It was a regular home game,they just had the foresight & ambition to take it to one of the worlds most iconic stadiums,and break the Superleague record,what a pity other Superleague clubs don’t possess those qualities.

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

It was a regular home game,they just had the foresight & ambition to take it to one of the worlds most iconic stadiums,and break the Superleague record,what a pity other Superleague clubs don’t possess those qualities.

Indeed , because it would be roaring success 😂

I think Toppy makes a typically insightful point. If you ignore any crowds bigger than Saints’, then Saints do have the biggest crowds - IN WORLD SPORT. Though clearly there is massive scope for more people to turn up to Saints’ matches, what would be disappointing figures to a normal person look world beating once you apply the Toppy Top Up Formula.

23 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Saints may take 20k fans to Old Trafford. There looked about 8-9k home fans there last Friday.

lets hope its not another sheff eagles - the way that went after all the hard work and effort that went in there at the club was a disgrace to our sport

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Saints may take 20k fans to Old Trafford. There looked about 8-9k home fans there last Friday.

So 2-3k more Catalans fans turned up for their home semifinal,can’t wait for the Toppy theory on that.

Some posters on here claim the success of either Catalans or Toulouse is a triumph for expansion. It is not for they are both French Heartland Clubs and no more an expansion team than teams starting up in billinge or methley.

The true metre of both clubs success or not lies in

• How many French players have they brought through in the key skill positions
  • How much better the French National side is (i.e. are they at least competitive with England)

If like me you are of the view that both have too many non-French players in key positions and note the lack of success of the French national side in this era then its a pas tres bien from me and no Grand Final win to follow the Challenge Cup win will change this.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

9 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Some posters on here claim the success of either Catalans or Toulouse is a triumph for expansion. It is not for they are both French Heartland Clubs and no more an expansion team than teams starting up in billinge or methley.

The true metre of both clubs success or not lies in

• How many French players have they brought through in the key skill positions
  • How much better the French National side is (i.e. are they at least competitive with England)

If like me you are of the view that both have too many non-French players in key positions and note the lack of success of the French national side in this era then its a pas tres bien from me and no Grand Final win to follow the Challenge Cup win will change this.

Time 

I'd love to see the word 'expansion' scrubbed from RL vocabulary. People use it to describe whatever suits their preferences. People bend over backwards to try and ensure even positive developments aren't seen as expansion.

Steve Mascord pointed out the other day that we haven't had real expansion as in the North American version of expansion - but who decides that their version is the definition of expansion?

Everyone has their own version of what expansion means - we should scrub the word and just work of what is good/successful vs bad/failure.

Archived